Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeking volunteers for CoderDojo in Cobh

Options
  • 06-02-2013 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

We're planning to set up a CoderDojo (http://coderdojo.com/about-us/) in Cobh and need volunteers - anyone interested in helping out?

Please pm me for more details.

W

CoderDojo is a free computer club for kids interested in learning how to code.
    At CoderDojo, young people learn how to code, develop websites, apps, programs, games and more. In addition to learning to code, members meet like minded people, collaborate on projects and show off their own work. We aim to make learning to code a fun, sociable, kick ass experience!
    CoderDojo has just one rule: “Above All: Be Cool“, bullying, lying, wasting people’s time and so on is uncool. CoderDojo is a not-for-profit community projects set up and run by volunteers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Best of Luck with this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Best of luck with this. I've tried to learn this stuff loads of times. I'm starting a course on EdX at the moment. I would have killed to have had something like CoderDojo available when I was a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Winnieacre

Lyaiera wrote: »
    Best of luck with this. I've tried to learn this stuff loads of times. I'm starting a course on EdX at the moment. I would have killed to have had something like CoderDojo available when I was a kid.

It's amazing to think that this Irish born concept was copied in Silicon Valley
    http://www.siliconrepublic.com/innovation/item/29410-coderdojo-launches-new-codi

W

Thanks to those who have pm'd me - any other volunteers? :D:D

The venue and utilities are provided to us at no charge and we need mentors to donate their time so that we can provide this opportunity for kids at no charge.

Have a look at what the kids at the Malahide coderdojo were doing recently http://coderdojo.com/2012/12/21/a-parrot-ar-drone-at-coderdojo-malahide/

W

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭bungaro79

came on here to start a post about setting one up in carrigaline when i saw your post winnie! its a great idea and we're hoping to start one too (think we're far apart away not to be competing!)

do you intend to start following some sort of syllabus or will it be up to the volunteers and their experience??

• Advertisement

bungaro79 wrote: »
    came on here to start a post about setting one up in carrigaline when i saw your post winnie! its a great idea and we're hoping to start one too (think we're far apart away not to be competing!)

do you intend to start following some sort of syllabus or will it be up to the volunteers and their experience??

Great - room for all of us I think.

We've visited a couple of other dojos and had a look at what they're doing. They were very helpful. We will probably start with 'Scratch', for a few weeks and then see what the needs of the group are - which will to some extent depend on the mix of ages we have. We may then split the group with some moving to HTML etc. The experience of the mentors will dictate how far we can take the group!

Good luck.

W

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭bungaro79

yeah i was thinking of starting with scratch too, fantastic program for entry level coding.
    best of luck with your dojo!

Advertisement