Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help….Steak in a Cast Iron Pan??

Options
  • 06-02-2013 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I’ve read a number of places that to do steak to restaurant standard one has to have a cast iron skillet. So off I went and purchased the pan, however it had these grill lines on it, so cooked the meat and O boy was there a lot of smoke the meat was very char grill tasting, which we didn’t really like (the meat was cooked perfect just for the smokey taste:(). So I went back and purchased a pan without the grill lines on it, just a regular cast iron skillet and purchased the steak again…my question is will it taste as smoky and char grilled again or should I be ok this time round??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

How much oil did you put on the pan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

oil?? :confused:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20 jeaniebeanie

I just put the oil on the steak with a little salt and pepper.... nothing on the pan itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Did you wash the pan before you used it?
    Just trying to figure out why it smoked so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I just put the oil on the steak with a little salt and pepper.... nothing on the pan itself.

That's exactly what you do. Leave the pan on the heat for a good ten minutes before you start cooking. It will be smokey, very smokey and cook to required level of rareness.

I do steak all the time like that and it's the nearest thing to cooking on the BBQ you'll get.

• Advertisement

yip quick wash - just hot water... but dried it with kitchen paper, it was bone dry. would you get the same char grilled taste from a non grilled cast iron pan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

when using a griddle pan most people put the steak on a plate before hand and rub olive oil and any other flavors in to it (both sides of the steak) for a bit before putting it on the pan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Did you season the cast iron?

No I liked the way it cooked, but the char grill / BBQ taste was too over powering.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

You didn't season the pan.

Run it with oil all over, then bake at your oven's hottest temperature for 20 mins, (I think) until the oil seals the metal. If it has a wooden handle, weap a damp cloth around it, then wrap tinfoil around it.

Google for how long to do this for, can't remember exactly & on mobile.

The oven will be smokey, but after that, the pan shouldn't smoke. You have to repeat every few weeks.

Stick with the griddle pan for the steak though, the lines add to the appearance.

• Advertisement

No I didn't season the pan ...never even heard of it, but off to do it now, thanks for all the help x x

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Generally cooking on the griddle pan will char the meat. I personally love the taste but it sounds like you don't. Maybe cook your meat on a regular pan or grill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

No I didn't season the pan ...never even heard of it, but off to do it now, thanks for all the help x x

Ah, you cant use cast iron without seasoning it. I often go ages before remembering to re-season mine, but then I notice its sticking and Im getting a char taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 DG Leixlip

I usually cook steak on a very hot cast iron pan - 90 seconds on each side, then transfer to the oven (230degrees) for about 6 minutes ... oven time depends on steak thickness and how you like it (medium, well done etc...)

Advertisement