Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Still, though, it will matter, as there are enough people for whom the look of the console will really be that big a deal. I'll be looking at other factors, particularly one factor. How good the games are. The controller will be important, too, obviously, but even at that, trying is better than seeing, though it'll give something of an idea.

I wouldn't say it matters to me what the console will look like, but I'm really interested in seeing what it will look like nonetheless. Why? I dunno, I just am. We know the specs, or near enough, so no harm in being curious as to what it'll look like. As for seeing what games it'll run, this is obviously the top of the list :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

It's just a part of gadgetlust really, even if it has no practical function, a shiny sexy box is part of the appeal.

I really liked the rumoured look that was floating around a while back. I'm sure it was fake, but I think it'd look pretty nice sitting under my TV.

xbox-rumor-render-0.jpg?w=618

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

stevenmu wrote: »
    It's just a part of gadgetlust really, even if it has no practical function, a shiny sexy box is part of the appeal.

Thats it exactly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

I know it's not likely, but I really do hope that they have some level of backwards compatibility to it, even if it's just fifty odd titles. I don't really care about the used games issue anymore, I've got quite good at hunting down decent game reductions and being patient waiting for them. What I do want though is the ability to still play some of my regular titles (COD series, Batman, Gta) and not have to hang onto a defunct XBOX just for these few titles. Why?

Well when I went from PS2 to XBOX it made sense to hang onto the PS2.It had spent years as the main console on the market with no real successful competitor. I had invested so much into it, both financially and time wise, that I couldn't part with it and still can't. As much as I love the XBOX360 I can't ever see it holding the same prowess. The Durango/Fusion/Infinity/Whatever won't be the next gen machine to the 360 that the 360 was to the PS2. No way. Therefore I'll have two relatively similar machines taking up the space that only one should be.

Also can someone more technically minded than me explain, would it be anyway easily done by to allow cross gen play? Obviously not on next gen games, but if my new XBOX was able to run my 360 copy of BLOPS, could I play it against a friend online who is running same game but on a 360? If this is not possible, fine, but MS would out and out get my vote if this was possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

There's technically no reason why it can't be done, but MS won't want to do it because they'll want people buying the new console when it's available. Allowing cross gen play will give people a reason to put off buying until later - and when it comes to the financial stuff, the suits HATE slow launches

• Advertisement

COYVB wrote: »
    There's technically no reason why it can't be done, but MS won't want to do it because they'll want people buying the new console when it's available. Allowing cross gen play will give people a reason to put off buying until later - and when it comes to the financial stuff, the suits HATE slow launches

I had thought this would be their excuse if the tech side of it wasn't an issue alright. But seriously, features like this would encourage those on the fence about the new console. I have one preordered and have plenty paid off it, but I'm not entirely sure if it's gonna get used yet or sold on. If there was the bare minimum of respect shown in this neighbourhood I'd have no qualms. I'm in the humour for an upgrade and wouldn't lose the core experience I'm getting from the 360.

I know I know, I'm asking for suits to give the customers what they want. But I work in retail and I've seen the two sides, people screaming blue murder when the ps3 lost backwards compatibility and people overjoyed that the Wii U has it. If I get this new XBOX and it turns out I only have next gen games to play whilst most of my mates who are on XBL at the minute I know won't be bothered with a new machine, my interest is gone immediately. Plus, I can be playing with them and talking up the new console, free fecking advertising! :-P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Ah, but you see your problem there is that you're using common sense and logic - neither of which are usually compatible with the almighty bottom line

COYVB wrote: »
    Ah, but you see your problem there is that you're using common sense and logic - neither of which are usually compatible with the almighty bottom line

I know...it was downright rude of me really. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

stevenmu wrote: »

I really liked the rumoured look that was floating around a while back. I'm sure it was fake, but I think it'd look pretty nice sitting under my TV.

It's a nice slick looking box alright but it looks quite generic in terms of home entertainment hardware. Microsoft would probably lean toward a design that's a little more eye catching as it's the actual physical device that's used in the marketing campaigns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Not sure if this was posted or not

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/fresh-rumours-refute-new-xbox-always-on-claims-xbox-360-mini-touted-once-again/0113921

Interesting even if half of it turns out to be true, not a price I'd be willing to pay for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/05/microsoft-next-xbox-will-work-even-when-your-internet-doesnt/

Some interesting seemingly legit news that'll hopefully get rid of the always on issue

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Was just about to post about that... Saw the news reported here. I always found it insane people believed the always on internet thing. Have posted about it here, the gaming section and Eurogamer a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Was just about to post about that... Saw the news reported here. I always found it insane people believed the always on internet thing. Have posted about it here, the gaming section and Eurogamer a lot.

Did you have a look at the link i posted 2 posts up? That might go some way to explaining where it came from if what is in that article is true.

calex71 wrote: »
    Did you have a look at the link i posted 2 posts up? That might go some way to explaining where it came from if what is in that article is true.
    I didn't at the time, figured it would be the same as the one I'd read. I'm not going to speculate on the probability of that one. It isn't as blatantly nonsensical to me as the nextbox wholesale not allowing single player games to be played offline, so it's credibility isn't something that I can discount just on the face of it. I'll still have my 360, so if it turns out true, I'll have no need of it.

calex71 wrote: »
    Not sure if this was posted or not

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/fresh-rumours-refute-new-xbox-always-on-claims-xbox-360-mini-touted-once-again/0113921

Interesting even if half of it turns out to be true, not a price I'd be willing to pay for this.

This quote has me confused:
    "Those who insert an Xbox 360 disc into Durango will be prompted to connect an Xbox Mini"

The article suggests that the Mini would allow use of downloaded previous gen titles only. This line though seems to be suggesting that the Mini allows use of 360 DISCS.

If this were the case I'd be quite happy. Wouldn't have to fork out straight away but the option for backwards compatibility would be there. Is that not the perfect way to do it so as not to completely rip off people wanting the new machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

niallon wrote: »
    This quote has me confused:
    "Those who insert an Xbox 360 disc into Durango will be prompted to connect an Xbox Mini"

The article suggests that the Mini would allow use of downloaded previous gen titles only. This line though seems to be suggesting that the Mini allows use of 360 DISCS.

If this were the case I'd be quite happy. Wouldn't have to fork out straight away but the option for backwards compatibility would be there. Is that not the perfect way to do it so as not to completely rip off people wanting the new machine?

Am I missing something here or would it not just make sense to keep your old console or buy one for cheaper than the price mooted for the mini? Has to be more to it than that.

Am I missing something here or would it not just make sense to keep your old console or buy one for cheaper than the price mooted for the mini? Has to be more to it than that.
    Two things there. First, I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm lazy as can be and could do without swapping between machines in order to play all the titles I want. Plus, I'm just not a fan of having tonnes of machines all connected up at once.

Secondly, not needing the old console would leave it open for a few media ideas I have in mind ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

the Xbox Mini sounds like an attempt to compete with the Ouya or similar products.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Ms hedging their bets, hope we don't end up with two mediocre machines if true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

bit like with Ninty, the WiiU beyond the usual Day 1 buyers has bombed, and the Wii Mini, you wouldnt even know it had been released nearly 2 months ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

bit like with Ninty, the WiiU beyond the usual Day 1 buyers has bombed, and the Wii Mini, you wouldnt even know it had been released nearly 2 months ago.

The WiiU hasn't bombed I use the system all the time!

I can play two whole games on it for entertainment!

Ohh wait... I see what you mean...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Not long until I know if I'm definitely not getting the next xbox :D

Not long until I know if I'm definitely not getting the next xbox :D
    What are you expecting from the show? The always online thing? I don't expect that. I am looking to hear some good stuff about games, though. They have time to win me over, and I don't see myself buying either PS4 or 720 day one. Unless they come out with something crazy good that makes me rethink that.

What are you expecting from the show?

Actual information.

BUT, I haven't liked the direction the x360 has been taking over the last few years/updates and do expect the next xbox will continue on this trend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Atomicjuicer

Actual information.

BUT, I haven't liked the direction the x360 has been taking over the last few years/updates and do expect the next xbox will continue on this trend.

See, that's the problem. The dashboard ads and de-emphasis of gaming is a software decision so no matter what they show us on the 21st (obv. strong hardware is great) its a matter of trust because who's to say they won't change everything 5 months down the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

See, that's the problem. The dashboard ads and de-emphasis of gaming is a software decision so no matter what they show us on the 21st (obv. strong hardware is great) its a matter of trust because who's to say they won't change everything 5 months down the road?

Man, I'm beginning to think you are actually me!

I'm a big Xbox fan, have been since the first console, I'm over 8 years on Xbl now at this stage, haven't looked back, but I'm very worried about the emphasis on "Set top box that also does gaming" rumours we are hearing...

I hope I'm proven wrong on the 21st, but I've not been happy with the relatively recent focus on social apps, family features and the like, I bought my 360 day one as the main attraction was what good games were coming out for it - not to use Twitter/Fb etc....

The main thing that interested me in PS4 was the focus on developers and games, not the social stuff...

They really would want to prove me wrong this time around or I'll be off to Sony with my dollars saying "take my money".... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Fieldog wrote: »
    Man, I'm beginning to think you are actually me!

I'm a big Xbox fan, have been since the first console, I'm over 8 years on Xbl now at this stage, haven't looked back, but I'm very worried about the emphasis on "Set top box that also does gaming" rumours we are hearing...

I hope I'm proven wrong on the 21st, but I've not been happy with the relatively recent focus on social apps, family features and the like, I bought my 360 day one as the main attraction was what good games were coming out for it - not to use Twitter/Fb etc....

The main thing that interested me in PS4 was the focus on developers and games, not the social stuff...

They really would want to prove me wrong this time around or I'll be off to Sony with my dollars saying "take my money".... :)

TBH, my xbox 360 pretty much acts as my set top box now, between sky player & netflix I rarely find myself watching scheduled terrestrial television. granted some of the features are a bit gick (facebook, twitter), its still a pretty awesome machine. and if the 720 brings the facility to record tv, bring it on I say! - if anything, we need more services to break the monopoly that SKY have on our choice of entertainment provider.

The thing to remember is that microsoft are making the hardware - its up to developers to push this hardware to its limits to make incredible games. If the rumors are to believed, the system specs are going to be pretty much on par with the PS4, this means that most games will still be cross platform. Fair enough if a person doesnt like the media aspect of it - they dont HAVE to use it.

TBH, my xbox 360 pretty much acts as my set top box now, between sky player & netflix I rarely find myself watching scheduled terrestrial television. granted some of the features are a bit gick (facebook, twitter), its still a pretty awesome machine. and if the 720 brings the facility to record tv, bring it on I say! - if anything, we need more services to break the monopoly that SKY have on our choice of entertainment provider.

The thing to remember is that microsoft are making the hardware - its up to developers to push this hardware to its limits to make incredible games. If the rumors are to believed, the system specs are going to be pretty much on par with the PS4, this means that most games will still be cross platform. Fair enough if a person doesnt like the media aspect of it - they dont HAVE to use it.

Why can't I customize the dash to get rid of all the sh7te I have no interest in? Even my PS3 boots to a f7cking singstar logo. I have cash, I buy gadgets, let me load up the tabs I want and hide the crap that pisses me off?

It's like someone spraying Justin Bieber on your new porche. I don't want it. Is that so hard to understand? I'm not interested in happy happy dance kinect garbage.

I do download the odd movie though.

Why can't I customize the dash to get rid of all the sh7te I have no interest in? Even my PS3 boots to a f7cking singstar logo. I have cash, I buy gadgets, let me load up the tabs I want and hide the crap that pisses me off?
    Well, it isn't that, but on the 360, do you make use of the pins feature? You can pin whichever games, and I think apps that you would use so you can get to them faster.

I haven't really pinned apps. I've used them very, very rarely, but I find pinning is great in my case for arcade games. A lot faster to get at them with good use of the pins. Though, of course, in a previous incarnation of the dashboard, getting to the arcade games was a lot better, and didn't need the pins feature.

Oh, this one is going back a bit, but I loved ages ago how there was a section in the games marketplace for owned games so you could get to add ons for games you own really quickly. Now, you go to my games, and you have to go in to each game manually. Not so great, really.

• Advertisement

Yeah, the old way to access your marketplace games was faster.

I've tried to pin stuff like Netflix and gametrailers but it doesn't seem to do anything worthwhile.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement