Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal County Down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,369 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

AGC wrote: »
    Played it Ulster Youths in around 2000/2001 and th elocal caddies said they make a fortune on that hole. Normally a few young lads wait at the back of the green and if anyone hits a drive remotley near the green the ball ends up in the hole:D

Nice pay day, especially from a few of the wealthier yanks!
    Unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭dwayned

Hi Guys,

First of all apologies Mods if this is against rules, I am not associated in any way with the club.

I came across this flyer on our clubs notice board and thought there may be some interested parties seeing a lot of people normally take advantage of the Winter rates to play the course but have to put up with the winter weather.

Mourne Golf Club Open week - 8th July - 12 July.
    Which is played in Royal County Down Championship Links
    Entry: £50 for most comps

Website: http://home.btconnect.com/mournegolfclub/Frames.html

From what I gather Mourne use the RCD courses - Mens comps on Championship Links and Ladies/Mixed on Annesly Links.

I called the club today but you cannot book until Mon 18th but I am booking myself and Dad as a fathers day pressie.

See below for the flyer - apologies for clarity of picture

2013-06-10204710_zpse9ce84c5.jpg

cheers
    Dwayne

:)

[IMG]http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/<a class=outboundlink data-outboundlink=http://www.boards.ie/out?f=343&url=aHR0cCUzQSUyRiUyRnMxMjg1LnBob3RvYnVja2V0LmNvbSUyRnVzZXIlMkZEd2F5bmVfRG91Z2xhcyUyRm1lZGlhJTJGMjAxMy0wNi0xMDIwNDcxMF96cHNlOWNlODRjNS5qcGcuaHRtbA==&h=a38b2 href=http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/Dwayne_Douglas/media/2013-06-10204710_zpse9ce84c5.jpg.html target=_blank >[/img]2013-06-10204710_zpse9ce84c5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Had seen this and going to head for the 4ball on the Friday.

Mike

mike12 wrote: »
    Had seen this and going to head for the 4ball on the Friday.

Mike

make sure and check the Traffic News though - the 12th can be pretty mad traffic wise (depending on where the parades are)- though it might not be as bad in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Finlay Harp

Lads. Traffic coming from Dublin is going to be fine on the twelth. Head from Newry to Hilltown to Castlewellan to Newcastle. Without sounding political these are all Nationalist areas with no parades planned. Plenty of good bars and restaurants with anyone making a night of it. Feel free to ask me questions as its only down the road from me. Open week in Mourne is always flat out due to the bargain of playing RCD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I like the sound of this, might try and get up for one of the singles comps with by brother. Will the time-sheet fill up quick?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Finlay Harp

YayaBanana wrote: »
    I like the sound of this, might try and get up for one of the singles comps with by brother. Will the time-sheet fill up quick?

In a word yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

In a word yes.

Does the sheet open early on the 18th?

denisoc16 wrote: »
    Does the sheet open early on the 18th?

When I spoke to them they said to call any time after 8:30am.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

dwayned wrote: »
    When I spoke to them they said to call any time after 8:30am.

:D

This is going to be like trying to get one direction tickets that morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Beaulieu

Got 2 singles for Open Week. Stg£50 to play RCD in July on Championship Links....:D:D:D:D

Beaulieu wrote: »
    Got 2 singles for Open Week. Stg£50 to play RCD in July on Championship Links....:D:D:D:D

Sorted aswell. Playing the 4ball on the Friday. Looking forward to it already!!

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Sorted aswell. Playing the 4ball on the Friday. Looking forward to it already!!

Lads I have been trying them for the last two hours or so and all i'm getting is an american acccent answering machine. They'd hardly be full up already for the week, would they??

fearruanua wrote: »
    Lads I have been trying them for the last two hours or so and all i'm getting is an american acccent answering machine. They'd hardly be full up already for the week, would they??

I was getting the same response from 8.30 this morning until the phone was answered around 10.30.

I'd keep trying if I were you. Did you try this number? 02843723218

I was getting the same response from 8.30 this morning until the phone was answered around 10.30.

I'd keep trying if I were you. Did you try this number? 02843723218

Will try again today. Will give that number a shout. Thanks Denis

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭whitefoot

Thanks Dwayne, I booked just now so there are some slots left. I am very grateful that you flagged this opportunity up, good man you.

no probs whitefoot, it has been on my list of places to play since I got back playing regularly.

Booked in to play on 9th July with my Dad - got my dad it for fathers day. Have to get plenty of practice in between now and then, though really looking forward to it.

cheers
    Dwayne

Finally got them today.
    heading up for the friday 4ball on the 12th. up and down from galway on the one day but hopefully it will be worth the trip. Fingers crossed for ok weather.

fearruanua wrote: »
    Finally got them today.
    heading up for the friday 4ball on the 12th. up and down from galway on the one day but hopefully it will be worth the trip. Fingers crossed for ok weather.

Weather looks like it couldn't get any better anyway fearruanua. Playing in the fourball on Friday too. Should be a great day out. Travelling from Cork Friday morning but might stay over somewhere and get a game in on the way down Saturday morning. Open singles in Dunmurry Springs maybe. Hope we don't come across any parades!!

Did anyone on here play in the singles on Monday?

played yesterday with my Dad, course is fantastic, stunning scenery. We were paired with 2 members of Mourne Golf Club and they were very friendly with good insights into the course/lines.

bring lots of water - towards the final stretch it was hard with the heat being so strong.

Will be back again next year I think.

Hope you enjoy it :)

• Advertisement

Weather looks like it couldn't get any better anyway fearruanua. Playing in the fourball on Friday too. Should be a great day out. Travelling from Cork Friday morning but might stay over somewhere and get a game in on the way down Saturday morning. Open singles in Dunmurry Springs maybe. Hope we don't come across any parades!!

Couldn't have gotten better I'd say!! Looks like it might be very hot!! Really looking forward to it now. long ould day but sure it will be worth it : )

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭whitefoot

Yes myself and 3 friends played in the Single SF comp on Monday and we were amazed at how well the course was presented. Short green like grass as paths but no sign of wear, fairways without any divots.....how is this even possible? High maintenance costs and low traffic on the course?

Best looking course for a natural links I ever saw, the holes are very similar to a mix of County Louth Baltry and Laytown & Bettystown.

No access to the Royal County Down clubhouse which appeared closed so you use the faciliaties at Mourne GC which is practically on the grounds anyway. As the comp organiser told me if I want to use the toilets at the clubhouse I will have to come back and pay £180, fair comment.

Savage spot. rough was brutal in places. alot of blind drives and none of us had played before so there was alot of guess work involved. a strokesaver would have been money well spent : ) still i'd personally put tralee ahead of it.
    defo an annual trip from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 802 ✭✭✭m r c

A few of us are playing rcd in April, I was giddy after booking it tbh I've been thinking about playing here for a good while. So it's Baltray on the Wednesday a few pints that eve and Royal County Down in the morning. Can't wait.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭bailey99

Does RCD do open competitions at all?

And for rounds in February and November, do you play off mats? Or what's the catch for the discounted greenfees? If any!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

Played mid week last month for £50 green fee and it was play it as it lies everywhere. Course was immaculate.

Played The European today and I prefer it. Saying that, they're both special

• Closed Accounts Posts: 802 ✭✭✭m r c

bailey99 wrote: »
    Does RCD do open competitions at all?

And for rounds in February and November, do you play off mats? Or what's the catch for the discounted greenfees? If any!

There may be more opens but on page 3 of this thread there is some info on the Mourne GC open week usually held in July.
    We will hopefully have a fully open course in April and the green fees are £100 gbp.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭kevgaa

Played RCD last week. The course was in great shape and as said earlier its play the ball as it lies. The front nine is a beast with a number of blind tee shots. Depending on the wind you may want to leave the driver in the bag for a number of them. Back nine is easier in my opinion as you can see where your going...

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭hrigsby2

Course is in great shape. And got on for 45 GBP...doesn't get much better than that! All hail student winter rates.

+1 on the leave the driver in the bag on the front statement. I learned that on...Hole 11.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Advertisement