Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal County Down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Ronney wrote: »
    Which course are the opens played on?

Just rang rathmore GC. These opens are on the valley course, not the dunluce

4 of us hoping to get to RCD on the 12th of July.

Just rang the office, green fees at £50 per person and £25 per person needed at time of booking. thursday 12th is stroke play.

Timesheets open tomorrow afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭boban z

4 of us hoping to get to RCD on the 12th of July.

Just rang the office, green fees at £50 per person and £25 per person needed at time of booking. thursday 12th is stroke play.

Timesheets open tomorrow afternoon

Any idea of what format is on each day. tried ringing them a number of times today but no answer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

boban z wrote: »
    Any idea of what format is on each day. tried ringing them a number of times today but no answer

In past years theyve had two singles and 2 4balls. Singles strokes on the Thursday, fairly sure the Friday is a fourball. Wednesday is a mixed or a ladies comp, on the Annesley links. I think the other singles/fourball are on monday and tuesday but not sure which day is which. Fairly sure the info can be found on the thread somewhere.

Edit - info on pg 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭pcasso

This is taken from the gogolfing website but I'm not sure if it is one hundred percent accurate

Singles Stableford (Championship) Monday 2 July Open 1
    Fourball Stableford (Championship) Tuesday 3 July Open 1
    Mixed Foursomes (Annesley) Wednesday 4 July Open 1
    Singles Strokes (Championship) Thursday 5 July Open 1
    Fourball V-Par (Championship) Friday 6 July Open 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 jimjim12

pcasso wrote: »
    This is taken from the gogolfing website but I'm not sure if it is one hundred percent accurate

Singles Stableford (Championship) Monday 2 July Open 1
    Fourball Stableford (Championship) Tuesday 3 July Open 1
    Mixed Foursomes (Annesley) Wednesday 4 July Open 1
    Singles Strokes (Championship) Thursday 5 July Open 1
    Fourball V-Par (Championship) Friday 6 July Open 1

I think the dates above are for a previous year. These are the dates I have seen for this year.

Open Week is on 9th July to 13th July.

Monday 9th:
    Open Stableford (Championship Course)

Tuesday 10th:
    Open Fourball Stableford (Championship Course)

Wednesday 11th:
    Open Mixed Foursomes (Annesley Links)

Thursday 12th:
    The McKeown Cup (Stroke) (Championship Course) 3Ball

Friday 13th:
    Open Fourball (Championship Course)

Just booked our fourball in for Friday 13th! Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭SEORG

Just booked, Monday & Thursday. Can't wait. Thanks to everyone for the info. One off the bucket list.

Contact details anyone?

Exactly wrote: »
    Contact details anyone?

(+44) 028 4372 3889

Option 2 for office

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭evillive

In finally, got a 3 ball booked for the strokes on thursday, no bother booking. Woman I spoke to said phones have been hopping so keep trying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bustercherry

Good luck all you lads (with southern reg cars and accents) playing on the 12th of July. Especially with the Orangefest organised in Newcastle :D

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/twelfth/orange-order-announces-twelfth-of-july-venues-for-2018-36890076.html

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭YoTaro

evillive wrote: »
    In finally, got a 3 ball booked for the strokes on thursday, no bother booking. Woman I spoke to said phones have been hopping so keep trying

Got 3 of us booked in also for the Thursday, 50 quid is great value.
    Looking forward to this one

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Eoinyh

Good luck all you lads (with southern reg cars and accents) playing on the 12th of July. Especially with the Orangefest organised in Newcastle :D

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/twelfth/orange-order-announces-twelfth-of-july-venues-for-2018-36890076.html

Rory's Grand Marshal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

Stop scaremongering. People don't attack southern reg cars or people on 12th July.

Anyway this is a thread about golf and you won't have any problems in Newcastle as long as you use common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

stockdam wrote:
    Stop scaremongering. People don't attack southern reg cars or people on 12th July.

Yeah it's all a big myth. Sure in this new liberal utopia the troubles never happened and the North is an open undivided society.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Lets keep this to golf only please

stockdam wrote: »

Anyway this is a thread about golf and you won't have any problems in Newcastle as long as you use common sense.

Traffic “could” be a nightmare considering they expect ~25k people to attend (the bands will be all bused in which means 50+ buses too). Roads will be closed at certain times as well, so expect delays too because of the increased trafffic on other routes. Depending on your tee time, you could end up spending hours in traffic just trying to get in/out of Newcastle.

On the scaremongering point I was being a bit facetious but if you apply common sense, you’d stay away. You “could” be directed the same routes as the people heading to the parade, so might be hard to avoid. Look at some of the bands attending the parade and then anticipate the p1ssed up elements following them. Do you think they’ll apply common sense? 99.9% of the time you’ll be ok, but the north is a bit strange at the moment and the DUP isn’t helping with it’s anti-Irish brexit and 8th nonsense.

My recommendation would be to wear your best Ricky Fowler Sunday gear at least to fit in ;)

Parades Commmission website for anyone interested - https://www.paradescommission.org/viewparade.aspx?id=68010

Depending on tee times, you may be affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

stockdam wrote: »

we got caught in traffic on the way to RCD a few years ago on the 12th. We were stuck in traffic in a small village a few miles from Newcastle on the coast road. Hundreds of people were pouring out of some kind of orange order gathering parade which was being held in a field on the outskirts of the town. Five minutes earlier or later we would have missed it. Nothing big happened but a few noticed the reg of the car while passing by and we received a few bangs on the roof and a few rude words. nothing major but still felt intimidated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jamok

kod12 wrote:
    Great advice thanks. Getting fitted for them so looking forward to a bug difference from the old blades i had

Was up here today for Mckeown Cup. Not a bother getting in or out. Mourne members were sound out as were RCD staff. It's a special place no doubt about it. Would love another crack at it now that I know Where I'm going.

jamok wrote: »
    Was up here today for Mckeown Cup. Not a bother getting in or out. Mourne members were sound out as were RCD staff. It's a special place no doubt about it. Would love another crack at it now that I know Where I'm going.

Same here, had great chats with Mourne staff and members who were very welcoming, starter was lovely chap. Great weather for the day and found course very tough off the whites which were as long as blue bar a few yards. Kept the same ball was my achievement for the day! Scratch golfer in the group shot 75 and couldn't buy a putt!! Might give the singles stableford a go next year

Left at 5 and just had to wait for parade returning to get out of the town but flew out road from there. Not a sniff of any issues for us surrounding the parades/12th

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Same here, had great chats with Mourne staff and members who were very welcoming, starter was lovely chap. Great weather for the day and found course very tough off the whites which were as long as blue bar a few yards. Kept the same ball was my achievement for the day! Scratch golfer in the group shot 75 and couldn't buy a putt!! Might give the singles stableford a go next year

Left at 5 and just had to wait for parade returning to get out of the town but flew out road from there. Not a sniff of any issues for us surrounding the parades/12th

If you are playing RCD and have the time you should really check out Ardglass

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Played it yesterday and as others have said there was no hassle getting in and out of there and the parade wasn't an issue. It still remains my favourite course. The place is just magical. Sadly though I was told yesterday that there will be no open week next year as the course will be used by the pros as practice for The Open up in Portrush.

slave1 wrote: »
    If you are playing RCD and have the time you should really check out Ardglass

I know it well, opening handful of holes as good as any course anywhere. Delightful Course!!/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Agree, nice to have a pebble beach par 3 clone thrown in, it's not the best course in Ireland but one of the most fun to play

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,172 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I know it well, opening handful of holes as good as any course anywhere. Delightful Course!!/

I don't think I've played anywhere with a better or more dramatic opening tee shot. We had some wind for our round. It was drivers at the ready on the 160y Par 3, 2nd. Another fantastic tee shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

Was up in rcd on Thursday also for the McGowan Cup (2nd year in a row). Had no problems at all with getting in and out of Newcastle with the parade. Mourne gc were very helpful, we rang on Wednesday to ask them the best route to avoid the traffic and they sent us an email with directions from Castlewellan on, then when we were getting something to eat after in there, they gave us an alternative route to go back to avoid any towns or traffic. Don't need to comment on the course as it's incredible, the starter was a fierce sound man. To be fair Mourne gc is a great clubhouse with a great atmosphere before and after the round, poles apart from the rcd proshop with the people you meet. Amazing to think as the starter was telling us that every other week during the summer, it's 1000 pounds for a fourball to stand on that first tee and he said it would be full every 10 mins... 1000 sterling every 10 mins isn't a bad income!!!

Anyone play on Friday and spot Rory practicing? He was on the putting green with his coach and caddie. We took a few photos from the far side of the green but didn't approach him.

Our fourball struggled, think the highest was 28 and his team wasn't much better. Lovely food and relaxed atmosphere in the mourne club house after.

Great course but would love to play with a member or have a caddy to help with some of the blind tee shots.

Wanted to buy a hat in the proshop, every one of them had the RCD logo front and centre. No FJ, UA etc like other shops might have, thought that was a bit strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭SEORG

Played last Monday, great course. Could have done with a stroke-saver as there are a lot of blind tee shots but the pro shop wasn't open before we were out. Played well though and even managed a little cut in the handicap.

Did anyone see any results for the week?

Advertisement