Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Empty space is fine, but whats even more optimal is airflow away from the console. I'd say the large grill on the top of One helps with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Why do you think the empty space is there?

Poor design. They probably are afraid of RRODs happening but if ultra slim laptops and the ps4 can keep their machines well ventilated at half the size, why can't microsoft?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

I think it's closer than you think now. The 360s was very well made. Feck all hardware complaints. MS are terrified of another RROD happening so they have really upped their game.

I'm pretty sure the 360 was designed by a firm outside of MS, I may be wrong about that but thats what I've read. Whereas the Xbox One was designed by Microsoft themselves.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Poor design. They probably are afraid of RRODs happening but if ultra slim laptops and the ps4 can keep their machines well ventilated at half the size, why can't microsoft?

Is the PS4 half the size?

Ultra slim laptops don't count because you pay 1500 quid for one and it would be just about as powerful as the Xbox One.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

To hide drugs from the five-O yo!!

Like the old PS2 with that space for the ethernet adaptor.

Anyway, here is the most recent graph I could find for failure rates. Pretty impressive from MS considering their shocking start and the fact that many of the older, poorly built models are still floating around and failing in 2012, which would up their stats. Theoretically, the S could have even fewer failures than PS3.

14b095a44724412b50d8252617fe15b6289f1999.jpg__620x321_q85_crop_upscale.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Is the PS4 half the size?

Ultra slim laptops don't count because you pay 1500 quid for one and it would be just about as powerful as the Xbox One.

Xbox One is like 65% bigger volume wise.

Not sure why you're talking about PS4 reliability. For all we know it could be twice as likely to fail as a PS3 or Xbox One. Pointless reference.

The design is for circulation or air and dispersing heat. Most gaming PCs are bigger than the Xbox One for this very reason. I'm at the beginning of a new build and will be trying to keep it as sparsely populated and airy as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭Penn

ShaunC wrote: »
    Oh my god, you mean there are going to be millions of MS employees watching me sitting on the couch playing my X1 and occasionally scratching my balls and shouting at the tv "I shot you first"........God they will get bored quickly watching me:D
    Maybe I should throw a towel over the "spycam" and play loud music when I want to talk to someone like in the movies, that'll teach them;)

Not sure if you use GMail, but ever notice how, when reading an email, the ad just above the email relates to words mentioned in your email?

Google employees obviously aren't reading all your emails and deciding what ads to place, it's automatic. It recognises prominent words in your email and displays ads accordingly. That's what people are afraid of with the always-on Kinect; that it will be able to identify words and stuff and target stuff like game/netflix suggestions towards that. That it'll recognise if there's children and suggest based on that etc.

The fact is, it's all speculation, but the fact that the Kinect has to always be plugged in for the console to function does nothing but fuel that speculation, and that's damaging people's trust in the Xbone.

(Fun Fact: If your GMail email contains words like 9/11 or rape, no ads will show up at all)

I'm pretty sure the 360 was designed by a firm outside of MS, I may be wrong about that but thats what I've read. Whereas the Xbox One was designed by Microsoft themselves.

Yep, a design & branding company with the most narcissistic name of all time - Jager Di Paola Kemp

http://www.jdk.com/clients/xbox-360/product-design

I'm talking about the 360s. The upgrade, not the original model of the 360. Was this also designed externally? Because whoever designed it appears to have sorted the RROD problems, probably along with the superior MBs they introduced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I wonder why Sony hasn't released pictures of the PS4 internals, what are they hiding :)

Not sure why you're talking about PS4 reliability. For all we know it could be twice as likely to fail as a PS3 or Xbox One. Pointless reference.

The design is for circulation or air and dispersing heat. Most gaming PCs are bigger than the Xbox One for this very reason. I'm at the beginning of a new build and will be trying to keep it as sparsely populated and airy as possible.

I never mentioned ps4's reliability. :confused:

I'm quite aware of pc ventilation, the xbox one doesn't look very efficient from a size/ventilation perspective.
    Meesared wrote: »
    I'm curious to know why a bit of empty space is a bad thing, I know in PC building empty space = better airflow

Empty space = bigger :rolleyes:

I wonder why Sony hasn't released pictures of the PS4 internals, what are they hiding :)

They won't be hiding anything. MS were seemingly ahead of them in their design for the box so they're probably just finalising stuff. It'll be fine.

:confused: So if Microsoft does something, Sony has to the exact same thing at the exact same time?

Does anyone else thing that X1 seems a bit rushed? I think that if they explained their intentions a bit better they could have come out of e3 far better. It all seems like it a knee jerk reaction from Sony's February announcement.

I never mentioned ps4's reliability. :confused:

I'm quite aware of pc ventilation, the xbox one doesn't look like very efficient from a size/ventilation perspective.

You did though. In bold:
    Can it keep it well ventilated at half the size? Nobody will know until at least a year or two into the life-cycle.

You did though. In bold:

Can it keep it well ventilated at half the size? Nobody will know until at least a year or two into the life-cycle.

I never mentioned reliability. I was talking about ventilation and not reliability, it's not that hard to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

I was talking about ventilation not reliability, it's not that hard to understand.

Why are you discussing ventilation if not in the context of reliability?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I never mentioned reliability. I was talking about ventilation and not reliability, it's not that hard to understand.

No you said 'well' ventilated. If something is well ventilated it would suggest sufficiently ventilated which we won't know for years.

miralize wrote: »
    :confused: So if Microsoft does something, Sony has to the exact same thing at the exact same time?

Does anyone else thing that X1 seems a bit rushed? I think that if they explained their intentions a bit better they could have come out of e3 far better. It all seems like it a knee jerk reaction from Sony's February announcement.

I think they explained things horribly at E3 and the people at the top showed contempt for the intelligence of the people who would be watching that show. The best thing they can do is never let some of those guys near the media again and get in people who are more in tune with the prevailing sentiment for the rest of this console's life-cycle.

I actually think that the PS4 announcement was rushed as they had no box to show and showed very little of the interface. It was pretty much a games and spec launch. The Xbox One (or 720\Durango as it was then) dev specs that were released a couple of years ago are very similar to where they are at now.

Ah go away out of that. If something is poorly ventilated, it will not be reliable. If it is well ventilated, it is more likely to be reliable.

Either way, you've made a definitive statement about something that isn't released yet.

• Advertisement

Newaglish wrote: »
    Why are you discussing ventilation if not in the context of reliability?

I was talking about the design of the xbox one and it's size and they could have made it smaller without sacrificing ventilation too much and used the ps4 as a comparison.

Jaysus...
    Ah go away out of that. If something is poorly ventilated, it will not be reliable. If it is well ventilated, it is more likely to be reliable.

Either way, you've made a definitive statement about something that isn't released yet.

No I didn't, I'll kindly ask you to stop putting words in my mouth. I never mentioned reliabilty and I also never said anything was poorly ventilated, read carefully. You're seeing what you want to see.

I think they explained things horribly at E3 and the people at the top showed contempt for the intelligence of the people who would be watching that show. The best thing they can do is never let some of those guys near the media again and get in people who are more in tune with the prevailing sentiment for the rest of this console's life-cycle.

I actually think that the PS4 announcement was rushed as they had no box to show and showed very little of the interface. It was pretty much a games and spec launch. The Xbox One (or 720\Durango as it was then) dev specs that were released a couple of years ago are very similar to where they are at now.

Except for the fact that it was originally supposed to be going for a $300 price point. Maybe a bit overly ambitious.

I dont really get the whole no physical box argument. They spoke far more in depth about the internals & how it was going to help developers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I see the Xbox One has taken the top spot in Amazon's best sellers list. Amazing the difference a day makes :)

http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-video-games/zgbs/videogames/ref=sv_vg_11

I was talking about the design of the xbox one and it's size and they could have made it smaller without sacrificing ventilation too much and used the ps4 as a comparison.

Jaysus...

But how do you know that the PS4 will be as well ventilated? How do you know that the Xbox One design isn't far superior and that MS were right to do what they did? It's impossible to know until a couple of years into the life-cycle. For all we know the PS4 could have twice the hardware faults due to poor ventilation than the Xbox One. On the other hand, it could be revolutionary and everyone will start designing their PCs like this. This is the point I was making. You don't know yet.

miralize wrote: »

I dont really get the whole no physical box argument. They spoke far more in depth about the internals & how it was going to help developers.

Ah, it didn't really bother me, tbh. Just making the point that I think Sony rushed their announcement more than MS, based on the fact that they hadn't got the physical product or interface down at that point.

I think MS had a clear plan on where they were going for a long time. It was just the wrong plan in the current climate and nobody had the foresight to recognise this.

No I didn't, I'll kindly ask you to stop putting words in my mouth. I never mentioned reliabilty and I also never said anything was poorly ventilated, read carefully. You're seeing what you want to see.

Okay, remove reliability from all my posts. Now, what is my overall point? We're arguing over semantics and incorrect terminology here when my main point was that your definitive statements are without basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Ultra Slim laptops have no optical drive, have SSD rather than HDD and no GPU, which means less moving parts and less heat generated during usage - less heat to manage and dissipate.

Also, if Microsoft or Sony were given free reign to design a console that would retail at €1499, then I am pretty sure that we would see something radically different than the two currently on offer as Next Gen.

Okay, remove reliability from all my posts. Now, what is my overall point? We're arguing over semantics and incorrect terminology here when my main point was that your definitive statements are without basis.

Ok I was incorrect to say the ps4 is well ventilated, we don't know. My point is that the xbox one looks far bigger than it needs to be in comparison to the ps4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Ok I was incorrect to say the ps4 is well ventilated, we don't know. My point is that the xbox one looks far bigger than it needs to be in comparison to the ps4.
    Maybe the PS4 is smaller than it needs to be?

• Advertisement

Meesared wrote: »
    Maybe the PS4 is smaller than it needs to be?

Omg how can you say that, YOU DON'T KNOW. :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement