Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭TNT2k_

Or do quick swaps between battery packs while playing the game, tbh I wouldn't want to have it any other way. I often run out of charge in the middle of the game, bought 20 euro controller dock with 2 battery packs. One charges, while the other plays.

Except the way the PS3 does it if your controller goes dead you just plug in the USB and charge while you're still playing. There's no fucking around with battery packs and having to stop and swap them. Not to mention it saves you from buying expensive (for what they're worth) charging add-ons.

I can't see why you'd want to have the less convenient, more bothersome and expensive route at all tbh. I thought that was an annoyance they would've sorted out by now.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

TNT2k_ wrote: »
    Except the way the PS3 does it if your controller goes dead you just plug in the USB and charge while you're still playing. There's no fucking around with battery packs and having to stop and swap them. Not to mention it saves you from buying expensive (for what they're worth) charging add-ons.

I can't see why you'd want to have the less convenient, more bothersome and expensive route at all tbh. I thought that was an annoyance they would've sorted out by now.

You might have misunderstood, the MS play and charge kit can still power a controller even if it has rechargeable AA's in it. This covers me for when the batteries die mid game. Current battery tech degrades over time, I'd rather replace the cells, than the whole proprietary controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

And when you have kids running around the charge and play cable becomes the centre of a skipping game......until the while lot comes crashing down.....rechargeable AA batteries are my preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

TNT2k_ wrote: »

Not a hope of me playing with a cable connected to the console, ill pull that thing out when im playing like a fish out of the water.

Maybe because its more convenient, if your PS3 batteries run out, you still pause the game and connect the controller. While your going to be tethered for the next couple of hours, ill just swap and keep on playing.

/GAMEOVER

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

The USB cable that came with the PS3 was ridiculously short too - maybe only 1m. I was sitting on a footrest playing Last of Us the other night because the battery in the controller was dead when I switched it on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

PS4 supports charging through usb when the console is off , something the xbox 360 does at present, very handy feature.

although if we're down to griping about batteries in a controller, things are looking up! :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

although if we're down to griping about batteries in a controller, things are looking up! :)

Hahaha, no...no they're not at all :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Please god let this be true!!!
    Rumour: Microsoft to announce Xbox One self-publishing at Build

Microsoft might be playing a little catch-up to Sony’s effort in helping indie-devs self-publish on its platform, if rumour is to be believed.

As noted on NeoGaf, Microsoft may be about to announce a self-publishing system for indies at its Build Developer Conference on Wednesday.

There are some interesting tweets from Notch, Supernnauation and others, suggesting something may be about to happen as regards making Xbox One more indie-friendly.

If true, Microsoft may be taking note of general calls to diversify Xbox One’s content.

The talk comes after Microsoft u-turned on a ton of Xbox One DRM policies and dropped the need for the console to make an online check-in every 24 hours.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/24/rumour-microsoft-to-announce-xbox-one-self-publishing-at-build/

PS4 supports charging through usb when the console is off , something the xbox 360 does at present, very handy feature.

I typically switch all my A/V off at the socket at night. I've a master switch at the lights that switches off all bar one socket - the sky box.

Leaving stuff on standby 16/18 hours a day adds up.

I typically switch all my A/V off at the socket at night. I've a master switch at the lights that switches off all bar one socket - the sky box.

Leaving stuff on standby 16/18 hours a day adds up.

really? do you not have to go setting clocks on things again when you turn them on? I dont leave anything on standby (red light on etc.) I think it just acts as a pass through for the USB power, same as a phone charger?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,970 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

really? do you not have to go setting clocks on things again when you turn them on? I dont leave anything on standby (red light on etc.) I think it just acts as a pass through for the USB power, same as a phone charger?

Clock times are usually stored via back up batteries or some other long term solution. Appliances have been doing that for years! :D

I turn everything off at the sockets too. Waste of energy leaving things on standby.

Nope. System time is maintained like it would be on a PC/smartphone. It is passthrough - but it will still eat some juice. The sky box is actually one of the worst things you can leave on standby - it maintains satellite lock at all times - so I don't always do that either. But when you add up a Xbox, PS3, Amp, Sub, SkyBox, TV, Xbox battery charger, ethernet switch constantly left on standby it's money better off in my pocket than the ESB's.

The master switch is beside the light switches so just flick off both on the way off to bed.

Just spotted this

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/06/21/xbox-one-playstation-4-shatter-amazon-pre-order-records

if anything, regardless of what console you favour, people are thirsting for something new. The current generation of consoles lasted a fairly long time.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I'm definitely hating the X1 less and less...still gonna end up with a ps4 first and an X1 way down the line but their backtracking and near complete reversal on everything they tried to fuck with has been delightful...unfortunately they still did fuck with those things to begin with and have a long way to go before I trust them not to simply refuck with them with an enforced update down the line.

I'm definitely hating the X1 less and less...still gonna end up with a ps4 first and an X1 way down the line but their backtracking and near complete reversal on everything they tried to fuck with has been delightful...unfortunately they still did fuck with those things to begin with and have a long way to go before I trust them not to simply refuck with them with an enforced update down the line.

Somewhat unrelated, but last night was playing Black ops 2, then switched over to netflix to watch a show , streaming in full HD before bed.

it struck me how far we've come. the younger lads probably wont remember the days of the commodore 64, where you woulndn't make a sound while the game was loading off the tape for fear the whole thing would crash. :(

microsoft made a balls of the launch, but i'm ready to put it behind me and see where things will go from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Somewhat unrelated, but last night was playing Black ops 2, then switched over to netflix to watch a show , streaming in full HD before bed.

it struck me how far we've come. the younger lads probably wont remember the days of the commodore 64, where you woulndn't make a sound while the game was loading off the tape for fear the whole thing would crash. :(

microsoft made a balls of the launch, but i'm ready to put it behind me and see where things will go from here.

Haha ... How true, I never did get to play Creatures on the Commodore 64 because the bloomin thing would always fail to load (even though I had left the room to avoid any footsteps on the floor stopping it from loading, said a hundred prayers and hoped for the best :)).

The Xbox One got off to a rocky start - not because of hardware, or games line-up, but mainly due to poor communication of their vision. However, having been backed into a corner after E3 Microsoft seem to be coming out swinging and wanting to show what they can do.

I'm sure Sony have some surprises left up their PS4 sleeves.

It will certainly make the months to launch a lot more interesting to see what they can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I figure we'll see a lot more on the OS of the One in the coming days.

http://www.buildwindows.com/

Haha ... How true, I never did get to play Creatures on the Commodore 64 because the bloomin thing would always fail to load (even though I had left the room to avoid any footsteps on the floor stopping it from loading, said a hundred prayers and hoped for the best :)).

The Xbox One got off to a rocky start - not because of hardware, or games line-up, but mainly due to poor communication of their vision. However, having been backed into a corner after E3 Microsoft seem to be coming out swinging and wanting to show what they can do.

I'm sure Sony have some surprises left up their PS4 sleeves.

It will certainly make the months to launch a lot more interesting to see what they can do.

Not sure about that, so far all they've done is just about match what sony already offered (without being able to match sony's hardware of course)...which is great but i wouldn't go so far as to say they've come out swinging...come out on their knees might be more apt :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

By the time the consoles come out Microsoft would want to have matched everything Sony offer. And then more, if they want to claw back into the competition.

Clusterf*ck doesn't even begin to describe their campaign.

Not sure about that, so far all they've done is just about match what sony already offered (without being able to match sony's hardware of course)...which is great but i wouldn't go so far as to say they've come out swinging...come out on their knees might be more apt :cool:
    Yes, I'd agree ... Perhaps they are swinging like a boxer who has been on the ropes and wants to clear a path off the ropes ... but at least they're out talking to everyone about it. Whereas for the previous three weeks they had been burying their heads in the sand about it hoping it would blow over.

• Advertisement

I'm yet to see anything but Titan Fall that interests me, exclusive wise. Not that the PS4 has much better, both consoles are light on exclusives, but I'd guess Sony will deliver more of them, sooner than MS. There will be a game that will make me shell out for an Xbox aswel, I'm sure. If that one from Insomniac delivers the goods, then I'll be step closer to picking one up. If Witcher 3 wasn't multiplatform, that would be the one, for sure.

Grayditch wrote: »
    but I'd guess Sony will deliver more of them, sooner than MS.

Why do you think this?

What games had you in mind?

Why do you think this?

Honestly, it's a sentiment I can't help but agree with. Naughty Dog are going to do great things with the PS4, as are Namco Bandai with Tales games, and Quantic Dream. I expect the PS4 will definitely have lots of great exclusives. I don't have the same optimism for the One as I did when buying the 360. BioWare and Bethesda made great games for the original Xbox, so buying the 360 was a foregone conclusion. They're multiplat now. I'm sure the One will end up having must own exclusives, but none immediately come to mind in the same way I can think of ones for the PS4.

Edit: Well, there is D4. The new game from Swery. I figure that'll be great.

Quantum Break is intriguing me for the One, as an exclusive, but I've yet to see actual gameplay footage so remain on the fence.

Titanfall could be another (I know, it's coming to PC as well, but I'm not one of the Master Race :)).

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭TNT2k_

Why do you think this?

Sony has more game studios than Microsoft and many of them have games in development for years that we haven't seen yet.

There's two teams from Naughty Dog who make uncharted (though they're just done with The last of Us, so I wouldn't expect anything anytime soon with that half of ND). The God of War studio has two titles in development, the guys that make kKllzone have another unseen title, the Heavy Rain guys too. There's loads we still have yet to see.

There's 20 exclusives coming in the first year to the PS4, 12 are new IPs. It's pretty well known Sony deliver more exclusives than Microsoft or Nintendo, so it's a safe bet that won't slow down any time soon.

Why do you think this?

Well, Sony seem to be on a roll with exclusives on PS3, but after The Witcher 2 and a few indie games, I found myself not using the Xbox 360 as much. I thought Alan Wake 2 would be her by now to give me a reason to boot the old dog back up. I liked the last Halo, I guess, but that love was short lived. I loved Gears 1, but not 2 or 3 so that francise is dead to be, even if they reboot it for the XB1.

On PS3, I play the Killzones, Resistances LBp, Uncharted etc. Sony just seem to deliver better exclusives. That could all change with the New Gen consoles, but I'd have to go with them on a gamble that they'll have more exclusives out by April, say. Just a gamble, based on current trends.

Ryse doesn't remotely interest me, and until I see a good bit of gameplay of Sunset Overdrive, I can't get excited about it.

Knack or Drive Club for the PS4 are not something I'd be interested in, but it's launching with Killzone, which for me is pushing to the PS4.

Like I said, the XB1 will have a game or two to make me get one, just not near the launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,908 ✭✭✭✭briany

The sky box is actually one of the worst things you can leave on standby

Had been turning everything off at night including the Sky box and the telly but this ended up frying them in the end. Can't turn the Sky box fully off now because there's no guarantee that it'll start back up again or start up with the ability to record and the telly had to be replaced. Maybe if you did the sums, though, you'd still find that the cost of replacing each would still be preferable to the cost of leaving each in standby.

Cant say i've enjoyed any ps exclusives this gen with the exception of the naughty dog games which were great, killzones were hugely overated imho and mediocre at best, and i couldent get into the infamous games, despite getting them for free and the god of war games were just good looking button mashers, just had more fun with the xbox, that said there's not much coming to either in the launch window that i have much interest in except for crimson dragoon maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Respawn, the game studio developing Titanfall have written a great article about Xbox live cloud.

http://www.respawn.com/news/lets-talk-about-the-xbox-live-cloud/

• Advertisement

I don't care about Killzone, Resistance, Infamous... But then, I haven't even gotten the latest Halo, Call of Duty or Gears. The PS4 had Metal Gear Solid 4, Heavy Rain, Ni No Kuni, Tales of Graces F. I haven't gotten around to playing the Uncharted games or TLOU yet. There is still Beyond Two Souls and Tales of Xillia to come this year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement