Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work for the Unqualified Canada 2013!

Options
  • 06-02-2013 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Im an unqualified, no degree whatsoever just your basic safe passes etc. I'm hopeing there is a fair bit of Labour or bar work as I've plenty of experience in them fields. What everyone in the same boat planning to do over there?

Is there plenty of these types of jobs over there?

Or, is there opportunities for unqualified folks to climb the working ladder?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

yea there's plenty of options get in with a big company and work as a plumbers helper for the 2 years good money and at the end of the 2 years you might get sponsored and then you would be allowed start an apprenticeship which would be 4 years of good money and good training. that's just one example there is plenty of oppertuinty for a lad with the drive to better himself if you end up in the oil sands stay away from the strip bars and drugs and drink and you will make a fortune.

I myself am hoping to work in the O/G industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭evan2509

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    yea there's plenty of options get in with a big company and work as a plumbers helper for the 2 years good money and at the end of the 2 years you might get sponsored and then you would be allowed start an apprenticeship which would be 4 years of good money and good training. that's just one example there is plenty of oppertuinty for a lad with the drive to better himself if you end up in the oil sands stay away from the strip bars and drugs and drink and you will make a fortune.

I myself am hoping to work in the O/G industry.

Yeah sounds like there is a bit stirring alright. You tend to hear people talking about their degrees and start to brick it that you won't make it out there!

Any work to begin with would be fantastic to be honest. Start looking for the real thing after that!

it comes down to the person and how much they want it really if some1 thinks a job is beneath them and they are waiting for there degree job to come along they might be in trouble and could end up running out of money. there is loads of jobs it seems:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Agree. I have no experience in things like plumbing (I have a bit of exp in childcare, but not getting the med so not going for that. I have some quals in accounts/payroll/comp apps and poss it when I go over - BUT NO EXP which seems to be the big draw moreso than qualis) but if it's good money, and good prospect of getting a job I'd jump to learn the basics as a helper. I'd do anything to get decent money and the like over there. Hard graft never hurt anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Loads and loads and loads of retail and customer care experience, could do those not a bother. Want something different but if I get stuck and need to pay the bills then have no prob taking them. I'd love to get into extras work for tv and films they shoot a lot of stuff in Toronto, not reliable work through unless you get constant calls. could go weeks or months without anything. But it'd be a nice little side earner

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

Calgary.

I had basically zero experience before coming here, apart from the odd week or 2 here and there. Started window cleaning a month after getting here and did that till last month. Started an assembly job in a hardware shop last week. I have an interview in 2 weeks for another window cleaning job for when the snow eases off.

Same story with all the lads here, not much experience except call center/retail work. Few started off with laboring, industrial fireproofing. 2 of em are working in a camp in fort mackay at the moment. Another few doing snow removal. Most the girls working as servers.

The gist i got from employers is that young calgarians are born into money and lazy. Soon as your interviewer hears the irish accent, yer grand. Throw a bitta "I recently moved to Calgary from Ireland" etc in your cover letters aswell to help ya get the foot in the door ;)

Browse around the jobs on kijiji a bit. At any given stage there's 15000+. Something will catch your eye sooner or later.

God I never even think to count my retail exp - and it is pretty much the only thing I have proper exp in (cos I don't count two weeks work exp at the end of courses etc as proper exp)!! I dunno why I just never seem to think about it or count it as exp of any kind!

hdowney wrote: »
    God I never even think to count my retail exp - and it is pretty much the only thing I have proper exp in (cos I don't count two weeks work exp at the end of courses etc as proper exp)!! I dunno why I just never seem to think about it or count it as exp of any kind!

Retail is great experience to have because you can bump up your cv so much with it.I have loads of things purely from my job in hmv, its the stuff you wouldnt think to put in as experience.

what looks better:

Employer: HMV: position: customer assistant.

or

Employer: HMV: positions and roles: customer assistant, merchandiser, stock buyer, shop key holder, cashier etc etc etc.

Think of ANYTHING you could stick on a cv as experience and go with it.

krudler wrote: »

Retail is great experience to have because you can bump up your cv so much with it.I have loads of things purely from my job in hmv, its the stuff you wouldnt think to put in as experience.

what looks better:

or

Employer: HMV: positions and roles: customer assistant, merchandiser, stock buyer, shop key holder, cashier etc etc etc.

Yeah you def gotta elaborate your positions on your CV, especially for people without qualifications. Just to prove your a useful and trustworthy employee is nothing else.

Is there a Canadian CV format? Havnt looked into it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 totsy88

Im planning on going over during the winter for some labor work while I get my oil rig tickets and safety passes.
    I dont have any trade qualifications just a certificate in Natural science I got from the open university.
    Has anyone here done or plan on doing something similar? If so any info on types of wages and working conditions would be cool.
    I have had a very good look at loads of labor job and wages but I just wanna hear any Irish lads experience on this route.

Thanks

• Advertisement

evan2509 wrote: »
    Yeah you def gotta elaborate your positions on your CV, especially for people without qualifications. Just to prove your a useful and trustworthy employee is nothing else.

Lion tamer, ghost buster, elf wrangler

Lion tamer, ghost buster, elf wrangler

Beer drinker, Nightclub connoisseur.

In all seriousness though, is an Irish safe pass sufficient for Canada or do they have their own?

what looks better:

or

God yea I think I already do that to a degree on my CV but when I turn it into a resume (and a different resume to suit each and every job I apply for - at the mo I have different CVS tailored to different TYPES of work, like retail/office etc - the joys!) I'll buffer it even more methinks.

Yup, resume. COMPLETELY different, you can go to the Moving2Canada website and they have info on doing a resume :). I think I am still dreading turning my CV into it though!
    Beer drinker, Nightclub connoisseur.

In all seriousness though, is an Irish safe pass sufficient for Canada or do they have their own?

I think they probably have their own, but the fact that you have an Irish Safe Pass can only stand you in good stead I woulda thought

no safepass needed in canada. there is courses that you can do but these are for the oil sands and rigs and not needed for normal commercial or industrial work.

oil sands?

oil sands of Alberta an area the size of the uk where they oil is located in sand so they dig the sand and refine it. as opposed to drilling for it. look up fort mcmurry oil sands.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

There's no such thing as a bad job to put on your CV it's all about how you spin it: i.e. you learned team work time management customer service or whatever.

The oil sands also known as tar sands or oil shale are deposits of oil close to the surface and mixed up with sand and shale.

It is an expensive and dirty process to recover the oil from the sands, requiring tremendous amounts of water and produces lots of tailings and dirty water.

It works well as long as the price of oil is high but if for some reason the price of oil dips below a certain level it is uneconomic to extract oil from the sand and so will be the first method of production to be shut down.

On doing an apprenticeship this might be tricky as most TWPs state you cannot undergo any kind of education or formal training on the twp without approval, you would need to check if an apprenticeship could be added to the TWP as an exception

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭seamus1980

I am a qualified plumber,i was just wondering is there much work for plumbers over there?

yea loads and loads and loads.

yea loads and loads and loads.

Cool thanks m8,now to get this fecking garda cert problem sorted out,would a immigration lawer be able to help me out?also does anyone know of any good immigration Solicitors?cheers all

• Advertisement

yea pal they be your best bet:D theres an awful lot of worker for plumbers especially if you have experience:D

yea pal they be your best bet:D theres an awful lot of worker for plumbers especially if you have experience:D

Great to know m8,myself and a mate were at the expo in the rds last year,myself and him got a job offer from the boss of the company but we didnt have our visa,s:(,

Advertisement