Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Verbatim "Store 'n' Go Micro USB Drive Problem

Options
  • 06-02-2013 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I purchased a 16GB Verbatim "Store 'n' Go Micro USB Drive. However, it is not showing up on my laptop (Acer Aspire 5336).

I have tried it on a different laptop, and again, I had the same problem, however, it worked after a short while of plugging and unplugging it in and out! Anyone know if there are secret updates required for this device? It's not showing up anything in My Computer.

The device itself is a USB2.0 type.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

FiverFriday!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

If it's giving you trouble and you have tried another computer with the same result, return it.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭johnner09

Hi Guys,

I purchased a 16GB Verbatim "Store 'n' Go Micro USB Drive. However, it is not showing up on my laptop (Acer Aspire 5336).

I have tried it on a different laptop, and again, I had the same problem, however, it worked after a short while of plugging and unplugging it in and out! Anyone know if there are secret updates required for this device? It's not showing up anything in My Computer.

The device itself is a USB2.0 type.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

normally by default your usb is formatted to FAT32 therefore it takes a few minutes to show up on your laptop if your laptop is set to NTFS by default. FAT32 is an old file system that is slower than NTFS and can sometimes conflict with that system. if you can, when it does show up, format it to NTFS but the only thing is you`ll lose all data so back up if/or anything you have on it, hope ths helps
    john

FiverFriday!

normally by default your usb is formatted to FAT32 therefore it takes a few minutes to show up on your laptop if your laptop is set to NTFS by default. FAT32 is an old file system that is slower than NTFS and can sometimes conflict with that system. if you can, when it does show up, format it to NTFS but the only thing is you`ll lose all data so back up if/or anything you have on it, hope ths helps

john

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

johnner09 wrote: »

john
    FAT32 wouldn't be slower to show up at all - it's an older filesystem yes but still perfectly compatible with Windows, the only real world difference between that and NTFS is that you can store larger than 4GB files on NTFS. Many of my USB's are still formatt as FAT32 for cross compatibility with other systems (PS3, car radios, DVD players, Mac OS etc). Setting it as NTFS is up to you, if you use it just on this PC then fire away.

OP, it's possible Windows is searching Windows Update for the drivers first - this is the default Windows setting. Try disconnecting the USB, disabling this setting and then inserting it once more (let it install and look in Computer).

Right click Computer > Properties > Advanced System Settings > Hardware > Device Installation Settings > No, let me choose what to do > (see screenshot).

Rh1ExTJ.jpg

Advertisement