Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

bk wrote: »
    Yes, I'm very serious, watch the interview, it really is very convincing.

MS's execs are blathering on saying that their console will be 4 times more powerful due to the power of the cloud and BS like that.

The PS4 exec doesn't even say that the PS4 will be more powerful, he just confidently answers the question by saying just compare the mutliplatform games when they come out.

That is a far more honest and convincing answer then the marketing BS and spin we heard coming from the MS execs.

Also I notice that you ignored my comments about the more powerful GPU and why it will benefit multiplatform games even from the start, just as it does on PC.

Can I please ask why you have over 30 posts in the last few days saying the Xbone is inferior to the PS4 if its not an effort to troll?
    Who cares, go buy a PS4 and revel in its amazingness.
    Why are you trying to convince a subforum of xbox fans that a console that has never been tested or benchmarked is inferior to another console that has never been tested or benchmarked ?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Also I notice that you ignored my comments about the more powerful GPU and why it will benefit multiplatform games even from the start, just as it does on PC.

I didn't actually. I answered it replying to someone else above, but did so again just now right before I said I think we should all wait and see some real results before drawing our most desirable conclusions.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Underpaid Mike, did you read the comments below this article.

It turns out that this is actually MS PR trying to spin some very bad news.

The bad news is that due to issues with manufacturing yields, they are going to have to downgrade the eSRAM speed by 50Hz from 800Hz to 750Hz.

750 (freq) * 128 (bytes/clock) = 96 GB/s
    96 GB/s * 2 (simultaneous read/write) = 192 GB/s

But the thing is that in the real world it isn't actually possible to do simultaneous read/writes with this sort of memory, nor is it actually what you would want to do in games (you mostly just want to write).

Underpaid Mike, did you read the comments below this article.

It turns out that this is actually MS PR trying to spin some very bad news.

The bad news is that due to issues with manufacturing yields, they are going to have to downgrade the eSRAM speed by 50Hz from 800Hz to 750Hz.

But the thing is that in the real world it isn't actually possible to do simultaneous read/writes with this sort of memory, nor is it actually what you would want to do in games (you mostly just want to write).

Considering no one has a clue what the implications of eSRAM are let alone what its clockspeed are how about waiting a month or two when the console can be benchmarked before repeatedly criticizing it?

Qf7LhQT.png

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well as an engineer (software) myself, I find it extremely dubious that the engineers suddenly "found" 88% more performance over night.

The numbers only add up if there is a 50Hz drop in the speed of the eSram, which is a rumour that has been swirling around over on neogaf for a few days. That MS have hit production and yield issues with the eSRAM.

• Advertisement

Well as an engineer (software) myself, I find it extremely dubious that the engineers suddenly "found" 88% more performance over night.

The numbers only add up if there is a 50Hz drop in the speed of the eSram, which is a rumour that has been swirling around over on neogaf for a few days. That MS have hit production and yield issues with the eSRAM.

The numbers add up? Can you please explain to me how the numbers add up exactly. I have read a 36 page thread of over 540 posts on neogaf on this single issue this morning and those "enlighted" few cant come to a consensus because there isnt enough information

The 88% more speed is the dubious figure and not the clock speed. Simultaneous speed and dedicated speeds are different is what the article suggests.

The 88% more speed is the dubious figure and not the clock speed. Simultaneous speed and dedicated speeds are different is what the article suggests.

The previous number of 102 GB/s was based on:

800 (freq) * 128 (bytes/clock) = 102 GB/s

An 88% increase in performance would give you:

102 GB/s + 88% = 192 GB/s

But how did they come to this 88% increase figure:

So basically the clock speed has been dropped by 50Hz and MS PR (or simply the article author who misunderstood the numbers) are spinning this by saying the bandwidth has increased by doubling the figure to take into account both read and writes.

Such calculations are very simple for memory, that is why it is so ridiculous that they some how accidentally "found" more performance. That just isn't believable at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,123 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

TNT2k_ wrote: »
    More people stream Netflix content to their televisions via PS3 than any other device worldwide

I wouldn't call them key features, but sky go is a great feature none the less. Youtube is already on the PS3 in app form even and it's great for streaming your phone videos on the big screen.

Sky go is on so many devices now, I'd imagine it won't be long before the apps sees itself on the PS4 eventually too. I see no reason why it wouldn't.

Lack of Sky Go is the single reason why I wouldn't get a PS4. I'm turning into more of a casual myself and I use the 360 to watch Sky Go far more than I do to play games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Lack of Sky Go is the single reason why I wouldn't get a PS4. I'm turning into more of a casual myself and I use the 360 to watch Sky Go far more than I do to play games.

Then buy an Ouya.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Not trolling, but reading this thread is hilarious at times, a lot xbox fans get so defensive when anything disparaging is mentioned about the console, none of these petty squabbles are happening in the PS4 thread and the discussions are far more constructive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I must be missing a trick with Sky/Sky Go. Is it just for Sports people are getting it?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jimbob_jones

Grayditch wrote: »
    I must be missing a trick with Sky/Sky Go. Is it just for Sports people are getting it?

Well it's more than that, what you see in SkyGo depends on the sky subscription you are logged in with.

My sis has the sports and movies package, when she logs into Sky Go she can watch on-demand and live movies and sport amongst other shows etc...

I'll have to look into the movie list and if the sports package is worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Well it's more than that, what you see in SkyGo depends on the sky subscription you are logged in with.

My sis has the sports and movies package, when she logs into Sky Go she can watch on-demand and live movies and sport amongst other shows etc...

Same here. We have the sky box downstairs, Xbox is upstairs . So in the evening I can watch some channels . Handy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

All the posts about console stats are giving me a headache. Saying the PS4 is more powerful because of % this and % that when no one has been given a chance to test the PS4 or even see its internals is ridiculous.

Paper stats mean nothing. When you watch Top Gear do you see them coming to a consensus about 2 sports cars by reading a few stats on paper, no! they take 2 cars out onto a track and drive the **** outa them, they evaluate based on performance.

True performance is measured by results. When the Xbone and PS4 are tested side by side then that is a time to consider the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Grayditch wrote: »
    I'll have to look into the movie list and if the sports package is worth it.

My xbox gets used for this more than anything. Its really annoying that its not on PS

Can't you just use the browser on the PS3 to go on the SkyGo website?
    I know the browser allows streaming from a lot of sites I go on but I never tried SkyGo because I don't think its worth paying for.

Can you not just use your laptop to do it and stick a HDMI cable into your TV from it like normal people, plus if you have picture in picture you can watch a match and play a game at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Xenji wrote: »
    Not trolling, but reading this thread is hilarious at times, a lot xbox fans get so defensive when anything disparaging is mentioned about the console, none of these petty squabbles are happening in the PS4 thread and the discussions are far more constructive.
    One could also point out that wading into a thread making erroneous and uninformed claims regarding unreleased hardware performance is equally non-constructive.

Can you not just use your laptop to do it and stick a HDMI cable into your TV from it like normal people, plus if you have picture in picture you can watch a match and play a game at the same time.

Yea cool, I'll buy a 400 quid PS4 and a 600 quid laptop so I can do what a 500 quid Xbox One can do with no remote control, extra cabling or additional configuration whatsoever, yea.

• Advertisement

Yea cool, I'll buy a 400 quid PS4 and a 600 quid laptop so I can do what a 500 quid Xbox One can do with no remote control, extra cabling or additional configuration whatsoever, yea.

PS4 and Ouya, same price as an X1. PS4 delivers the best gaming, Ouya will deliver the best multimedia and some fun Android games and indie games.
    If you want to go even cheaper, buy a Rasberry Pi.

PS4 and Ouya, same price as an X1. PS4 delivers the best gaming, Ouya will deliver the best multimedia and some fun Android games and indie games.
    If you want to go even cheaper, buy a Rasberry Pi.

Cos that has everything to do with his suggestion of needing a laptop. It also leaves you needing extra cabling, yet another unit under the TV (given the complaints about the external power brick of the X1 this is not open for discussion for many) and yet more remotes and batteries.

Oh, and no kinect voice and gesture commands.

Cos that has everything to do with his suggestion of needing a laptop. It also leaves you needing extra cabling, yet another unit under the TV (given the complaints about the external power brick of the X1 this is not open for discussion for many) and yet more remotes and batteries.

Oh, and no kinect voice and gesture commands.

Just a suggestion, you're far too defensive about all this stuff.
    I just don't think the Xbox should be gotten for any multimedia reasons when there are far better multimedia devices out there.

Yeah its such a pain having all that extra configuration and one cable.....must so be tough for some just putting one end of a wire in one slot and the other end in the other slot and hitting the source button on their tv's remote control.

The answer to the riddle is that there aren't people over there hell-bent on posting detailed specs and offering up speculative opinions about the features of the X1.

I bet there aren't any people posting about the APIs and runtime suites provided by MS to developers, talking about the president of Xbox Entertainment or discussing in detail the games developed by 343 Industries or Epic Games.

Read through it again, my issues from the beginning in this thread have been about calling people out on speculation, assumption and speaking opinion as fact.

Yeah its such a pain having all that extra configuration and one cable.....must so be tough for some just putting one end of a wire in one slot and the other end in the other slot and hitting the source button on their tv's remote control.

Compared to shouting "Xbox - TV" and feeling like I'm on the bridge of the enterprise yes it is.

Also you failed to acknowledge the price of the laptop. Bit rich to assume everyone has a spare laptop to leave connected to the TV. If you don't leave yours connected then you've to go as far to get up off the couch to get the thing. By the time you're good to go I'm halfway through the first half of a premiership match on Sky Go.

So much rattiness on this thread, lads!

Compared to shouting "Xbox - TV" and feeling like I'm on the bridge of the enterprise yes it is.

Also you failed to acknowledge the price of the laptop. Bit rich to assume everyone has a spare laptop to leave connected to the TV. If you don't leave yours connected then you've to go as far to get up off the couch to get the thing. By the time you're good to go I'm halfway through the first half of a premiership match on Sky Go.

I just hook it up when I wanna watch a match and then put it away when I am done, I do not use it for anything else really, while the match it on I can always use my tablet if needed for any browsing. I know not everyone has a laptop or a spare one at that, but it would not be a deal killer for me that the PS4 could not do that, as I have a alternative way to do it, thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭TNT2k_

I just don't think the Xbox should be gotten for any multimedia reasons when there are far better multimedia devices out there.

That's it. My iPad became a far better alternative for multimedia, streaming and apps than the PS3 or 360 ever could be, that won't change. Tablets, smartphones and laptops will always be a step ahead of consoles when it comes to apps and multimedia so it's not a strong selling point to make. You buy for the games and those extra capabilities are an extra on the side.

• Advertisement

I just hook it up when I wanna watch a match and then put it away when I am done, I do not use it for anything else really, while the match it on I can always use my tablet if needed for any browsing. I know not everyone has a laptop or a spare one at that, but it would not be a deal killer for me that the PS4 could not do that, as I have a alternative way to do it, thats all.

Right. That was exactly my point. Not everyone has a laptop. So the X1 in that instance would be a fantastic purchase for a gaming premiership fan such as myself.

Here's a suggestion: look up the meaning of suggestion.

I'm not defensive about the X1, I'm offensive about speculation and opinions-as-fact of which there is far to much coming from the Sony side of the debate in here.

I'd just like to say I welcome PS4 discussion in here and I'm not a member of "go back to your PS4 thread" brigade. Just rather the information posted was factual and based on real-world testing, of which there is none at present. In truth nobody really knows shít about how either console will perform and make the most of its features. Comparing them in the detail some have gone to here today is premature and misguided.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement