Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What way should 16-18 year old compete in mma ? what rules ?

Options
  • 06-02-2013 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

do you think it should be the old c rules ? new c rules ? or indeed wait to there 18 ?

i just want opinons or what way you run it on your show regarding teens
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I think there have been a few "no headshots" U18 competitions in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bobmma123

gimmick wrote: »
    I think there have been a few "no headshots" U18 competitions in Cork.

do you think thats the way teens should compete ? is ground and pound too much for them do you think ?

alot of referees have refused to ref is this because they want new rules is so what is it they recommend for teens ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I would think so. I certainly that head shots without headgear are a no no anyway. Teens practicing MMA in my gym generally train in submission, strength and serious cardio. I think that is probably the way to go.

gimmick wrote: »
    I would think so. I certainly that head shots without headgear are a no no anyway. Teens practicing MMA in my gym generally train in submission, strength and serious cardio. I think that is probably the way to go.

i dont know personally i think under 18 old c class

over 18 new c class

i want to know the referees opinons

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Carvin

No headshots seems sensible from a safety standpoint. But from a sport standpoint, doesn't that seriously disadvantage anyone working on striking or coming in from a kickboxing type MA?

• Advertisement

Carvin wrote: »
    No headshots seems sensible from a safety standpoint. But from a sport standpoint, doesn't that seriously disadvantage anyone working on striking or coming in from a kickboxing type MA?

so would you say everyone should do headshots on the ground or whats your opinon on rules and at what age

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Carvin

bobmma123 wrote: »
    so would you say everyone should do headshots on the ground or whats your opinon on rules and at what age

I thought headshots standing but none on the ground seemed good.
    Though headgear might also be appropriate provided it doesn't interfere with the ground game too much.

GnP is mainly for finishing and/or causing damage. If you're holding a top position or dropping them in standing you're scoring points anyway.

I think any line drawn is going to have drawbacks somewhere.

I think any line drawn is going to have drawbacks somewhere.[/QUOTE]

very true there will always be controversy

the simple way i feel is under 18 should do a couple mma leauge and then old c and over 18 should be new c rules

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

I am happy with old C this has pretty much been agreed already with promoters

I am happy with old C this has pretty much been agreed already with promoters

yeah old c seems the best way especially for up and comers.

would you say there should be no GnP under 18 ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

There is already teen rules, this applies to age 17, at 18 you are an adult and fight Amateur, There is no such thing as C class, There is Pro, Amateur and Teen rules

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OLDMAN1

cowzerp wrote: »
    There is already teen rules, this applies to age 17, at 18 you are an adult and fight Amateur, There is no such thing as C class, There is Pro, Amateur and Teen rules

Why no leg locks?

I always disagreed from no leglocks

Just there a appease BJJ guys

Plus a teen can do them at the leagues which makes a joke of that rule

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Surely the lack of leglocks in the rulesets is for safety?

I don't think anyone wants kids heel hooking the legs off each other and ruining a potential career just so they can fight "like the pros" before they really should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Kieran81

I always disagreed from no leglocks

Just there a appease BJJ guys

Plus a teen can do them at the leagues which makes a joke of that rule

Why are they there to appease bjj guys ,Because bjj doesn't allow them until brown belt level ? I think it's a great rule in bjj as it steers White/blue/purple belts in the direction of learning how to pass somebody's guard and get to side control or mount , I think that translates over to mma in the same way , guys early in their career learn how to pass the guard and gain dominant position instead of getting "stuck" in half guard (just an example of position) and lookin for a leg/foot lock , I know which way I would look on as more beneficial for younger guys with a view to fighting pro

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

we'll have to agree to disagree on that one then :)

OLDMAN1 wrote: »
    Why no leg locks?

Very simply for safety reasons, The aim of Teen MMA is just experience with minimum risk, Leg locks are more damaging and can go wrong easier than arm locks and can have longer term complications, plus the BJJ point has to be taken on board, Most MMA Clubs have BJJ as their main art and therefore knowledge of leglocks at the low levels would not be great, so people not really trained in leg locks are going to get hurt, MMA at Teen level it must be stressed is just practise while you are learning.

I don't see the big issue as it's not like they're a massive part of the game at Amateur or Pro level anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OLDMAN1

cowzerp wrote: »
    Very simply for safety reasons, The aim of Teen MMA is just experience with minimum risk, Leg locks are more damaging and can go wrong easier than arm locks and can have longer term complications, plus the BJJ point has to be taken on board, Most MMA Clubs have BJJ as their main art and therefore knowledge of leglocks at the low levels would not be great, so people not really trained in leg locks are going to get hurt, MMA at Teen level it must be stressed is just practise while you are learning.

I don't see the big issue as it's not like they're a massive part of the game at Amateur or Pro level anyway!

No one wants to see teenagers using heelhooks-My question had nothing to do with bjj, the reason i asked was i found it strange that they use them in the mma league...

OLDMAN1 wrote: »
    No one wants to see teenagers using heelhooks-My question had nothing to do with bjj, the reason i asked was i found it strange that they use them in the mma league...

The MMA league rules where made a long time ago and in reality i don't use MMA league as a comparison for MMA competition, Its sub wrestling with some strikes.

• Advertisement

Teens are far more at risk from getting knocked out than leglocks

The rule has been insisted apon by BJJ practisers to suit their own end whether it is admitted or not

I don't drive to a competition with a teen worrying if they will get knee barred or ankle locked

I do however worry a bit about bringing them home to their parents badly busted up

i think people are looking at it from the wrong angle , young fighters should be shown that the most efficient way to beat someone on the ground is to work to a dominant position and finish him , so the rules for youngsters should be set to encourage fighters to fight in that fashion , thats not favouring any particular style of fighting , its not about protecting guys from techniques/holds , just simply showing young fighters the most efficient , proven method to win fights and teaching them learn skills that will be more beneficial , which should be the bottom line for guys starting to fight

Advertisement