Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LPG Conversion

• 06-02-2013 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hey Lads.Great info on this site, got a Merc 230coupe a while back.
    Recently with the price of petrol was wondering whats folks slant on an LPG converstion.
    Good or Bad idea, are many garages still selling it, is it an expensive job, who does it, is it hard on the engine????????:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Peew wrote: »
    Hey Lads.Great info on this site, got a Merc 230coupe a while back.
    Recently with the price of petrol was wondering whats folks slant on an LPG converstion.
    Good or Bad idea, are many garages still selling it, is it an expensive job, who does it, is it hard on the engine????????:cool:

I made some enquiries about this recently and anyone I spoke to was either strongly in favour or against, so inconclusive...

I even came very close to buying a 200 already running on LPG, but it was an 83 and so the VRT and tax killed the deal for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

As far as I've been told it's about €1000 for a modern system to be installed by a registered installer and after that the fuel savings can be quite substantial and even though its not on many forecourts at the moment I've started to see it popping up in a few places and can only assume that it will continue to become more and more common as it's popularity increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Peew

kev1.3s wrote: »
    As far as I've been told it's about €1000 for a modern system to be installed by a registered installer and after that the fuel savings can be quite substantial and even though its not on many forecourts at the moment I've started to see it popping up in a few places and can only assume that it will continue to become more and more common as it's popularity increases.

Likewise I can see it becoming popular again with current juice prices
    :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭w124man

I dont understand why its not more widely used as the emissions from LPG is minimal ..... Maybe its the numpties in the government that dont understand this or maybe its the scaremongering from the motor trade. I dunno

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pmg007

I have a scrap w123 230e with a gas conversion if anyone is interested in the tank and fittings. Any flexibles would need replacing as parked up a few years. It was running on gas a few years ago but I didn't use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

used to work in a garage in the 80s that fitted gas conversions , then you were getting about 10% less power and the same loss on mpg . them systems needed a top oiler (two stroke oil ) to keep the valves right because there isnt any lead in lpg

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭mollymac57

Looking into converting my BMW 520i petrol to LPG. It's a straight 6 cyclinder so the prices I've seen seem to be coming in anything around €700 to €1200. Just wondering if anyone has recently done a conversion and how good a job it was? Also at my local service station the cost of LPG is €1 but many of the businesses advertising the conversions are stating they sell for around 80c which is quite a difference. Has anyone (who has converted) got a tank installed at their home? I would welcome any comments. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

mollymac57 wrote: »
    Looking into converting my BMW 520i petrol to LPG. It's a straight 6 cyclinder so the prices I've seen seem to be coming in anything around €700 to €1200. Just wondering if anyone has recently done a conversion and how good a job it was? Also at my local service station the cost of LPG is €1 but many of the businesses advertising the conversions are stating they sell for around 80c which is quite a difference. Has anyone (who has converted) got a tank installed at their home? I would welcome any comments. Thanks

Where did you get those prices (conversion)? I enquired about an older 6 cylinder but got no reply...

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭mollymac57

Apservice.ie are quoting 750 for 6 cycl on website. They seem to be cheapest. Others are higher. Have mailed a couple of garages for quotes and await reply. Can anyone give any references for recently done conversions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Dasachtach

After looking into this for months, I've booked my LS 430 in to be converted to LPG at Apservice, to be done around the first week of April. Seems like a good place, rekons will take just a day and a half for the conversion, the guys rekon no loss in performance or mpg with the new systems.
    Seems like the only way to run the 430 for now with the price of petrol. I do about 2500 miles per month which cost €689 on petrol or €366 on LPG, nearly €3900 a year saving.
    I'll keep you posted on the conversion and performance etc when i'ts done.

If it does take off though, I wonder how long before it's taxed to the gills like petrol?:(

• Advertisement
Advertisement