Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Damn new Zealand

• 06-02-2013 8:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

You give us a day off (Waitiangi) and then blast us with 25 degree sunshine, no cloud and little wind. You encourage us to get to the beach and play footy, have a beer, bbq, take a hike and generally forget all about everything....thats going on. :)
    Then, when we sit down for a beer that night, you slap us in the face and say its Wednesday and you have to work tomorrow:(

Ahhh dont worry about it New Zealand. We're still friends. Just a paddy here used to rainy day bank holidays and cleaning the house!!

Chur bro
    Munky

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,525 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

At least it was mid week and not Sunday like Patricks day is this year :(
    That will not be a fun Monday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

At least it was mid week and not Sunday like Patricks day is this year :(
    That will not be a fun Monday

Book off the monday!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭SVI40

If a public holiday falls on a weekend, you get the Monday off!

SVI40 wrote: »

While this is generally the case, for some reason the New Zealand government doesnt see it fit to give a public holiday for Paddys day....weird:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭SVI40

They don't? Sure that's mad Ted.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,525 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Book off the monday!!
    can't too many days off already unfortunately
    SVI40 wrote: »

Not here always, both Waitangi Day and ANZAC are only on the days they fall so if it's a Sat tough, no monday off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

While this is generally the case, for some reason the New Zealand government doesnt see it fit to give a public holiday for Paddys day....weird:p
    It only became a public holiday in Ireland in 1903. I believe Northern Ireland discontinued this sometime after partition, to resume it in recent years. To my knowledge, only two other territories celebrate it as a public holiday, Newfoundland and Montserrat. But the latter does not celebrate Irishness, but rather a slave rebellion on 17th March 1768, when the Africans took advantage of the fact that their Irish slave owners were full of rum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

It was a lovely day. Got me thinking on why the hell do we work 5 days on two days off anyway? What a waste of our lives.

I have to say compared to life back home, nearly every day feels like a holiday here I love the place.

pclancy wrote: »
    It was a lovely day. Got me thinking on why the hell do we work 5 days on two days off anyway? What a waste of our lives.

I have to say compared to life back home, nearly every day feels like a holiday here I love the place.

Two very true statements there pclancy.
    630 pm. Me and the flattie decide to head the beach, still sunny, water still warmish and a weekly run/paddle/swim race with people of all ages in full effect. Some company offering free paddle boards to anyone who wants to go out.
    There are worse ways to spend a Tuesday afternoon (Not arvo....not yet ;op)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

i often wondered is there many Irish people in new Zealand in general.?:D like apart from Christchurch on an average day strolling down downtown Auckland would you run in to many Irish in there jerseys or the paddy with ginger hair sunburnt?:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,100 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    i often wondered is there many Irish people in new Zealand in general.?:D like apart from Christchurch on an average day strolling down downtown Auckland would you run in to many Irish in there jerseys or the paddy with ginger hair sunburnt?:D:D

Overall probably 15-20% of the population is of irish descent. Apart from that it's too hard to tell: census figures include peolple like me ... one generation away. But I'm no more irish than i am a monkey, even though i have an Irish passport/citizenship.

I think there are quiet a few about but like Mrs OBumble says it is hard to tell. Strangely enough, some white Kiwis could (at a stretch) pass for Irish.
    You dont get so many Gaa jerseys about. Your ginger comment is just stupid, way more non ginger Irish about. Plenty of sunburnt people here though, all races.
    I dont hang with many Irish (not for any particular reason) but I do know some who have mainly Irish mates and only drink in Irish bars, im sure they would say Irish are everywhere!
    Id say there would be more English than Irish about

Advertisement