Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cluas

Options
  • 06-02-2013 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hello,
    I am a 29 year old male in Dublin who is having problems with concentration. I think I may have some symptoms of ADD as I can get distracted very easily and have trouble holding attention for lengths of time.

I was looking for something that would assist me in these problems and I was advised to possibly investigate the Cluas programme in Dublin for Auditory learning difficulties. I would be open to be doing such a programme if it was to be successful, but it is very expensive, and it could be an awful lot of money down the drain. Does anybody on the forum have experience of this programme and if so, what was their take on it? They say such a programme improves ones concentration, as well as boosting their confidence and self esteem. I'm still a bit sceptical about this, so if anyone has any experience with such a programme your comments would be most welcome.

Alternatively if anybody here has any advice on dealing with concentration/ADD difficulties, I would be much obliged. Many thanks for your time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭skyfall2012

I don't know about that programme, but my sister spoke to her GP about her difficulties concentrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Challo

Your GP is your first port of call.

Then maybe he/she could refer you to an adult clinical psychologist/psychiatrist who specializes in diagnosis of attention/concentration difficulties in adults. If you feel it's something that's impairing you, then do follow it up.

I really would not recommend signing up for a course/treatment like Cluas: (a) it's a lot of money (b) no evidence base (c) like most things, you need to have a through assessment before considering what interventions might be of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Challo

Also, look up the Irish organisation HADD - their website is really helpful and they have a particular section on adults. You can also contact that organisation very easily and from what I've heard, they offer good advice.

Hope this is helpful and an appropriate suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

It is around 350 euro for a diagnosis from a psychologist for adult ADHD (will vary a lot of course) and there aren't a huge number of people in that area in Dublin certainly. I can't recommend anyone here but the group mentioned above provide lots of advice and services. Ring them and they will post out literature to you for free and can give the names of psychologists and psychiatrists.

I would always recommend the GP also, there are tons of physical things that can cause or add to this issue. From diet to hormones, liver to thyroid and a lot inbetween. Get it all checked and get working on it. There's a ton you can do that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 buster69

Many thanks for all your kind and considerate responses. I will be working on these ASAP. Thanks and regards.

• Advertisement
Advertisement