Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adebayor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

We will never know who was wrong and who was right. It's quite possible AVB should have been able to sort things out. It's also quite possible Ade was unprofessional, lacking effort and openly undermining the coach and a bad influence on the squad.

No player is bigger than the team.

Hopefully he stays professional under Tim but if his effort drops and he can't be sweet talked, he should be dropped again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Consensus seems to be that Adebayor criticised him privately and then did it in front of the team / squad. Perhaps to proud (or arrogant) to reintegrate him into the squad?

I already said I don't know the full facts of all that happened between Ade and AVB, perhaps there was arrogance on AVB's behalf?

There was definitely more involved here than criticism, He did fail to turn up after the African Nations cup.

Look I don't want to just keep defending AVB because It could be his fault completely? Alternatively Ade may have being his own worst enemy and deserved to be dumped. Who knows for definite?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Adebayor has a history of causing trouble at clubs.

AVB has a history of pushing out senior players to present authority.

Hard to say what happened, nor who most likely was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

yiddo59 wrote: »
    If it's facts you want I'll give you 2. Sherwood is managing a very diificult character much better than AVB did. Because of this Spurs are doing very well!

This is a very good point.

If it's facts you want I'll give you 2. Sherwood is managing a very diificult character much better than AVB did. Because of this Spurs are doing very well!

It's also true that he gave Ade a lotta chances last season and he strolled around like he was at the beach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Jaysus there's great chat on the Spurs supporters site. Why are we so lively tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Ormus wrote: »
    It's also true that he gave Ade a lotta chances last season and he strolled around like he was at the beach.

It is indeed and also true that Spurs tried to get shot of Adebayor during the summer window. But when that didn't happen AVB should have brought him back into the squad no matter how much of a tool he was. I could see AVB doing what he did if Adebayor was a midfielder an area where we had plenty cover. We were light up front yet AVB persisted and bite off his nose to spite his face.

A lot of management in football as in business is about managing and getting the best out of the difficult characters. AVB failed badly with Adebayor and ultimitely it cost him his job.

It is indeed and also true that Spurs tried to get shot of Adebayor during the summer window. But when that didn't happen AVB should have brought him back into the squad no matter how much of a tool he was. I could see AVB doing what he did if Adebayor was a midfielder an area where we had plenty cover. We were light up front yet AVB persisted and bite off his nose to spite his face.

A lot of management in football as in business is about managing and getting the best out of the difficult characters. AVB failed badly with Adebayor and ultimitely it cost him his job.

So have Southampton failed with Osvaldo? Should Joey Barton still be at Man City?

Personally I think that having someone in your squad who isn't arsed and disrespects you and their own teammates is poisonous to squad motivation and morale and a bad example to young players.

Fine if you disagree, you would give that kinda player a place in the team no matter how much he takes the mick.

I'm sure the other players would respect you for it.

I'm sure the other strikers would have no problem warming the bench while a guy who is always late for training is picked ahead of them.

Nice man management boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

I suppose good man management would have been getting Adebayor interested in the club again. Not being lazy. Turning up to training on time etc...

That would have been a very difficult job for AVB but with Sherwood it was helped due to the fact Adebayor was interested from day one. Which most likely pointed to proving a point to AVB.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

My take on it is that Tim had one unique tool at his disposal that AVB didn't and that was the ability to offer a fresh start / clean break from the bull**** that went on beforehand without alienating a team. That was offered - peace ad prosperity followed. AVB was damned either way tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

My take on it is that Tim had one unique tool at his disposal that AVB didn't and that was the ability to offer a fresh start / clean break from the bull**** that went on beforehand without alienating a team. That was offered - peace ad prosperity followed. AVB was damned either way tbh.

I think this is key. Too much had happened between AVB and Ade for either to back down. Both are to blame really, though the real loser was AVB because had AVB managed to get Ade to play like this for him he may not have lost his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    Jaysus there's great chat on the Spurs supporters site. Why are we so lively tonight?

Think it's called Tottenham's Thursday Night Syndrome:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Ade is playing like a man making up for lost time, reminiscent of Drogba on occasion. It’ll probably go títs up next season but for now he’s found a purple patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Well done Manu, always knew you had the ability, I always supported you during the tough times, keep it up pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

AVB was wrong with Adebayor. The best forward at the club and he choose to completely ignore him.

He didn't completely ignore him. Lest you forget AVB was in charge for the season previous to this also, and I seem to recall Ade getting plenty of minutes during that season, and doing sweet fcuk all with them.

Also, did Ade not come out and say he openly criticised AVB at training or something? If he did then he's as big a fcuking eijit as he's made out to be, I think less of AVB if he didn't shut him out - provided that's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Well done Manu, always knew you had the ability, I always supported you during the tough times, keep it up pal.

Go on outta that ya tramp;)

Go on outta that ya tramp;)

:) goal machine our manu

irishmover wrote: »
    I suppose good man management would have been getting Adebayor interested in the club again. Not being lazy. Turning up to training on time etc...

That would have been a very difficult job for AVB but with Sherwood it was helped due to the fact Adebayor was interested from day one. Which most likely pointed to proving a point to AVB.

Spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Ade is playing like a man making up for lost time, reminiscent of Drogba on occasion. It’ll probably go títs up next season but for now he’s found a purple patch.

In all honesty we have to sell him this summer don't we? Even if he scores 5ish goals over the rest of the season we could get decent money for him. It's a huge gamble to take on which Adequate will turn up in August.

ziedth wrote: »
    In all honesty we have to sell him this summer don't we? Even if he scores 5ish goals over the rest of the season we could get decent money for him. It's a huge gamble to take on which Adequate will turn up in August.

Agreed. Sell him while his stock is high.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

Agreed. Sell him while his stock is high.

Yeah and then invest in some hotshot Spaniard......

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

Like everyone else, I don't know what really was the cause of the split. What I would say is that last season Ade was clearly in a bad space with all that had gone on in his personal life , and his confidence was in shreds. Of course it infuriated most people , but we all knew how talented he was . The previous year he was fantastic and we all hoped and prayed that the best side of him would return. There were signs last year in the last few games. Anyhow it's all in the past ,and the man is playing as well as he ever has played. In fairness I never ever heard any of the squad ever criticising him , and he genuinely seems and always seemed to be a very popular squad member. The noises from the squad seem to indicate that he IS a disciplined trainer and an example to younger players. Whatever went on before matters not anymore so I am happy to see him doing great things for us.

Another thing to consider is let's say somebody pays £25m or £30m for him and we're all delighted because we know that he can be so poor but IMHO there is nobody out there for that money that would be fit to lace his Ade's boots on his good days.

Another thing to consider is let's say somebody pays £25m or £30m for him and we're all delighted because we know that he can be so poor but IMHO there is nobody out there for that money that would be fit to lace his Ade's boots on his good days.

We'd be lucky to get 7 or 8 million for him

We'd be lucky to get 7 or 8 million for him

Ya Reckon? I did exaggerate to emphasize the point but with the season he is having I would have thought he'd go for closer to 20 given the season he's had. I think he's only 30 this year like.

If it's less then 10 I'd think I'd take the gamble.

Ya Reckon? I did exaggerate to emphasize the point but with the season he is having I would have thought he'd go for closer to 20 given the season he's had. I think he's only 30 this year like.

If it's less then 10 I'd think I'd take the gamble.

I'd take someones hand off if it meant us getting 6/7 million and getting him off the books. No chance someone would pay near 20m considering his age and history.

Yeah he's acquired a reputation of playing well when he wants a contract. He's nearing 30 and on big wages.

My guess is his next club will be in Asia or Middle East.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Presume the next manager will have a say? You never know, Wenger might take him.

I'd take someones hand off if it meant us getting 6/7 million and getting him off the books. No chance someone would pay near 20m considering his age and history.

Maybe your right. For some reason I did think he had 12 goals this season and not 8 so I was thinking (wishfully) that he could break 20 and that would maybe mean one more big move before a money grab to the states or Asia. Your Valuation is probably allot more accurate.

I still stick by my original point that he might be worth the gamble next season given his contribution this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I reckon we could get somewhere in the region of £10-15m for him if we were to sell him, which would be a great deal considering his wages.

Advertisement