Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 Broadband help. (purchasing a router)

• 06-02-2013 3:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭

I tried to order in a phoneline from Eircom and they said that they weren't able to. For reasons best known to itself, and after trying for months I have given up.

I'm now looking to get broadband elsewhere, since WiMax are unavailable in my area I'm looking at O2.

They have a router called an O2 Hotshot E586.

The specs are as follows:

Share up to five connections at once
    Compatible with Windows, Mac and Linux
    HSDA download speed 21 Mbps
    HSUPA upload speed 5.76 Mbps
    Dimensions: 95.5mm x 49mm x 14.1mm
    Micro SD slot (supports up to 32GB)
    Dimensions: 95.5mm x 49mm x 14.1mm
    Weight: 90gms
    Upload Speed: Up to 5.76 Mbps
    Download Speed: Up to 21 Mbps
    Wi-Fi Range: 10 metres. Plugged in range is 30+ metres
    Battery Life: Up to 4 hours with 5 users connected(standby 100hrs)
    Micro SD Slot: Supports up to 32GB

Now, I'm an online gamer, and I utilize online videos eg: Youtube etc.

This is the most expensive broadband router they have as far as I can see here, it appears to be €79.00 PrePay.

Would this be ideal for me? I just saw the download speed saying up to 21Mbps and my area goes up as far as 8Mbps according to Eircom. That doesn't bother me as I've been using Xbox Live and PSN through a 3Mb connection and had no issues.

But anyway, would I get a decent connection if I got this router?

Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

No not at all, it's a 3G mobile connection - it will have very poor response times and random throughput so gaming online would be dire.

You would want a physical broadband connection if you want to play online (so that's either DSL, UPC or Magnet). I would stick to your 3MB connection.

Actually, can you tell us what modem / router you use with Eircom so we can check your line statistics to see what your line can physically handle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

No no I don't have internet this very minute (I'm in my mother's house using the laptop).

Basically what happened is that an Eircom lad told me he can't stick a phone line into my house because I have to lift tiles to do it and even though I have permission from the landlord to do it, the lad at Eircom can't tell if the line is going into my house or the house next door to me....... It would be helpful to know if not only for the fact that nobody lives next door.

My last resort seems to be mobile broadband as I can't find any other way to get internet in my house.

A line is available in my area, it can go as high as 8Mb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

gamercfc wrote: »
    No no I don't have internet this very minute (I'm in my mother's house using the laptop).

Basically what happened is that an Eircom lad told me he can't stick a phone line into my house because I have to lift tiles to do it and even though I have permission from the landlord to do it, the lad at Eircom can't tell if the line is going into my house or the house next door to me....... It would be helpful to know if not only for the fact that nobody lives next door.

My last resort seems to be mobile broadband as I can't find any other way to get internet in my house.

A line is available in my area, it can go as high as 8Mb.
    Ok well in that case, get in touch with Eircom again. They legally have to provide a phone line to every single house in Ireland so ring up and order it again. Don't go with mobile, it's just not going to work for gaming - basic browsing etc. would be fine but not for a constant demand and low response time. If all else fails, post up here too:

http://community.eircom.net

Advertisement