Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thatched cottage insurance

Options
  • 06-02-2013 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me of any places that will insure a thatched cottage in ireland other than finsure please and thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Do you own it, or renting it, and how old is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭heffoo

Renting it but im just enquiring for the owners it was built arount 1997

Maybe contact http://www.irishthatchowners.com/information.html ?

Also, do you have any fire extinguishers or a hose reel in the house?

http://www.philipdoranthatcher.ie/FAQS.html
    Thatched houses generally carry a loading on Insurance premiums. These increased premiums are not necessarily prohibitive, and some Insurance companies might simply require fire extinguishers present on site or a hose reels.

Seems most people are saying the insurance is in the 2k to 3k mark :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭heffoo

Only an extinguisher i always find it weird that they ask that as they are as safe and fireproof as any building, thanks very much for your help.

heffoo wrote: »
    Only an extinguisher i always find it weird that they ask that as they are as safe and fireproof as any building, thanks very much for your help.
    Although some thatched roofs are chemically sprayed to make them less likely to go on fire, a lot of people find it too expensive (I think it's about €3k to get it done, every 5 to 10 years), a lot of people probably don't, and thus electrical faults could cause them to go up in smoke,

• Advertisement
Advertisement