Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Cant say i've enjoyed any ps exclusives this gen with the exception of the naughty dog games which were great, killzones were hugely overated imho and mediocre at best, and i couldent get into the infamous games, despite getting them for free and the god of war games were just good looking button mashers, just had more fun with the xbox, that said there's not much coming to either in the launch window that i have much interest in except for crimson dragoon maybe

Exclusive wise, what Xbox games have you been playing in the last year? I'm just curious, because I've probably not been keeping up with them after The Witcher 2.

tbh there's not been much exclusives retail wise unless your into your shmups, (or gow:judgement which i havent been bothered about myself) in which case theres been some great titles (eg, SDOJ/Ginga Force etc.) there's been some great arcade stuff, mark of the ninja, sine mora, deadlight & most recently i've been enjoying state of decay.

Those scrolling shooters wouldn't be my bag. I remember getting Sine Mora free on PS Plus and only playing a bit of it, even though I liked it, I just went onto something else, probably The Last Of Us. State of Decay interests me, might be worth a go seeing as how the aul box is sitting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

A lot of Xbox exclusives tend to end up on PC and the same appears to be happening with the Xbone's - like Titanfall. As the same tends not to happen with the PlayStation's first-party titles, the tendency to pick up a PS4 over an Xbone is higher when talking about exclusives.

That's true. I'm considering getting a decent gaming PC instead of an XB1 to accompany the PS4.

• Advertisement

Spent many years gaming on the pc but the expense/hassle of constantly upgrading got to me in the end and i gave up completely on the whole thing, pc/component prices do seem to have come down in the last couple of years, what would ya build a good spec pc nowadays?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Spent many years gaming on the pc but the expense/hassle of constantly upgrading got to me in the end and i gave up completely on the whole thing, pc/component prices do seem to have come down in the last couple of years, what would ya build a good spec pc nowadays?

800 quid.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Actually we might see some interesting developments in "standardising" PC gaming over the next year.

Both the X1 and PS4 more or less use the same AMD developed architecture and AMD is expected to launch this architecture in PC's later this year.

I think this could lead to "affordable" (about €500) locked down gaming PC boxes with limited upgradability, but on the upside much less to go wrong and which games companies might specifically target.

It could also end up the "standard" for a steam box.

bk wrote: »
    Actually we might see some interesting developments in "standardising" PC gaming over the next year.

Both the X1 and PS4 more or less use the same AMD developed architecture and AMD is expected to launch this architecture in PC's later this year.

I think this could lead to "affordable" (about €500) locked down gaming PC boxes with limited upgradability, but on the upside much less to go wrong and which games companies might specifically target.

It could also end up the "standard" for a steam box.

Steambox does seem like an interesting premise to me, havent heard much about it lately but have been impressed with steam's big screen mode on my tv. looking forward to seeing how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Resistance and Killzone were average, LBP was crap, Uncharted were good. Have bought The Last of Us but not played it yet.
    I liked Halo, GoW and Fable but haven't bought the latest game in either series

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Respawn, the game studio developing Titanfall have written a great article about Xbox live cloud.

http://www.respawn.com/news/lets-talk-about-the-xbox-live-cloud/

It is an interesting article, but doesn't give any new information that would be of any surprise to anyone in the industry.

MS claimed that cloud computing would magically some how make their console 4 times more powerful!! There is zero evidence of that here.

All Respawn are doing here is hosting the servers for multiplayer games on a dedicated server, rather then using one of the gamers consoles client side as a server as is currently done.

This approach certainly has it's advantages, but it also has disadvantages which he doesn't mention.

He also seems to be stretching the truth a bit here to make MS sound better. He claims hundreds of thousands of servers would be required. That is certainly bs, no single game would require hundreds of thousands of servers, maybe a few thousand, but not more. If you talk about all games and all consoles, then you might reach a big number, but even then even if there were 100 million X1's, I doubt you would need more then a hundred thousand servers *.

The thing he doesn't mention is non of this is particularly hard or new, other games have already been doing this and there is nothing stopping Sony or a third party publisher doing the same for PS4.

Hell Sony could be really cheeky and even use Microsofts Azure Cloud servers for their own cloud based servers!!

That would be funny, but they are more likely to build their own or probably just use Amazons Cloud Service, which is considered one of by far the best and powers many great services like Netflix for instance.

What you need to understand is cloud services aren't something magical, they are basically just a couple of datacenters spread out across the world, full of servers that can be dynamically provisioned based on demand.

Most developers who are developing multiplatform games will want a pretty open and cross platform cloud solution that will work across both X1, PS4 and PC, so they will probably roll their own on Amazon or similar.

* Remember, even if you have a 100 million X1's not all of them are on and gaming at the same time or even playing online games (versus standalone) and you certainly don't need one server for each console. A server should easily be able to handle hundreds of clients simultaneously.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Grayditch wrote: »
    Those scrolling shooters wouldn't be my bag. I remember getting Sine Mora free on PS Plus and only playing a bit of it, even though I liked it, I just went onto something else, probably The Last Of Us. State of Decay interests me, might be worth a go seeing as how the aul box is sitting there.

Those indie games will, for the first few months, make up the bulk of the games on the PS store. Simply because they can churn them out quicker and cheaper then AAA titles.

Sony pushed indie hard....but they also need lots of indie titles to bulk up the catalog in the first 6-12 months.

Quantum Break is intriguing me for the One, as an exclusive, but I've yet to see actual gameplay footage so remain on the fence.

Titanfall could be another (I know, it's coming to PC as well, but I'm not one of the Master Race :)).

Quantum looks very interesting as its a crossover title, with the tv series....sure to be on xbox live as a free or premium download/stream tv show.

Microsoft are pushing entertainment and non games media hard, ergo the Halo tv show....i'm sure we'll see other tv shows based on games. Defiance is another one........

+1...i had to give up on PC upgrading, became too expensive and i couldnt keep up with the tech! :(

A high end graphics card can set you back 400-600 Euro...if you update the motherboard/CPU......:eek:

Thats why i switched to console gaming, much cheaper.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

+1...i had to give up on PC upgrading, became too expensive and i couldnt keep up with the tech! :(

A high end graphics card can set you back 400-600 Euro...if you update the motherboard/CPU......:eek:

Thats why i switched to console gaming, much cheaper.

It's useful to factor in the cost of the games too though over the lifetime of the console. Even new releases can be half the price on PC over console and you're getting a superior game on console. Actual 1080p with rich textures and higher frame-rates.

I spend about 200 on a graphics card every 3 or 4 years and upgrade mobo/CPU every 5 or so. Keeps me ticking over and the money saved on games makes up for it.

Also, you have to factor in that a PC does do a whole lot more than a console. People with consoles most likely have laptop or tablet too for their net-access/browsing or are forced to use their smartphone. I just have my desktop.

(I also have both Xbox 360 and PS3 before I'm accused of master-racism).

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭TNT2k_

mcgovern wrote: »
    Resistance and Killzone were average, LBP was crap, Uncharted were good. Have bought The Last of Us but not played it yet.

Oh something tells me not even Microsoft believes that :p

eme9hd9.png

Take a look at the second photo, it's Killzone Shadow Fall. That's the second time they've been caught using Killzone in their pics. The guys who make the game even took to twitter to thank MS for the free advertising :D

They're your opinions though, nothing wrong with that, but I found the atmosphere in resistance 1&3 to be great and the multiplayer/campaign in killzone 2 was great imo.

I thoroughly enjoyed Halo 3 and Gears 1, liked 2 as well though, but I found they really went down in quality after that and I didn't like how Halo started to become spammed so I went off those series.

If Microsoft continues this overreliance on Halo and Gears, like what happened at the end of this gen, then I won't be enticed into their console. I buy consoles for their exclusives and I hope they start making some "only on xbox" ones that are not also on PC.
    If they prove they can do that I will be interested but I have my doubts as they are aiming primarily for the casual TV crowd that like the odd hardcore game.

That's not appealing to me personally, but time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I don't really care how Killzone looks, tbh. The series so far has been a by the numbers shooter that can't rival the likes of Halo, BF3, GOW or COD for its multiplayer capabilites. The market was saturated already with those kinds of games so it was always going to struggle unless it was absolutely immense, which it wasn't. It's standard fare, gameplay-wise, so that would really need to improve for me to take it seriously against the games I've mentioned. Incidentally, I far preferred the Resistance single player and all.

It's all subjective of course, but I thought the Killzone 2 multiplayer was better than any Halo multiplayer experience since Halo 2. Killzone 3's multiplayer was a whole lot of fun, but lacked the imagination of KZ2 MP. I blame COD on the conformity :rolleyes:

It's all about what you're into. The controls in KZ weren't a patch on Halo or COD (to be fair) but it's dark, graphic novel style appeals to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭TNT2k_

Grayditch wrote: »
    It's all subjective of course, but I thought the Killzone 2 multiplayer was better than any Halo multiplayer experience since Halo 2. Killzone 3's multiplayer was a whole lot of fun, but lacked the imagination of KZ2 MP. I blame COD on the conformity :rolleyes:

It's all about what you're into. The controls in KZ weren't a patch on Halo or COD (to be fair) but it's dark, graphic novel style appeals to me.

I'd completely agree. Killzone 2 was heavy and unique in multiplayer and was very refreshing. It's more realistic to expect your soldier to move slower if he's carrying a huge amount of weight in armour and weapons, yet in COD you jump around in sub-zero gravity nearly.

I think COD has had a terrible effect on all shooters, killzone 3 went that route. It's just because COD is a piss easy, no skill game, which is why it's so popular because it's so accessible. I remember the critisism Killzone 2 got was because people just wanted a reskined COD and didn't like the different control feel. The weight was very cool though and gave a sense of power to your guns. COD feels like you're shooting a pellet gun instead a sub machine gun. It's strange.

People also complain about how dark and dull Killzonee was, but it was hugely detailed and had a "Sin City" feel with how the blood and gore was emphasised by that. Not to mention it really had a strong atmosphere. Great looking game, but it's hard to appreciate if you look at it from screen shots instead of playing it for yourself.

IMO, I prefered if they stayed going in that harsh direction over the more colourful one now, but I won't write it off just yet.

There does seem to be WAY too much FPS and sandbox games, we need more variety!
    I'd love to see a new Command & conquer for next gen [i know a new PC game is coming]....and some shmups or arcade stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

mcgovern wrote: »

If you've not bought Fable 3, but were vaguely curious, it's free until the end of June. (Gold members)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

If you've not bought Fable 3, but were vaguely curious, it's free until the end of June. (Gold members)

Thanks, I have it. I bought the special edition at launch, then won the normal edition a week or so later (sold it to a friend), and added the free one to my queue just in case the disk breaks :D
    I haven't played Fable: The Journey though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 WhoSaidWhut

Xbox One for me all the way home :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭rob808

anyone know what trade in value is for xbox 360 slim 250gb in smyth and gamestop

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Xbox One for me all the way home :D

Surely you'd want it for when you get home as well though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jimbob_jones

rob808 wrote: »
    anyone know what trade in value is for xbox 360 slim 250gb in smyth and gamestop

Not 100% sure if the offer is still running Rob but gamestop sent out a mail a few weeks ago with an offer, trade in your xbox 360 slim with 4 games from a list and get the xbox one for €249.

I will see if I can dig it out and post it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

They probably aren't going to give nearly as good without knowing you'll buy the One though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,908 ✭✭✭✭briany

It's useful to factor in the cost of the games too though over the lifetime of the console. Even new releases can be half the price on PC over console and you're getting a superior game on console. Actual 1080p with rich textures and higher frame-rates.

I spend about 200 on a graphics card every 3 or 4 years and upgrade mobo/CPU every 5 or so. Keeps me ticking over and the money saved on games makes up for it.

Also, you have to factor in that a PC does do a whole lot more than a console. People with consoles most likely have laptop or tablet too for their net-access/browsing or are forced to use their smartphone. I just have my desktop.

(I also have both Xbox 360 and PS3 before I'm accused of master-racism).

This is why I think PC is important. It's relevance as a gaming platform ebbs and flows but the beauty of it, to me, is that it's a machine you can do what you want with. It's why I'll always have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

There does seem to be WAY too much FPS and sandbox games, we need more variety!
    I'd love to see a new Command & conquer for next gen [i know a new PC game is coming]....and some shmups or arcade stuff.

Command and conquer that you can control largely using the kinect
    Id buy a console for that and that alone, would be amazing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭rob808

Command and conquer that you can control largely using the kinect
    Id buy a console for that and that alone, would be amazing
    yea better than m&kb haha

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement