Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

getting rid of car- can I get scrapage price?

Options
  • 06-02-2013 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

I have a 2000 Renault Megane which was working fine but we just got a new car, so we want to scrap it. I rang around a few places and they said they couldn't use the parts and one guy said he would take it away for free. Ideally I would like to get some money for it. Does anyone know of anyone or have any ideas?
    Thanks a mil

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

if its working fine someone might buy it from you.
    be honest with the add and list its faults so your not wasting your and potential buyers time
    advertise it on donedeal or adverts.ie I think adverts.ie is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 sumeas

You should get around E150 in scrap yards for parts, ring around ask for 200 settle for 150

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭ThreeLineWhip

Need to be careful with scrap yards, some will try and con you saying you have to pay them for taking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

How much do you want for it? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you do scrap it, make sure you get an end-of-life certificate.

You cannot be charged for depositing an end-of-life vehicle at an authorised treatment facility, if you are the registered owner of that vehicle and the vehicle is intact. Please remember to bring the vehicle registration documents with you.

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    If you do scrap it, make sure you get an end-of-life certificate.

You cannot be charged for depositing an end-of-life vehicle at an authorised treatment facility, if you are the registered owner of that vehicle and the vehicle is intact. Please remember to bring the vehicle registration documents with you.
    The scrapyards round here all charge for those certs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Scrap yards will offer you €80 ish .....

Depends, I had no problem getting €400 for a car and he collected.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭furmi

Put it up on Done Deal. Shake the tree... see what falls. You might get a surprise.

www.donedeal.ie costs €1

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I have a 2000 Renault Megane which was working fine but we just got a new car, so we want to scrap it. I rang around a few places and they said they couldn't use the parts and one guy said he would take it away for free. Ideally I would like to get some money for it. Does anyone know of anyone or have any ideas?
    Thanks a mil

Reliable very cheap cars are not ten a penny so it seems a shame to scrap it. Try donedeal as suggested.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i recently got €150 each for two fairly dead Fiestas...you should easily get this. Make sure you re-register it in the new owners name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

If your selling it I may be interested, how much do you want for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭sunshinegirly

thanks a mil for all the responses. Does anyone have any contact numbers or suggestions. I'll take €100-150, but they need to collect it and I'm based in Kimmage.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭sunshinegirly

I'd take €150 ish- are you a dealer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

furmi wrote: »
    www.donedeal.ie costs €1

I know were not talking a hell of a lot of money but last time I advertised a motor on donedeal it cost €3 an another €4 on top of that was whacked off my credit by the end of the call

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

The scrapyards round here all charge for those certs.

Are they charging for the certs or charging for collecting the car and bringing it to the yard? They can charge a fee if the "essential components" have been removed or other waste added.

It's illegal for an authorised facilities to charge for issuing a certificate of destruction under S.I. No. 282/2006 — Waste Management (End-Of-Life Vehicles) Regulations 2006

Sect 19 prohibits charging for issuing a cert
    (3) An authorised treatment facility shall not impose any charge, financial or otherwise, on the Minister, registered owner, authorised person of a local authority or member of An Garda Síochána for the supply of information under sub-article (1) nor for the issue of a certificate of destruction in respect of an end-of-life vehicle, or an abandoned vehicle that is a specified vehicle, upon its deposit at that facility for appropriate treatment and recovery.

Sect 26 makes it an offence:
    26. (1) Any person who, or authorised treatment facility which, fails to comply with the provisions of articles 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 and 25 on the deposit of an end-of-life vehicle, or an abandoned vehicle that is a specified vehicle, at an authorised treatment facility for appropriate treatment and recovery shall be guilty of an offence.

(2) A person, or authorised treatment facility, shall not provide nor record information that is false or misleading to a material extent nor furnish any such information in, nor in support of, the issue of a certificate of destruction and the notation of such information by the Minister on the joint licensing records of an end-of-life vehicle, or an abandoned vehicle that is a specified vehicle, deposited at an authorised treatment facility for appropriate treatment and recovery.

I'd take €150 ish- are you a dealer?
    Should be doable, considering the price of metal on the market. I got that a few years ago for a rusty lump that was sitting in grass for 5 years, collected and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I know were not talking a hell of a lot of money but last time I advertised a motor on donedeal it cost €3 an another €4 on top of that was whacked off my credit by the end of the call

Why did you call them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Senna wrote: »
    Why did you call them?

Apologies for my error. I meant to say by the time I had placed the ad. In total a little over €7 was taken off my credit

Advertisement