Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Touring the Ring of Kerry in February.

Options
  • 06-02-2013 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭

Howdy Folks !

Heading down to Killarney for the Dubs vs Kerry game on Sunday. Am planning on taking a couple of days afterwards to do the Ring of Kerry driving tour, and take another trip to do the Ballinskelligs Ring drive and hit up Valencia Island too.

We are a bit worried about the weather, and what driving conditions we can expect re snow, ice etc etc in the area. Neither of us have any experience driving in snow and ice, so are a tad apprehensive about getting in over our heads. I visited the area as a child and remember a lot of the routes as being quite high and mountaineous.

The weather forecast doesn't predict any major snow/ice events for the weekend, so am sure that towns, main roads and motorways will be fine, but what about the higher elevations? What can we expect the driving conditions to be like given the time of year? Are there any particular areas on the Ring route that we should think about avoiding, considering the time of year? Thanks.

Up the Dubs ! ;)

Comments

You should be fine, the two highest places will be Molls Gap between Killarney and Kenmare/Sneem and Coomakista Pass between Waterville and Caherdaniel. It takes a serious drop in temperature to render them dangerous, Molls Gap was impassable for a few days a couple of weeks back. Maybe check here a day or two in advance and anyone from South Kerry with an eye on the weather would know more then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭ian87

Make sure to call into the skelligs chocolate factory while your down there. Pure indulgence!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Go for it, being so close to the sea most of the Ring should be ok, i took a 1966 Wolseley around there in the rubbish wet n windy weather at the end of last year so you shouldnt have a problem in a modern motor!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

ian87 wrote: »
    Make sure to call into the skelligs chocolate factory while your down there. Pure indulgence!

Ha ha ha...you read my mind. That's one of the reasons why we are doing the Ballinskelligs Ring tour too. An American friend of mine still raves about driving around rural Kerry, and stumbling across " a godamm chocolate factory (her words) of all things, out in the middle of freaking no where (again, her words :o ) on what seemed like the edge of the world". She thought she wandered onto the Willy Wonka film set ! :D
    You should be fine, the two highest places will be Molls Gap between Killarney and Kenmare/Sneem and Coomakista Pass between Waterville and Caherdaniel. It takes a serious drop in temperature to render them dangerous, Molls Gap was impassable for a few days a couple of weeks back. Maybe check here a day or two in advance and anyone from South Kerry with an eye on the weather would know more then.

Thanks for that. Am pretty sure that I saw the Conor Pass on the news last weekend, when we had a brief dusting of the white stuff. They said it was impassable, which is what got me wondering about the rest of the ring tour.

Any good suggestions for decent seafood restaurants along the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Am pretty sure that I saw the Conor Pass on the news last weekend, when we had a brief dusting of the white stuff. They said it was impassable, which is what got me wondering about the rest of the ring tour.

The Conor Pass isn't on the Ring, its on the Dingle Peninsula. It does get bad from time to time but you should be fine doing Ballinskelligs etc next weekend. Even if Molls Gap was closed you can easily get back to Killarney etc via Kilgarvan. Allow plenty of time. Re restaurants etc you might find a few pubs doing lunches but at this time of the year the main places will be in Killarney, Kenmare etc.

Ciarraí abú!! :D

• Advertisement

lottpaul wrote: »
    Ciarraí abú!!

Balls to that ! The Dubs by 7. :D:D:D

I suppose the boats that take people from Portmagee out to the Skelligs only run in the summer time, as the sea is too rough in winter, no? 'Tis a trip I'd love to do. :(

Balls to that ! The Dubs by 7. :D:D:D

I suppose the boats that take people from Portmagee out to the Skelligs only run in the summer time, as the sea is too rough in winter, no? 'Tis a trip I'd love to do. :(

Think it's generally March or so when they start. It is spectacular.

Stop at Staigue Fort and Valentia Island anyway. Sneem. Kenmare. And loads to see and do in Killarney.

As for seafood restaurants, the Ring isn't great but one outside Cahersiveen was mentioned a lot here...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81219152

Think it's generally March or so when they start.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Pity. Would love to do it.

A few more questions before I let ya'll go.

The forecast is not looking good for the weekend re wind and rain, so we want to have a back up Plan B for indoor activities, in case it is pissing rain on one of our days there. As much as we want to see the beauties of the Ring, we don't want to spend a day sitting in a car looking at pea soup if there is eff all to see. We know about Muckross House and Daniel O'Connell's gaff. Are there any other historical houses, castles, museums etc in the Killarney/Ring area that we can check out?

We'll be traveling to Killarney via Limerick on the M7. Google maps put it as being a 3 1/2 hour trip. Is that accurate? Are there any road works/bottle necks along the way that may slow us down?

We are leaving Dublin at 7am. Any suggestions of somewhere decent to break our journey at for some brekkie/brunch, at roughly the half way point around 9am. Seeing as it will be a Sunday morning, I imagine a lot of the usual spots that cater to business travelers won't be open.

Thanks again.

Ath Cliath Abu ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

DUB,

You'll hit 'Adare' town after about 2 hours on your way down south.

We know about Muckross House and Daniel O'Connell's gaff. Are there any other historical houses, castles, museums etc in the Killarney/Ring area that we can check out?

We'll be traveling to Killarney via Limerick on the M7. Google maps put it as being a 3 1/2 hour trip. Is that accurate? Are there any road works/bottle necks along the way that may slow us down?

We are leaving Dublin at 7am. Any suggestions of somewhere decent to break our journey at for some brekkie/brunch, at roughly the half way point around 9am. Seeing as it will be a Sunday morning, I imagine a lot of the usual spots that cater to business travelers won't be open.

Daniel O'Connell's place may not be open. Ross Castle, Killarney Cathedral, Staigue Fort, Valentia Slate Quarry, Skellig Centre, drop into the Gap of Dunloe which is 10 minues off the main road.

Can't really advise on the route, would always go via Mallow and Mitchelstown to get from Dublin to South Kerry. But would have thought Adare the most attractive stop alright on the Limerick road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

ProudDUB:

Aside from reminding you that 2013 will be the year of kerry4sam ;)

You're title here states "Touring", so why plan everything so detailed? Why not just have a general plan and route and ideas and then just wing it in places? Not everything has to be planned in so much detail, particularly stops for brekkie. Would you not consider just hitting the road and making some un-planned stops en route. Who is to say that where you read here would be open; have sufficient occupancy when you arrive etc etc.

Just enjoy this "Tour" and get yourself off the beaten track once in a while too. You will enjoy it :)

kerry4sam wrote: »
    ProudDUB:

Aside from reminding you that 2013 will be the year of kerry4sam ;)

You're title here states "Touring", so why plan everything so detailed? Why not just have a general plan and route and ideas and then just wing it in places?

We are just winging it. We don't have any specific plans as to what we see/do on the Ring & we most definitely plan on getting off the beaten track. We'll just make it up as we go along really. But we do want to know in advance where areas to avoid if the weather turns icy/snowy, and what indoor activities to do if it is lashing rain. That's just good holiday planning for that part of the world at this time of year imo.

Not everything has to be planned in so much detail, particularly stops for brekkie. Would you not consider just hitting the road and making some un-planned stops en route.

Ah ha ! Don't think I don't see thru your subtle attempt to have one less Dub at the match cheering on this years All Ireland champions. :p The game starts at 2. If we want to get there in time to check into our hotel, stash the car & grab some lunch, we can't really dilly dally on the way down, or waste time driving around looking for somewhere that is open.

If you're heading for Killarney definitely take the N/M7 to Limerick (€1.90 toll after Portlaoise) then the N21 etc to Castleisland and follow the signs for Killarney (N23/22). 3.5 hours is loads at that hour of the morning but I doubt if you'll get many places open anywhere much before Newcastlewest. There's a few petrol stations there (cheapest place to fill up) but all you'll get to eat is coffee etc. Maybe the Devon Inn in Templeglantine does breakfast for non-guests but I'd definitely phone to check beforehand. Your best bet might be to go straight on to Killarney and find something there.

(And towns like Abbeyfeale, Newcastlewest etc will have Speed Camera Vans lying in wait for any speeding Dubs :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

amadain wrote: »
    DUB,

You'll hit 'Adare' town after about 2 hours on your way down south.

Adare Manor and Golf Clubhouse should be open (grand entrance on the left just before the town itself).

Bags packed, jersey ironed, shots got, passport at the ready and all set to clear Customs and Immigration at Shannon. Guess we are on the way now. Thanks for all the very useful info folks. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Bags packed, jersey ironed, shots got, passport at the ready and all set to clear Customs and Immigration at Shannon. Guess we are on the way now. Thanks for all the very useful info folks. :D

Safe Travels & Hope you Enjoy the Match :)

Lovely morning in this part of Kerry anyway - I can see clearly across Dingle Bay to the "Ring" in Uibh Rathach so you should have a fine trip. Don't forget match is at 2 though -- should be over by 5 past the way we're playing atm :(

Enjoy!!

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Hope you Enjoy the Match :)

Oh I will...I will...

Edit...Oh I did, I did.... :D:D:D

The drive from the Limerick border to Killarney was SPECTACULARLY gorgeous, in the glorious sunshine. What a truly, amazingly splendiferous part of the world !

Sadly our Marry me Bernard ! and Cluxton for President ! banners were confiscated at the Kerry border. Something about inciting the natives to riot ! :rolleyes:

Drove to Kenmare for some grub after the game, via Molls Gap & Ladies View. Fooking amazing ! As was the drive back in the near dark. Thought we were in an episode of Top Gear. T'was really fablis, but thought that the 100km speed limit was insane. Do you people really drive that fast in that kind of terrain & on those kind of roads? Madness imo !

Well done on the match. Kerry aren't at the races atm and Star with the mohican haircut really helps :rolleyes: but we'll wait until June and see what happens.
    Glad you liked the trip - the road down to Castleisland has a beautiful view.
    If you think the 100kph limit is mad on the Ring (which it is -- its only there because its an N road) try turning off and go up any little bohreen with grass growing up the centre of the road. The limit on all of them is 80kph :eek:

See you in Croker in September! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Molzer2

ian87 wrote: »

Factory (shop) is open but cafe closed, not even a take-away available til St Patricks weekend:confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement