Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Command and conquer that you can control largely using the kinect
    Id buy a console for that and that alone, would be amazing

you'd be exhausted with all the waving your arms around desperately moving units. Could be a fitness game.

i'd say point an click strategy game would actually be decent on the xbox with better smart glass implementation if your tablet/smart phone screen visualized your tv screen as a touch interface

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

YES!!!!
    Crackdown Hint at Xbox One Event 'Wasn't Accidental' Says Exec

A month ago at the Xbox One's debut event, Crackdown fans thought they spied a sly visual reference to the game's agility orb collectibles. They did, according to Phil Spencer, the boss of Microsoft Studios.

Spencer told IGN the inclusion (above, as originally spied by NeoGAF) was on purpose. "The homage to Crackdown in the reveal screenshots was ... I know there was some, like, 'Did we accidentally sneak that...?' It wasn't accidental. Definitely." Spencer went on to say that a franchise like Crackdown would be a natural for a console with cloud-based features such as the Xbox One. It probably also helps that Crackdown was an Xbox 360 exclusive.
    Related
    APB Closes Its Doors After Less Than Three Months

The cops and robbers game from troubled Scottish developer Realtime Worlds might set the record for the shortest-lived MMO, as All Points Bulletin… Read…

If this is a deliberate tease of Crackdown 3 or some other sequel, then who is making it? Original developer Realtime Worlds is no more, gone bankrupt after the crime MMO APB failed shortly after launch. Crackdown 2 developer Ruffian Games said back in February that it wasn't working on a sequel

http://kotaku.com/crackdown-hint-at-xbox-one-event-wasnt-accidental-sa-585690773

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I hated the term cloud computing before all this next gen talk (work in IT) and now it's almost unbearable to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Not 100% sure if the offer is still running Rob but gamestop sent out a mail a few weeks ago with an offer, trade in your xbox 360 slim with 4 games from a list and get the xbox one for €249.

I will see if I can dig it out and post it

Thats a pretty Sh*t offer if you ask me.He's better off selling it privately on DoneDeal.I Saw a 250 gb slim with fifa and 2 controllers on sale for 150 euro alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Video breakdown in the difference between the Xbox one memory and the ps4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Upd4tGqWmzA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Thats a pretty Sh*t offer if you ask me.He's better off selling it privately on DoneDeal.I Saw a 250 gb slim with fifa and 2 controllers on sale for 150 euro alone.

:confused::confused:
    The Xbox One costs €500 at launch

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Just saw some of the "cloud" stuff at the build conference, the project spark stuff looked interesting in particular, build a world on your PC, then play it on XBox and Smartglass.

As much of a marketing tool as the cloud is, if it allows more games to support home made levels, then I'll be very impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Crackdown 2 sucked, and Crackdown 1 wasn't anything to get excited over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

unless the kinect mic is really good, thats a bad move. the reason I like xbox live better than psn is because more people actually talk on it. definitley helped by the fact that a mic came in the box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

http://gamingtarget.com/article.php?artid=13235

Xbox One headset compatibility confirmed; will have adapter to use Xbox 360 headset

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Grayditch wrote: »
    That's true. I'm considering getting a decent gaming PC instead of an XB1 to accompany the PS4.

Yeah Titanfall would've been one that could have made me pick up an Xbox One sooner rather tahn later, but have a gaming PC now so will just get it on that until it launches of PS4, which I think it will maybe a year later. The last two years for Xbox exclusives have been pretty dire. There's been some good arcade games, but even the summer of arcade has taken a noticable dip in the last few years. The year I got my 360 I think was the just after the summer when Shadow Complex and Splosion Man and I think maybe Trials HD were released, then you had Super Meat Boy soon after. Could be getting my dates mixed up. Spleunky is the only arcade game in ages I've picked up and played a lot of.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭TNT2k_

NotorietyH wrote: »
    Yeah Titanfall would've been one that could have made me pick up an Xbox One sooner rather tahn later, but have a gaming PC now so will just get it on that until it launches of PS4, which I think it will maybe a year later. The last two years for Xbox exclusives have been pretty dire. There's been some good arcade games, but even the summer of arcade has taken a noticable dip in the last few years. The year I got my 360 I think was the just after the summer when Shadow Complex and Splosion Man and I think maybe Trials HD were released, then you had Super Meat Boy soon after. Could be getting my dates mixed up. Spleunky is the only arcade game in ages I've picked up and played a lot of.
    You're right, Titanfall is looking to be a timed exclusive as it's an EA IP, not Microsoft owned. The devs are looking into bringing it over to PS4, they're just waiting to see how it sells beforehand, so it could be out next year on Playstation.

I'd doubt PS3 as it's too time consuming to port it over, so PS4 would be the far easier option as it and the X1 are so similar in architecture. It'd be easy and quick to bring out on both consoles by next year.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

TNT2k_ wrote: »
    You're right, Titanfall is looking to be a timed exclusive as it's an EA IP, not Microsoft owned. The devs are looking into bringing it over to PS4, they're just waiting to see how it sells beforehand, so it could be out next year on Playstation.

I'd doubt PS3 as it's too time consuming to port it over, so PS4 would be the far easier option as it and the X1 are so similar in architecture. It'd be easy and quick to bring out on both consoles by next year.

From the article explaining the Xbox Live Cloud integration, Sony would probably need to recreate the cloud architecture for it to be ported over, and that's one thing that we haven't heard much about from them.

I find Titanfall to be an interesting use of the cloud, imagine how many AI partners you'll be able to have merely by running the game on the server.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭TNT2k_

CatInABox wrote: »
    From the article explaining the Xbox Live Cloud integration, Sony would probably need to recreate the cloud architecture for it to be ported over, and that's one thing that we haven't heard much about from them.

I find Titanfall to be an interesting use of the cloud, imagine how many AI partners you'll be able to have merely by running the game on the server.

It also runs on 360 and PC, the cloud is not needed. Marketing BS is all the cloud is.

It also runs on 360 and PC, the cloud is not needed. Marketing BS is all the cloud is.

Yes, I wasn't very clear there. So, second attempt, with the knowledge that I know the "cloud" terminology is marketing BS, and with a few questions of my own thrown in:

As every Titanfall game is running on dedicated servers, the AI for it doesn't need to be calculated by the Xbox, allowing a lot more AI partners/cannon fodder.

From what Respawn were saying, this isn't in anyway revolutionary, but they are taking advantage of the reduced price provided by Microsoft.

I can't see EA springing for that many dedicated servers themselves, which I think means that if this is to come out on the PS4, Sony will have to offer a similar set up.

This, of course, is dependant on all versions of the game running on the servers like I think it does. If the Xbox 360 version runs on a peer-to-peer system as 360 games currently do, then we could see a similar set-up used a PS4 version. Anyone heard how the 360 version is run?

I do believe that it will eventually come to PS4, I'm just wondering about the "how". I also believe that this next generation will have an immense amount of DLC with which to nickel and dime the average person, and a great case for this is EAs Sim City. It's not a game, but rather a Advertising/DLC delivery mechanism.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It really wouldn't be difficult for Sony or EA/Respawn themselves to build a similar cloud infrastructure, either using their own data centers or using a third party like Amazon (hell they could even use Microsoft's Azure cloud to do it!!).

There really isn't any magic here, it is just making use of server side processing.

All it seems MS has done here is they have built their own API's to make use of the cloud servers and maybe offering a reduced cost for using the cloud.

There is absolutely nothing stopping Sony doing the same.

However I think this is all far to overstated. I expect on PC and 360 it will continue to use old style client side servers and they could just do the same on the PS4 too and I don't expect there would be any major difference in performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

TBF to Respawn, they have specifically mentioned the benefits that the cloud gives which is dedicated servers. This isn't a new thing in gaming but I imagine for Respawn, it saves them a lot of money that they don't have to fund does servers.

So really.. the "cloud" benefits the developer as much, if not more so than the gamer.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

tok9 wrote: »

So really.. the "cloud" benefits the developer as much, if not more so than the gamer.

Considering MS want to charge $10,000 to patch games, I doubt this benefit is going to be free from any charge to the developer.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jimbob_jones

Considering MS want to charge $10,000 to patch games, I doubt this benefit is going to be free from any charge to the developer.

Well not anymore according to Eurogamer,net

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-26-microsoft-no-longer-charges-developers-to-patch-their-xbox-360-games

Don't know if they carry this on with the XBox One

• Advertisement

tok9 wrote: »
    TBF to Respawn, they have specifically mentioned the benefits that the cloud gives which is dedicated servers. This isn't a new thing in gaming but I imagine for Respawn, it saves them a lot of money that they don't have to fund does servers.

Titanfall is published by EA, EA have provided dedicated servers for most if not all of their multiplayer games. They wouldn't have any problems providing them themselves.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/06/26/sony-sacrificed-the-playstation-4-camera-to-beat-microsoft-on-price

I wonder if this now means a double blow. since most games are cross platform, only one console having the camera means the developers wont be overly inclined to incorporate features that use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Grand! I don't like using cameras and motion for gaming, bar the odd sports game. I really don't want it to creep into stuff like Assasin's Creed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/06/26/sony-sacrificed-the-playstation-4-camera-to-beat-microsoft-on-price

I wonder if this now means a double blow. since most games are cross platform, only one console having the camera means the developers wont be overly inclined to incorporate features that use it.
    In some cases, sure. Though if a game gets released on both consoles with no kinect features we'd never know. If you look to Mass Effect 3 and Skyrim, though, they brought in voice features and this was despite the fact that not everyone with a 360 has kinect.

It being with all One consoles just made it more of a motivation. Though, yeah, in some cases it'll be just not followed up on because both systems don't have it, and in some it may result in not as much work going in to it as if it would play a part in both systems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Thats on the 360. No information about whether its on the Xbox One.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,908 ✭✭✭✭briany

Grayditch wrote: »
    Grand! I don't like using cameras and motion for gaming, bar the odd sports game. I really don't want it to creep into stuff like Assasin's Creed.

I find motion controlled games to be something of a fad. Not the kind of fad that'll die out completely - like the mullet - but still one that is unnecessary in many cases - again, like the mullet. I object to the games industry telling us to move more. :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

This could be the big one: Microsoft teases Windows 8 apps on Xbox One, says devs get a 'head start' by building now.

If they do this properly, and it's open for anyone to build apps and deploy them to the marketplace, like you an now with Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8, this could be the biggest thing in consoles in a long time.

I don't know why Microsoft are keeping this so quiet, it would make the Xbox One an insta-buy for me. I've been expecting them to announce this for ages, and lost hope when there wasn't a big session on it at Build, so I'm a little sceptical now that they're only teasing it, but if they go all in on this it could be huge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

stevenmu wrote: »
    This could be the big one: Microsoft teases Windows 8 apps on Xbox One, says devs get a 'head start' by building now.

If they do this properly, and it's open for anyone to build apps and deploy them to the marketplace, like you an now with Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8, this could be the biggest thing in consoles in a long time.

I don't know why Microsoft are keeping this so quiet, it would make the Xbox One an insta-buy for me. I've been expecting them to announce this for ages, and lost hope when there wasn't a big session on it at Build, so I'm a little sceptical now that they're only teasing it, but if they go all in on this it could be huge.

probably because they dont know if it will work yet
    if they announce it, say it works, then it comes to launch day and it doesnt work their would be uproar :pac: last thing microsoft need is more bad rep

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement