Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outlook 2010 - Question re highlighted messages in Inbox

Options
  • 06-02-2013 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭

I recently installed Office 2010 and left Outlook in its default mode.

My problem is this:

As I scroll down through messages (which by default as in BOLD in the Inbox), as they open in the Read pane on the right, they switch from Bold to normal text.

I would like to be able to delete unwanted messages to the Deleted Folder still in their Bold form. Therefore, if I ever go looking for read messages in the Deleted folder, they show up against the unwanted Bold messages.

In short, I only want my read messages to switch to un-Bold form - all others to remain in Bold.

How can I set up Outlook so that it does this?

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

The only way you can delete messages that are still considered unread (or bold as you said), you have to drag the email to the Deleted Items because if you select it, it will mark as read before you get to delete it. Alternatively, if you do this - right click on said mail and select "Mark as Unread", then move it to Deleted.

Update: File > Options > Mail > Reading Pane > Untick "Mark item as read when selection changes" > OK > OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

wouldn't turning off auto-marked-as-read solve this problem?

For example, unless i doubleclick and open the mail message in a new window, the mail won't be marked as read.
    i can still view the contents in the read pane below.

layout - Reading Pane - Options should allow you to configure this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Maybe not exactly what you're looking for...
    Change the Way Unread Messages are Highlighted in Outlook

To change the way unread mail is highlighted in Outlook:

Select View | Current View | Customize Current View... from the menu while you are in your Outlook Inbox.
    (In Outlook 2003, choose View | Arrange By | Current View | Customize Current View.)

Click on Automatic Formatting.
    Select Unread Messages.
    Click on Font....
    Specify your desired settings.
    Click OK.

There you can also add more rules of your own as to how Outlook shall handle certain messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

MiCr0 wrote: »
    wouldn't turning off auto-marked-as-read solve this problem?

For example, unless i doubleclick and open the mail message in a new window, the mail won't be marked as read.
    i can still view the contents in the read pane below.

layout - Reading Pane - Options should allow you to configure this
    Ah you are correct, this will mark the email read once double-clicked to be viewed in a new window. In Office 2010 it's the following

File > Options > Mail > Reading Pane > Untick "Mark item as read when selection changes" > OK > OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Dinarius

advertsfox wrote: »
    Ah you are correct, this will mark the email read once double-clicked to be viewed in a new window. In Office 2010 it's the following

File > Options > Mail > Reading Pane > Untick "Mark item as read when selection changes" > OK > OK.

Brilliant!

Will make searching my Deleted folder a lot easier!

Many thanks!

D.

• Advertisement
Advertisement