Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

ShaunC wrote: »
    You are Jim Corr aren't you ;-) ;-)
    You should take your theories here.
    http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?date_to=&date_from=&query=Conspiracy&forum=576

I'm simply telling you exactly what is possible with this technology. You believe they won't do anything with it. That's fine, that's your opinion. I'd rather not give them an opportunity to do something with it, particularly when I see no benefit in it for me. So there is no conspiracy here, because they're displaying their capabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Well I know that The Last of Us was the biggest game launch of the year, and sold more than Bioshock Infinite did on both 360 and PS3 combined, so definitely think Sony are doing fine on game sales.
    Id be quite surprised if that was the case, where do you get your figures?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Meesared wrote: »
    Id be quite surprised if that was the case, where do you get your figures?

http://www.gamesthirst.com/2013/06/17/the-last-of-us-sells-1-3-million-in-one-week-biggest-launch-of-2013/

Over 200,000 more copies than Bioshock infinite to be more precise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

The Last of Us should have sold more than any others this year. It's a great game by all accounts in a year when all of the focus is on the new consoles. Most games are being held back until they are released so a game like The Last of Us should be a shining light to any PS3 owner. I'll be picking it up at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭AirDemon

Put that in perspective though, it's expected to do that well and be one of the biggest sellers this year from PS3.

Halo 4 for example sold 3 million copies in the first 24 hours and had 4 million sales in the first week.... Or at least that's what I've read.

• Advertisement

Only in its first week, it still has a long way to go to reach Bioshock Infinites current total

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

But did it sell more games? A lot of people (like me) bought it as a blu-ray player with a side of games. I played uncharted and I will buy Last of Us when I get paid. That's 4 games I played. Otherwise it was a blu-ray player.

I must have bought well over 100 games for the Xbox and I reckon this current generation was firmly put down as a Microsoft win between MS and Sony.

Now I'm just one guy but there has to be plenty like me. And there's be plenty who played the crap out of their PS3.

I'd like to see the figures between total games sold for each platform because the 360 was easily the better gaming platform thanks to the controller, the quality of xbox live, generally better performance and more/better exclusives IMO.

The controllers are still one of my biggest selling points. At the end of the day I want to be comfortable sitting for hours on end. Hours playing with either one and the difference for me is significant. The Dual Shocks are an abomination and if Sony stopped being so stubborn and shifted the thumbstick to a more natural position it would be job done.

Ps3 sells about 10% more games than the 360 according to this

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/250962/weekly-sales-analysis-11-may-lifetime-ps3-sales-right-behind-x360/

yoyo wrote: »
    Being honest, I was also shocked that Sony didn't have any DRM either. Remember Sony are the guys that brought out the Rootkit Music CD protection, the controversial Securom protection (PC games and software> Online Key activation and Disc checking) and recently the Cinavia protection on DVD/BluRays they strongly supported.
    Fair play to them all the same for not implementing DRM on the PS4 and also pressuring Microsoft to drop it as a result. I think Sim City 2013 should be an excellent example of how cloud DRM "works" so well..

Nick

Agreed. If anybody was arsed to look back over this thread they'd see posts from me stating categorically that there is no way that Sony wasn't going to follow with something similar and that there was no way MS would have made this move on their own.

MS were wrong footed this time but I genuinely believe that consoles will move towards a similar model to PCs in coming generations, with regards discs, DRM and cloud based processing. Sony needed a win this time as the rest of the company isn't in great shape, afaik, so were never going to take a huge risk. Well played Sony.

AirDemon wrote: »
    Put that in perspective though, it's expected to do that well and be one of the biggest sellers this year from PS3.

Halo 4 for example sold 3 million copies in the first 24 hours and had 4 million sales in the first week.... Or at least that's what I've read.

Halo is a franchise that has been around for over a decade, The Last of Us is a new IP. Thats clearly going to affect game sales. If it means anything else, The Last of Us is also the best/fastest selling new IP of this generation.

Was the PS3 cracked the way the Xbox was? I remember a few years back Sony were all over a couple of guys for doing it. That could account for a decent amount of game sales missed out on by Xbox. I know plenty of people with cracked and flashed Xboxes but nobody with a cracked PS3. No wonder Sony were happy enough not to go down the DRM route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭TNT2k_

You'd swear it's gigantic the way your talking about it and you have wear the power brick around your neck like a chain while playing. Playstation can't have anything like the Kinect because they dont own the IP of such a device hence PlayStations delightful glow sticks tracking movement.

I haven't seen any evidence that the PS has a faster system than Xbox One. I have seen the specs are a bit better. Has we know from console history it isn't the must powerful hardware that wins, its what you you do with it :)
    This should provide a good read in regards to both sysmtem's power and how they compare. It's actually very interesting and not too full-on with the tech talk at all.

Basically the PS4 has a 50% raw power advantage (which could grow with optimisation) and has a clear advantage with 8GB of GDDR RAM.

Generally it's true to say the most powerful console isn't always the one to win, but in those cases they are always cheaper and deliver on the games- it's what you do with it as you said. Wii and PS2 are examples of this. At a contrast though, the PS4 is cheaper, more powerful and is delivering on the games. This changes things an awful lot.

Holy moly, I am going to have to take a wall out to fit this Xbox thing in :confused:
    ps4vsxboxonesize-2-335x215.jpg

This is a more accurate size comparison, as well as the power brick which is bigger than the X1 controller itself.

xbox-one-vs-ps4-in-size.jpg

dDGBpTj.png

There's talk that it doesn't matter how big it is, but from an engineering point of view it's ridiculous that the weaker console can't integrate the power supply into the box and have a smaller form-factor than the more powerful rival box.

Was the PS3 cracked the way the Xbox was? I remember a few years back Sony were all over a couple of guys for doing it. That could account for a decent amount of game sales missed out on by Xbox. I know plenty of people with cracked and flashed Xboxes but nobody with a cracked PS3. No wonder Sony were happy enough not to go down the DRM route.

Yes, it was pretty each to jailbreak the PS3 when the jailbreak first came out, but Sony released an update and it hasn't been jailbroken since and there isn't anyway to downgrade the patch.
    Meesared wrote: »
    Only in its first week, it still has a long way to go to reach Bioshock Infinites current total

Well it hasn't even been out a week so its doing pretty well. It sold that much in 3 days, I haven't seen any updated figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭AirDemon

Halo is a franchise that has been around for over a decade, The Last of Us is a new IP. Thats clearly going to affect game sales. If it means anything else, The Last of Us is also the best/fastest selling new IP of this generation.

Yeah that's true, good point.

I would still expect very strong sales from it, probably wouldn't have expected it to do as well as it has though.

That being said I've never owned a PS3 and from what I've seem about this game I've been considering getting one so maybe I shouldn't be that surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭TNT2k_

The Last of Us should have sold more than any others this year. It's a great game by all accounts in a year when all of the focus is on the new consoles. Most games are being held back until they are released so a game like The Last of Us should be a shining light to any PS3 owner. I'll be picking it up at some stage.

Well to be fair I've been trying to get a hold of it everywhere since it came out last Friday. It sold out day one. It's only today I'm hoping to get a copy, if at all with my luck so far :P

It would've sold more had there been more stock, but it's a long road and it's selling very well so I think it'll get there in the end. I read that it's the highest selling new IP since LA Noire in 2011. That's an achievement considering that was a multiplatform Rockstar game.

I think theyre trying to avoid the reliability issues from the 360 by making cooling a priority, which TBH I'd rather they make the console bigger and more reliable.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Can honestly say the power-brick doesn't bother or offend me in any way. If the console is cooler and quieter with an external power-brick than so be it. I wish the PS4 would do the same and make it even smaller and even quieter.

Between power cables, a/c gangs, speaker cabling and ethernet switches I don't care if there's a power-brick chucked in there too.

Anyone who is bothered by it must not own a 360 I presume?

It bothers me. I own a 360 and I try to hide all the wires behind a desk but the power brick makes that a lot harder for the 360 compared to everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Yo Mamma

Online check ins are bad! We hate DRM!
    *Removes DRM*
    Online check ins were the wave of the future, I want digital only back.

The family sharing plan is awful! That's so dumb i can't pay for a game once, have 10 pf my friends play for free, and play it whenever they want!
    *Removes family sharing*
    I can't believe they removed family sharing that is so awful it was the best thing ever!

The kinect is spying on me for the NSA! I play games naked, in the dark, with my 9 family sharing friends!
    *Removes Internet requirement*
    Microsoft has installed a hidden wifi transmitter in the Kinect and they're still watching me and my 9 naked friends! Perverts!

The cloud is stupid and isn't going to work! Cloud is a dumb word! I have to be online 24 hours a day for the cloud to work!
    *you never had to be online all day*
    The cloud was the best thing to ever happen to video games! It won't work at all now!

Microsoft is the worst company ever! They never listen to gamers! They just roll around in their gold coins à la Scrooge McDuck!
    *Listens to fans*
    You're not doing it for the fans you're doing it to make money you evil for profit company!

I will never buy an Xbox One with all these horrible policies and restrictions!
    *removed policies and restrictions*
    I was never going to buy an Xbox one anyways! I don't even have a TV! I live on a pirate ship and am connecting to Gamefaqs through a satellite phone!

This is so wrong that you can't play Xbox One in th depths of the Congo! I'm a peace corp volunteer and I needs me some games!
    *removes region lock*
    Nothing, since no one was in the Congo.

I'm so mad at this thread even though I didn't read it! I'm going to ask for a TLDR!!! Rawr!!
    TLDR stop complaining you hypocritical trolls
    Why'd you waste your time I ain't reading no words no how rawr rawr

Source

Made me laugh :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Can honestly say the power-brick doesn't bother or offend me in any way. If the console is cooler and quieter with an external power-brick than so be it. I wish the PS4 would do the same and make it even smaller and even quieter.

Between power cables, a/c gangs, speaker cabling and ethernet switches I don't care if there's a power-brick chucked in there too.

I own a 360, its a great console now that the rrod has been sorted, the power brick is a nuisance. Comparing the Ps4 and X1, the power brick is a negative, its not enough to instantly put me off a console but enough negatives add up, the ps4 not having an external power brick is of course a plus:)

• Advertisement

I own a 360, its a great console now that the rrod has been sorted, the power brick is a nuisance. Comparing the Ps4 and X1, the power brick is a negative, its not enough to instantly put me off a console but enough negatives add up, the ps4 not having an external power brick is of course a plus:)
    Has the PS4 not having an external power supply been confirmed?

Fair enough I see why people might be bothered by it. I can genuinely say I haven't given it a second thought since I plonked it down behind the TV.

As I said above, if I end up going for a PS4 I'd rather they went external if it meant it was smaller, cooler and quieter too

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I envy people who's biggest problem with a console is the size of it's power brick.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Interesting, I cant seem to find an image of what is actually inside the PS4, can anyone post up an image if there is one.
    "Xbox One's internals are cleanly designed with a focus on keeping things cool and quiet - hence the high quality heat sink and the rather large fan." - Wired

Here is the Xbox One.
    600x-1

If it means anything this is the internals of the PS3 Super Slim:
    http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/PlayStation+3+Super+Slim+Teardown/10670/1

Really shows that Sony are the superior hardware company.

If it means anything this is the internals of the PS3 Super Slim:
    http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/PlayStation+3+Super+Slim+Teardown/10670/1

Really shows that Sony are the superior hardware company.

I think it's closer than you think now. The 360s was very well made. Feck all hardware complaints. MS are terrified of another RROD happening so they have really upped their game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I think it's closer than you think now. The 360s was very well made. Feck all hardware complaints. MS are terrified of another RROD happening so they have really upped their game.

Really upped their game? Have you seen the inside of the xbox one, half of it is empty space

KoCVH.jpg

Really upped their game? Have you seen the inside of the xbox one, half of it is empty space

Why do you think the empty space is there?

I'm curious to know why a bit of empty space is a bad thing, I know in PC building empty space = better airflow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

Why do you think the empty space is there?

To hide drugs from the five-O yo!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement