Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from AH

Options
  • 06-02-2013 5:22pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭

AfternoonI was recently banned from Afterhours for one week for ignoring warning or InfractionsBefore I started the thread I was aware that I might have had an infraction.When i checked I saw that all had expired so I proceeded to start the threadInstantly I was banned with consultationWhen I asked the Mod I was greeted with attitude and also obscenitys.None of which I had done soThese included:"You know that you had a thread starting ban. Don't even bother trying to get around it by "according to boards system". You were given a warning not to start any more stupid threads, you were then given a warning not to start any more threads. So this thread has resulted in a ban. "andwhoopsadaisydoodles Moderator
    "If you had said to me that you forgot about the thread starting ban and you were sorry that it wouldn't happen again, I probably would have believed you and lifted your ban. But when you try to bullsh*t me with the "boards system" when you knew exactly what you were doing, you've lost all credibility and your ban remains in place"firstly a Mod should not be referring to a thread as stupid.Its a mods job to be unbiased and control the forum.Without these so called stupid threads this website would be worth 000.000.They should be expected to be unbiased and professional.This is a business afterallSecondly the Mod decided to use obscenity towards me.None of which I had done.They are expeted to be professionalAs I stated to the mod I thought I did have an infraction.I did and it had expired so I started the threadMy question is how can this be fair and how can the mod have this attitude.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

p.s apologies about the strange text.I use a software which means at times the browser is different to the norm and can be misleading to how it looks when posted

• Registered Users Posts: 33,686 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Hi sfwcork,

One of the Rec CMods will look into this and get back to you.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Hi sfwcork,

Firstly I would like to assure you that nearly all mod actions are unbiased. The people who expect mods to be professional are those who don't or wouldn't contribute to having them paid. Until you are willing to hire a mod, the professional argument is moot.

On to the crux of the issue. Your ban.

On the 25-01-13 you received this on thread warning
    We don't care.

Anymore stupid pointless threads and it will be a long time before you'll start another one.

Fair warning.

You ignored it and continued to start threads.

On the 26-01-13 you received this on thread warning:
    As per my warning to you yesterday.

Don't start anymore threads in After Hours until April 25th.

Mods often use these types of instruction to get a point across without having anything stick to your record. You simply chose to ignore a mod instruction twice.

The above warning is in effect until that date. You started another thread long before that time and were banned for it.

For the record, Since the 26-10-12. You have started 58 threads in After Hours, 14 of those were locked. People starting threads is not the issue, but it's the quantity and lack of quality is.

This is why you received your on thread warning. You received your ban for ignoring this on thread warning.

It is black and white and I see no reason to over turn this ban.

Please be advised, once this ban is up. The original Mod instruction still stands.

I didnt know i had a ban or warning because my account didnt show it.hense i started the thread

How is it fair that i banned when i didnt know.If i was that desperate to start a thread i could have just done so by opening another account couldnt i?

Why have a system if its not utilised?

You havnt addressed my point how the mod used obscenities when i didnt.can they do what they want while punishing others?

You arguement that because a job is non profit or voluntary means that they can be as unprofessional as they like is flawed big time.Thats like saying If i volunteer in a charity shop i can be rude to the customers if i do so for the guide dogs i can boot the puppy up his ass

At the end of the day every user here is important for the revenue.its a business last time i checked

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Hi sfwcork,

If I may, I would like to address your points in reverse order.

Yes, every poster is important. The fact that we have avenues to discuss this very matter is proof of that. Every poster here has a place to have their voice heard if they feel wronged.

And yes, boards.ie has turned into a business.
    It started as one small community, a few mates, that wanted to share ideas and chat about a common interest.
    That small community turned into two then three and so on. Then the internet thing got kind of big and boards grew with it.
    That one community turned into hundreds over the 13+ years the site has been around. Rumour has it, they used to have site wide beers back in the day.
    In that small founder community were people who had the tech skills to keep the site running while it grew. It got to a stage where if the site was to keep running it needed full time staff, and only a fool would turn down the chance to make money off something they started and loved. We wouldn't be talking right now of they decided not to.

I'm just reminiscing now so I'll get back to my original point. We are still as much a community as it was then. Don't be letting "business" cloud your idea of what boards actually is.

To move on.

You say a mod was obscene with you. I have read the PM's between yourself and the mod. They may have been direct but they were no where near obscene.

Every forum has a system, and over all they work well.

To be completely straight with you sfwcork, you put yourself in a no win position.
    You admit to not reading the on thread warning but checking to see if you were infracted/warned.
    Every time we start a thread or make a post we automatically follow that thread. So, you either ignored the mod instruction or don't follow the threads you started.

Either way the warning and ban were justified.

You may ask for an Admin review of my reasoning if you wish.

• Advertisement

When i went to school bullsh|t was obscene.

I stated i checked if i had an nfraction.I didnt so i carried on...thus im punished for followng theb rules of the system which state i had ZERO infraction

I fail to see how you dont get this.

I never once stated that i ddnt read the thread that stated i had a warning.i did,forgot so just checked if i had an infraction,when i didnt i posted

You might be surprised to know that i dont remember everyone on here
    Im been punished for following your system

How can i win?

You state the system works..how does it when i followed it but im punished..It clearly said no nfraction?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Warnings posted in the thread are a very common way for a moderator to give a poster a heads-up that their behaviour isn't acceptable. If you're telling me that you didn't see the two clear warnings, then you're basically saying that you are starting threads and then not reading the replies on them - which makes the warnings all the more pertinent.

You are now well aware of the warnings. Since the warnings themselves didn't register, hopefully the ban has. When the ban is up, think carefully before you start a thread in AH.

In short: the ban is upheld.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement