Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 TomWN

That just means those games won't look as good. PS4 is the more powerful console, its not an opinion.

The capacity of each component is not what determines the power of a console. More important is the configuration of the system architecture, and we don't know enough about either system to make a definitive statement like this
    miralize wrote: »
    I know its an expensive technology, but i was really disappointed that both of the consoles dont adopt SSD's, even a small SSD for the boot up OS only. At least the PS4 hard drive is user replaceable

You don;t want an SSD in a console. They are limited to a certain number of operations (read/writes) and once it reaches that limit they stop permanently. Hard Disks are still slightly better for the long term. They could last 10 years, but a SSD won't

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

TomWN wrote: »
    The capacity of each component is not what determines the power of a console. More important is the configuration of the system architecture, and we don't know enough about either system to make a definitive statement like this

You don;t want an SSD in a console. They are limited to a certain number of operations (read/writes) and once it reaches that limit they stop permanently. Hard Disks are still slightly better for the long term. They could last 10 years, but a SSD won't

But I said that I did?

SSD's had teething problems when first adopted but I'm pretty sure that if most high end pc manufacturers are using them , I see no reason why it shouldnt be in my console.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

The whole size of the consoles debate can be easily solved, firstly the Xbone is American and we all know how heavy they are with their fat fingers and all, whereas the PS4 is made by the Japs who are small with tiny fingers so can work in tighter spaces.
    Enough with the size debate already do we really care that much or are we all living in shoe boxes and need the extra space for our tinbox special edition games.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 TomWN

But I said that I did?

SSD's had teething problems when first adopted but I'm pretty sure that if most high end pc manufacturers are using them , I see no reason why it shouldnt be in my console.

There are still quite a few problems with SSD's. I'm just saying it's not good to put into a console

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I think I have discovered a way to stop our kinect overlords from stealing our identities and taking over our lives. It needs power to run so what if you just unplug it or use the switch on the wall when you talk about your super secret awesome plans? Thats if they dont include the option of turning off the "xbox on" features.

Then the Xbox won't work. That's why a lot of people are suspect about it. Not sure I trust the "ok it's off, we swear" feature.

For me it's less about direct privacy and more about data gathering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

That just means those games won't look as good. PS4 is the more powerful console, its not an opinion.
    On paper yes, the PS4 is more powerful than the XBox One. What that translates to in terms of real world performance difference even when the eSRAM in the XBox One is factored in, is completely unknown at this point. The 50% figure being bandied about by some around here is complete nonsense though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    For example, let's say you're having a conversation about Game of Thrones in your living room with Kinect listening away. Next time you're browsing Xbox Live you see an ad saying "You know GoT is on Netflix now?". Surely (as long as you're aware that it can do this through the ToU) this is a good thing?
    I wouldn't want that crap. Any targeted ads, even assuming it was right on the money with what I wanted would be things I'd know already. I don't linger on the ads on the 360 though and wouldn't be looking at them on the One either, but targeted ads don't make me any more interested in them.
    TNT2k_ wrote: »
    They said there's no smoke and mirrors with the PS4. The Xbox used more powerful windows computers for their demos. If the Xbox can do it, there's no doubt in the world the PS4 can do it too as it's more powerful.
    Forza, Killer Instinct and Ryse weren't running on more powerful machines...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hands-on-with-xbox-one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

I wonder how many of us would let Eircom, Sky, RTÉ............ stick a Camera in our Sitting rooms and told customers "trust us its just for your own good and betterment of the service we are providing you!"

I remember refusing Sky permission to even hook my sky box up to my phone line! They get access to what I decide they can access!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭TNT2k_

gizmo wrote: »
    On paper yes, the PS4 is more powerful than the XBox One. What that translates to in terms of real world performance difference even when the eSRAM in the XBox One is factored in, is completely unknown at this point. The 50% figure being bandied about by some around here is complete nonsense though.
    How is it complete nonsense? If we're talking about GPU power then yes, the PS4 is 50% more powerful as it has 50% more CUs, that is a plain fact.
    On the graphics side it’s once again obvious that Microsoft and Sony are shopping at the same store as the Xbox One’s SoC integrates an AMD GCN based GPU. Here’s where things start to get a bit controversial. Sony opted for an 18 Compute Unit GCN configuration, totaling 1152 shader processors/cores/ALUs. Microsoft went for a far smaller configuration: 768 (12 CUs).

Now if we're taking about RAM, the PS4 uses 8GB of GDDR5 RAM, so the system bandwidth memory is 176.0 GB/s versus the X1's 8GB DDR3 RAM which gives 68.3GB/s.

ESRAM was added to bulk up the system bandwidth memory but it's not going to be capable of boosting it up the level of the PS4, it'll raise it alright, but that much is certain. It's rumoured to bring the total up to 102GB/s which doesn't overtake the PS4 because that is a limitation of using DDR3 RAM and the supposed 32MB ESRAM.

So on paper the PS4 is more powerful and in reality it will most likely be also. Both systems will do great with a heap of time so developers can optimise them efficiently, but as it stands the PS4 will be the more powerful machine.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Forza, Killer Instinct and Ryse weren't running on more powerful machines...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hands-on-with-xbox-one
    I stand corrected then. I'll await the eventual reveal of Uncharted to really showcase the system, here's hoping it'll come out anyway! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

jaffusmax wrote: »
    I wonder how many of us would let Eircom, Sky, RTÉ............ stick a Camera in our Sitting rooms and told customers "trust us its just for your own good and betterment of the service we are providing you!"

I remember refusing Sky permission to even hook my sky box up to my phone line! They get access to what I decide they can access!

That's different, kinect actually does something.

Mods sort this out. This is turning into conspiracy theories thread...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

gizmo wrote: »

I don't see how it's complete nonsense, ps4 has 1152 shader processors. Microsoft have 768 shader processors, or 1.84 TFLOPS compared to 1.23 TFLOPS.

So on paper ps4 has 50% more graphical power before we get to the clock rates and memory bandwidth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

A non-biased comparison of the pros of each console

UzIXti8.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

I don't see how it's complete nonsense, ps4 has 1152 shader processors. Microsoft have 768 shader processors, or 1.84 TFLOPS compared to 1.23 TFLOPS.

So on paper ps4 has 50% more graphical power before we get to the clock rates and memory bandwidth.

Oh yea like how the ps3 was more powerful bla bla bla, and most people thought some games ran better on the 360. Its not all hardware like.

That's a fair sum up alright. If you weigh them both up and find one suits your needs more so than the other then perfect, as it should be, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Nolars wrote: »
    Oh yea like how the ps3 was more powerful bla bla bla, and most people thought some games ran better on the 360. Its not all hardware like.

Xbox 360 had a better graphics card which is the most important part when it comes graphical performance so your point is null and void.

The PS3 was more powerful than the 360 and gave games like Uncharted 3 and God of War 3. The problem with the PS3 though was that it was notoriously difficult to develop for in comparison to the 360 as well as having a RAM bottleneck, so that did hinder its potential. Still though, games like The Last of Us look phenomenal this far on in the gen and I've yet to see anything look that good on the 360.

This time around the PS4 is more powerful, there are no bottlenecks and it's far easier to develop for, so a lot more potential can be gotten out of it as it's easier to do it this time around. There are no excuses because more of the system can be utilised more effectively and easily, so I'd expect a sizeable graphical advantage down the line, with time, on the PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

The PS3 and the 360 was a harder comparsion due to Sony using the whole Cell system and all that complicated nonsense. This made the PS3 a tougher beast to develop for and skewed the balance. This time both systems are using standard architecture so straight numbers can be better used for any comparsions.

Yeah, it's real far fecthed hair brained stuff alright. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

What I find most mind boggling about it all is why will there have to be a day one patch when the console launches. The launch is 5 months away yet they cant seem to change the firmware/software to remove that feature.

Is it a way to keep that feature in there but not active?
    Is the day one patch for the software/game or for the firmware?

I always expected a Day One patch....for both consoles, much like the Wii U the firmware/software that is shipped and installed at the factory is months old.

Its a paceholder firmware, just to turn the box on, enter your details and setup your account and get online. Most of the features wont be enabled or fully working with the default firmware.

There will be a huge difference in the power-on firmware you get and what the Day One update looks like.

What I find most mind boggling about it all is why will there have to be a day one patch when the console launches. The launch is 5 months away yet they cant seem to change the firmware/software to remove that feature.

Is it a way to keep that feature in there but not active?
    Is the day one patch for the software/game or for the firmware?

Another point, it proves that MS must have already manufactured a good amount of consoles with the DRM stuff installed for them to announce this patch, but they did say a day one patch was already a given....but now it'll strip out the DRM instead of say bugfixing or adding features.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

If I did not plan on using it then it just sits there doing nothing but stare at me, so for me it would be no different than an unwanted camera in my room.

I'd be terribly :o if a screen grab of me playing Call Of Duty in my shorts ended up on the net :(

Btw....how long before the Kinect sex tape appears?

Gamestop getting a good bashing here! http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-20-after-xbox-one-uturn-preowned-is-back-on-the-table-but-at-what-cost

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Btw....how long before the Kinect sex tape appears?

Day 2 :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Grayditch wrote: »
    Then the Xbox won't work. That's why a lot of people are suspect about it. Not sure I trust the "ok it's off, we swear" feature.

For me it's less about direct privacy and more about data gathering.

It solves the issue of it watching you sleep which seems the be what most of the paranoia is about. Do you trust your phone or is it part of the conspiracy too?

The worst it can do is see you scratch yourself and bring up an ad for sti clinics in your area.

It solves the issue of it watching you sleep which seems the be what most of the paranoia is about. Do you trust your phone or is it part of the conspiracy too?

The worst it can do is see you scratch yourself and bring up an ad for sti clinics in your area.

Conspiracy, ok. Maybe the Microsoft/NSA saga, which I'm sure you're keeping up to date on, is for another thread, but this is the reason I'm not getting the Xbox.

The price is fine. The DRM was bad, but not a deal breaker, but this camera thing. Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Rare aren't doing the new killer instinct, assuming that's what they mean by a rare exclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

I wonder does everyone who bitch's about the privacy of microsoft use skype and other microsoft applications on there computers.

I wonder does everyone who bitch's about the privacy of microsoft use skype and other microsoft applications on there computers.

They should.
    Microsoft has declined to comment on whether Skype calls are, as was once widely touted, immune from wiretapping. However, the belief is that architectural changes to the Skype network may have removed that advantage.

Earlier this month, in the face of PRISM monitoring accusations, Microsoft gave the following statement

“We provide customer data only when we receive a legally binding order or subpoena to do so, and never on a voluntary basis. In addition we only ever comply with orders for requests about specific accounts or identifiers. If the government has a broader voluntary national security program to gather customer data we don’t participate in it.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

90 per cent of people don,t use kinect,
    its for kids games ,or fitness ,dancing games.
    XBOX is running windows 8,
    I expect the ps4 to be 20 to 30 per cent faster.
    it has faster memory .
    The kinect is a waste of space, processing power ,if you never use it.
    Google skype, nsa ,its well known to be acessed by american intelligence agencys ,
    even before microsoft bought it.
    THE only game i was really impressed with was titanfall ,and that,ll be released on the 360 ,as well as xbox 1.

I THINK they changed their mind ,re drm ,cos sonys console is cheaper ,and a very similar spec in terms of power .

They fear they would lose market share.
    Sony have a good console, easy to program for ,
    cheaper ,with no kinect.
    People that play fifa, cod, battlefield can play them on any console.

MOST of those tvs apps,are designed for the usa,
    wont be avaidable in ireland.
    Apart from netflix and youtube.

I hope both companys will allow other third party controllers ,
    i dont like the sony controller.

I think the 360 was very successful in ireland ,
    because it was cheaper than the ps3.
    You did,nt have to use a kinect.
    Most of the games i play are avaidable on both consoles.

if i have a sky box ,i cant SEE the point of using an xbox to watch tv,
    Its not gonna have the full sky tv guide on it anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement