Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

whats up with my spots?

• 06-02-2013 5:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭

So whenever l start to drink more water, 2litres a day & switch to a healthier diet, balanced, l break out in spots & blemishes on my chin & forehead.

Is this normal? Does it happen to anyone else?

My aunt reckons its the water "cleaning out the skin" ie. getting rid of the spots.

Make sense to anyone :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

My aunt reckons its the water "cleaning out the skin" ie. getting rid of the spots.

I'm not sure what is causing your problem but this is nonsense, your aunt hasn't a clue what she's talking about. Smile and nod when says stuff like this if you like but it's pseudo scientific silliness.

Don't force yourself to drink loads of water. Drinking two extra litres on top of other liquids you take in during the day sounds excessive. There's no reason I can think of that this would cause spots but people have a lot of silly notions about water "purifying" the body. You kidneys and liver process toxins from your body, and they do it very well. They don't need excessive amounts of water to do it either. If anything you're making your kidneys work even harder because they have to filter excess water out of your body. The body isn't a dirty pot that needs to be washed it, its an amazingly complex chemical factory and excessive amounts of anything will cause it problems.

Is there any chance that during these "healthy" periods you clean your face excessively? Any damage or abrasion to the skin can contribute to outbreaks. When you eat differently, are you adding unusual foods you wouldn't normally? You may be a having a bad reaction to something specific that might not normally be in your diet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

I don't drink more than 2 litres, alot of days I mighten even drink that amount. I only drink water tbh.

No not eating anything unusual, just adding extra veg, fruit & cutting back on biscuits & sweets etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

And what about your skin care routine? Do you change it at all or does it stay the same when you start the healthy buzz? Are you working out on a daily basis? What else alters during these stages?

ya l keep the same skin routine & keep using the same products. I go walking most days for 30min & some days do a workout, nothing too much. tbh nothing alters at all just healthier food & more water!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Personally I don't think your aunt is wrong, I always get few pimples when I start a new health kick and just assumed it was part of the detox process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Your aunt is 100% right. Its all part of your bodys detox! Keep it up, obviously you had toxins to get rid of and these can come out through your skin. :)

Lux23 wrote: »
    Personally I don't think your aunt is wrong, I always get few pimples when I start a new health kick and just assumed it was part of the detox process.

after a while do you notice you don't get as many spots? how long does it take for you're skin to clear?

mine usually last for 2-3wks :o

Lux23 wrote: »
    Gee_G wrote: »
    Your aunt is 100% right. Its all part of your bodys detox! Keep it up, obviously you had toxins to get rid of and these can come out through your skin. :)

You people.

There is no such thing as a "detox". Your body constantly processes the toxins that your body generates - the liver breaks them down and the kidneys filter them from the blood. The notion of a "detox" comes from, variably; New Age nonsense, pseudo-religious claptrap, and ignorant "health" fads. You and the OP's Aunt and whoever else keep telling each other these answers because they sound cool and seem to make sense intuitively but it shows total ignorance of even basic biology. Your body knows how to look after itself.

New York Times Article

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭gingernut125

A change in diet can lead to your skin acting up, but once your body gets used to it your skin will clear up and will look much better because your eating better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Zillah wrote: »

You people.

There is no such thing as a "detox". Your body constantly processes the toxins that your body generates - the liver breaks them down and the kidneys filter them from the blood. The notion of a "detox" comes from, variably; New Age nonsense, pseudo-religious claptrap, and ignorant "health" fads. You and the OP's Aunt and whoever else keep telling each other these answers because they sound cool and seem to make sense intuitively but it shows total ignorance of even basic biology. Your body knows how to look after itself.

New York Times Article
    You people?? Me??! You are telling me I'm talking nonsense. I am a fully Qualified Beauty Therapist, Massage Therapist, College Tutor and am highly experienced. So don't try and tell me what you eat and drink doesn't affect your skins condition when I am performing treatments every day of the week.

ANYWAY op, just keep up the water intake and it will make a big difference to your skin! :)

• Advertisement

Gee_G wrote: »
    You people?? Me??! You are telling me I'm talking nonsense. I am a fully Qualified Beauty Therapist, Massage Therapist, College Tutor and am highly experienced. So don't try and tell me what you eat and drink doesn't affect your skins condition when I am performing treatments every day of the week.

I didn't say that what you eat and drink doesn't affect your skin. I said it has nothing to do with purging toxins. If you think that it does then you don't know what you're talking about, and if they taught you that in Beauty Therapist School then they don't know what they're talking about either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Do you use a heavy moisturiser or make up at all? other then diet (which you say is good) I'm thinking that while your sweating during workouts that your moisturiser or make up (if wearing it) could be blocking up your pores. ....Just something to keep in mind..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Meow tis like a cat fight..Pop a chill pill Zillah... Stop dissing because you dont belive in things others do keep an open mind.. Likely is just the change of diet and all that goes. I know if I eat a lot of crappy foods I would break out in spots on my chin.. Stick with it, 3 weeks might seem a long time but imgine the benefits after. Try a bit of tea tree oil on the spots or toothpaste I find always works wonders if you want to get rid of them fast. Moisturisers too, you can over moisturise, only put it on if you need too like when wearing makeup tis good to let the skin breath...hope you have some success with it

tan11ie wrote: »
    Do you use a heavy moisturiser or make up at all? other then diet (which you say is good) I'm thinking that while your sweating during workouts that your moisturiser or make up (if wearing it) could be blocking up your pores. ....Just something to keep in mind..

Dont wear any make-up other than eyeliner & mascara, no l wouldn't say my moisturiser is heavy, but thats a good point never thought of that

Milly33 wrote: »
    Meow tis like a cat fight..Pop a chill pill Zillah... Stop dissing because you dont belive in things others do keep an open mind.. Likely is just the change of diet and all that goes. I know if I eat a lot of crappy foods I would break out in spots on my chin.. Stick with it, 3 weeks might seem a long time but imgine the benefits after. Try a bit of tea tree oil on the spots or toothpaste I find always works wonders if you want to get rid of them fast. Moisturisers too, you can over moisturise, only put it on if you need too like when wearing makeup tis good to let the skin breath...hope you have some success with it

coming to think of it, l think l do use alot of moisturiser on my skin, esp my forehead!

Ya l'll stick with it, another few spots have come up again but l think they'll eventually clear up with the healthy diet & water :)

Twas something a lady said to me years ago, I was younger then :( but had a lot of spots and she said not to be putting moisturiser on at night and that unless I really needed it, or even during the day.. seemed to work.. Happy new diet and watering..fair play

Stop dissing because you dont belive in things others do keep an open mind..

If you have too much of an open mind your brain will fall out :)

This is biology, not philosophy, you're either right or wrong and all of this talk about toxins is wrong. Diet can of course affect skin, but this fad of blaming things on toxins makes no sense and leaves people vulnerable to scam artists, wasting their money on products that do nothing, while claiming to "detox" and "cleanse" and other nonsensical but cool-sounding words.

Twas something a lady said to me years ago, I was younger then :( but had a lot of spots and she said not to be putting moisturiser on at night and that unless I really needed it, or even during the day.. seemed to work.. Happy new diet and watering..fair play

ya l was told before not to put it on at night so l don't useless its after a shower..thanks!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

The catty, condescending and sniping remarks stop here. Move on please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

after a while do you notice you don't get as many spots? how long does it take for you're skin to clear?

mine usually last for 2-3wks :o

A few days maybe, unless I don't cleanse properly and some of the buggers really take hold.

• Advertisement

Twee. wrote: »
    The catty, condescending and sniping remarks stop here. Move on please.

Ne stress, I send you flowers Zillah :0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

I noticed the exact same thing OP when I started drinking a lot more water, I'm a guy so don't wear make-up although I'll admit I probably am a little metro with regard to shaving & skin care.
    I figured it was just the extra water cleansing my system out and it cleared after a week or so, stick with the later and see how you get on. BTY you should be aiming for 2 litres total intake so you have to factor in tea, milk, fruit juices etc.

I always thought it was just plain water as such you would factor into the intake..Yeah that means I am drinking more than I thought I was...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

I was surprised to when I found out but it was my GP who I find to be great who told me, it does make sense though when you think about it.
    I wouldn't count coffee or soft drinks as they can be diuretic to the body.

I always thought it was just plain water as such you would factor into the intake..Yeah that means I am drinking more than I thought I was...

Food is actually included as well, you'd be surprised how much water is in solids.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 LemonWorld

Gillo wrote: »
    I was surprised to when I found out but it was my GP who I find to be great who told me, it does make sense though when you think about it.
    I wouldn't count coffee or soft drinks as they can be diuretic to the body.

They're only mild diuretics though, so even though they'll cause a small bit of the fluid consumed to be excreted you'll still have an overall net gain in your intake, but obviously slightly less than if you were to drink plain water.

Just said l'd give this thread an update...

Have noticed a difference in my skin, managed to drink 2 litres of water daily (ok almost daily) for the past few weeks.

l definitely think at the start (re: spots) that it was the water clearing my skin. Haven't had a bad spot since, just small little ones that don't bother me.

Skin doesn't or look as dry as it use to. It does look more clear also. So overall l'm happy with the results! :D

so it works then!! Well done for keeping it up.. It can be so annoying seeing spots all the time.. But if it is all for the better...

Advertisement