Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fuse : 1.5A 250V

Options
  • 06-02-2013 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

Hi - I have a query in relation to a fuse in my home.

A fuse went over the weekend in an applicance we have. The fuse is a 1.5A 250V (the very same to look at, as these http://www.amazon.com/1-5A-250v-Fuses-5x20mm-F1-5A/dp/B004HM2E1K)

My OH went to a local harware store where they sold her a slightly different type of fuse (a 1A fuse with no V displayed). My question is, if we replace the blown 1.5A fuse with the 1A fuse, is this likely to work ? Or would it potentially do damage of any sort ?

As you can guess, I don't know the first thing about electricals.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

What was the item it was in?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 sumeas

Be safe, spend the euro on the correct fuse, might save your life!

sumeas wrote: »
    Be safe, spend the euro on the correct fuse, might save your life!

Not driving to the shop is far more likely to save your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 sumeas

Drive, walk, whatever you have to go at somestage, Tesco have a hold on you

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭sasol

Bruthal wrote: »
    What was the item it was in?

It is for an inbuilt fan that we have on an inset stove (i.e. the fan blows out warm air to ajoining rooms which it is switched on and the stove is lighting).

The fan stopped working last weekend and when I checked the fuse it looked as if it was blown - when herself got the 1A (instead of 1.5A) fuse, I was wondering if that would suffice, but from the response here it sounds like it won't...

• Advertisement

sasol wrote: »
    It is for an inbuilt fan that we have on an inset stove (i.e. the fan blows out warm air to ajoining rooms which it is switched on and the stove is lighting).

The fan stopped working last weekend and when I checked the fuse it looked as if it was blown - when herself got the 1A (instead of 1.5A) fuse, I was wondering if that would suffice, but from the response here it sounds like it won't...

Put it in and try it. It is a smaller rated one than the one that was in it. The worst that will happen is it will just blow the fuse again. Not the life ending doom the other poster mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

ive a few 1.25 amp fuses here. if your stuck gimme a pm and ill give ye a few to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Bruthal wrote: »
    Put it in and try it. It is a smaller rated one than the one that was in it. The worst that will happen is it will just blow the fuse again. Not the life ending doom the other poster mentioned.

My thoughts exactly.

Would all the other posters stop being so melodramatic:(.(That fuse seems a bit of a odd type fuse.)The fuse you got OP is actually smaller so it will blow quicker, so its actually safer....

There is a fuse freely available thats for shavers, its a 1amp fuse 250volt

http://www.diytools.co.uk/1-amp-fuse.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

radionics do all sorts and sizes of fuses

• Registered Users Posts: 7,586 ✭✭✭Tow

The fuse in the link is fast blow 'F', for protecting electronics. If the fuse protected a motor chances are it is time delay 'T'.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Check out the fan before replacing the fuse, make sure it's free to move etc... Although some times fuses just blow, more often than not there is a reason why they did blow...

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭sasol

Check out the fan before replacing the fuse, make sure it's free to move etc... Although some times fuses just blow, more often than not there is a reason why they did blow...

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

The fan isn't very accessible - it is an inset stove, so the fan is inbuilt into the stove (Nestor Martin ITH33).

What would the reasons for a fuse blowing (anything I need to be fearful of ) ?

Advertisement