Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

That just says they don't plan to sell Xbox Ones with Sky Subs, nothing about the availability of Sky on Xbox One

Meesared wrote: »
    That just says they don't plan to sell Xbox Ones with Sky Subs, nothing about the availability of Sky on Xbox One

My bad, I assumed the post above was about said deal with Sky that was rumoured a few weeks ago.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Which brings up the question, if you have services like the Time Warner service that brings 300 channels to your console via IPTV (and Apple TV, iPad, etc.) then why would you need to interact with set tops boxes via HDMI and incredibly unreliable IR Blasters?

The whole HDMI in thing seems like a feature that might have been popular 5 years ago, but seems very old fashioned in a world quickly moving to IPTV and VoD services like Netflix, TWC, Sky Go, RTE Player, BBC iPlayer, etc.

This comic strip sums up for me what most young people think of TV today:
    http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=318

For me the future (and really my own current reality) is I watch what I want, when I want it, where I want it.

The future is Video On Demand, where I can start watching my favourite show on my iPad on the way from work and then finish it on my X1/PS4/Apple TV when I get home.
    Meesared wrote: »

I fully expect Sky Go will be on X1, but I also expect it will also be on the PS4, just like Sky's other VoD service nowtv is on both 360 and PS3.

BTW a redesign of the Sky Go service is due in the next few weeks, at least on PC/Mc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Pushtrak wrote: »

regarding the rep system
    i cant see it working
    the current one doesnt work
    im at
    11%trash talk
    2% language
    2%aggressive
    44%upsporting
    19%quid early

i never talk in game, always in party to friends so thats no to trash talking and language

aggressive? dont talk on mic in games
    upsporting? its upsporting to win a game now apparently haha cause its the only thing i can see me getting reported for
    quit early, fair enough i quit when i have to

but the rep system is messed up, people sometimes report people because they lost, or because the other guy is too good
    its hardly a fair system :) thank **** it dont mean nothing at the moment :L

oh btw 2% preferred me ;):pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

One day of scoring with Messi in Fifa would have you in the red on unsporting ;)

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    regarding the rep system
    i cant see it working
    Yeah, I'm going to want to see it working too. It will work on a system where if lots of people mute/block you it will lower your rep. But I don't know how many messages I've gotten off people "report gamertag ______________ because of reasons" where they say something to justify why lots of people who don't know someone should report them.

My rep is 86% preferred, with
    Language 16%
    Aggressive 8%
    Unsporting 41%
    Quit Early 16%

I'm typically in party chat, or not saying anything. Unsporting? Huh? As for quit early, that might be disconnects. I don't quit early. When playing Gears online for instance, I'd never quit even if I was left on my own on one team.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,280 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I never saw somebody with less than 5 star Rep on Live until I started playing Dark Souls :D

I saw it posted elsewhere that if somebody gets positive or negative rep, the rep goes up. It nearly must be that way with how many 5 stars there are.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Nice one. We can pretty much make them do whatever the fuck we want at this stage if we give out enough.

Next up, scrap that heap of shit kinect!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

1ZRed wrote: »
    Nice one. We can pretty much make them do whatever the fuck we want at this stage if we give out enough.

Kinect, the price, and the name are likely untouchable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

well that has made my day :)
    gives me a mic too use while i wait for an adaptor for my turtle beachs :D

Varik wrote: »

Ugh I'm out. Nothing's worth that if I'm not even going to use it and end up paying more for a weaker system overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Varik wrote: »
    Hmm. It seems that Sony is including it's AR game "Playroom" with each PS4 (http://www.joystiq.com/2013/07/03/ps4s-ar-games-collection-the-playroom-bundled-with-console/)

Why would they do that if there's no camera in the box? Oh, it because they want everyone to have a PS4 Camera, but they left it out of the box to undercut Microsoft by $100 and now it'll be left in a wasteland with the hope that enough people will buy it and developers will just port their Kinect additions into their PS4 versions of multiplatform games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Hmm. It seems that Sony is including it's AR game "Playroom" with each PS4 (http://www.joystiq.com/2013/07/03/ps4s-ar-games-collection-the-playroom-bundled-with-console/)

Why would they do that if there's no camera in the box? Oh, it because they want everyone to have a PS4 Camera, but they left it out of the box to undercut Microsoft by $100 and now it'll be left in a wasteland with the hope that enough people will buy it and developers will just port their Kinect additions into their PS4 versions of multiplatform games.

Is this meant to be a bad thing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Next on Microsoft.....no Kinect, episode 4 features a $100 price cut!

:P

The headset inclusion is a BIG + imo...it adds to the feel of value for your extra €$100....Microsft gets a gold star, but Jonny needs to do more!

Neogaf and Reddit are tryna take credit for these 1-80's......

• Advertisement

And looks like the headset being bundled was a false rumour:

https://twitter.com/OXMUK/statuses/352776611197759490

@Above, I think you need to give those two sites some credit. They are the biggest gaming sites with the loudest voices, and it was Neogaf who started the #NoPS4DRM thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Personally, I don't get the hate for Kinect. (Just my opinion). I find it is a useful addition that I use sometimes, and for those times it's handy to be there.

Really, if people are worried about MS Spying on them they should read the existing Terms of Use for Xbox Live. Section 11 would be fairly enlightening, since that's even before the Mandatory Kinect thing (which can be switched off.)

I think Sony are just hedging their bets (and letting Microsoft take the flak) for the camera thing. If Kinect additions are as popular for games (such as how Dead Rising is going to use it) that actually improved immersiveness in Xbox games and people pick up on that, then they may hope that Devs and customers bother their barney to pick one up.

Also, many outlets are now reporting that a PS4 bundle with the Eye included (http://www.officialplaystationmagazine.co.uk/2013/06/27/ps4-bundle-including-knack-playstation-eye-to-be-revealed/).

So, Sony could end up with a fragmented customer base (a la Pro / Arcade Xbox 360's or after Kinect launched). Dev's can't rely on the hardware being there, so will they bother? Should the PS4 Eye just have been scrapped - but then why did they make a hoopla about it at the February event? Why include the software on every PS4, when not everyone will eventually use it?

You talk as if kinect is useful. It's a gimmick. Try playing a game like battlefield with kinect and you'll find there'll be no practical use for it.

So the thing is if you only use it once in a blue moon for the odd thing then why would you be willing to pay an extra €100 for it? Some would justify it, I wouldn't it at all and it'd be a waste.

The way Sony does it seems fairer. They pre-load the app, move is built into the controller, but it's your choice to buy the camera if you want it, so if you don't like it you don't have to pay for something that you won't use.

Motion controls are all gimmicky, fragmented or not, they've had enough time to show their use and they still haven't. They're just not needed.

Kinect was actually kinda fun with the voice commands in Mass Effect 3. I'll be interested to see what is done with it with the next xbox. Right now, we know that developers like Swery and Kojima who have seen more of the new kinect are interested in it and plan to support it. It seems obvious developers will be looking to do more with it. I'm willing to see what will be done, and will take developers who will have seen more of the new kinect than us, and know better about games development than some people on a forum. Did ye know that the wii control scheme had been planned initially as something to release on the gamecube? They decided to hold off and use it in the next console. They have experience of releasing an add on during a console life cycle and low adoption rates relative to the console install. Releasing the kinect with the 360 to me always seemed like a beta test.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭craze7

You talk as if kinect is useful. It's a gimmick.

I'm sure people said the same thing about the first touch screen phones!

My take on kinect, specifically the new Kinect is that I can only imagine developers love to try develop new concepts and games. This technology give them that opportunity and target market. So I'm all for it!

craze7 wrote: »
    I'm sure people said the same thing about the first touch screen phones!

My take on kinect, specifically the new Kinect is that I can only imagine developers love to try develop new concepts and games. This technology give them that opportunity and target market. So I'm all for it!
    It's more like the Wii. That was supposed to be the future of controls but look at it now, it's not the standard for any of the consoles anymore, not even the Wii U.

I'm not going to wave my arms around while playing a game, or shout at my tv. I just want use the controller with no fuss. I think that's the biggest reason people don't have time for motion controls in proper games.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Kinect was actually kinda fun with the voice commands in Mass Effect 3.

You don't need Kinect or PS Camera for voice commands. Remember, the PS4 comes with a headset with microphone as standard, so voice commands are definitely doable on the PS4 too.

Actually I think that is the optimal solution.

Kinect (the motion side) is only useful for dance and exercise type games, not for your normal games. Voice commands can be useful in all games (e.g. command other non player characters, access inventory, etc.), but you don't need Kinnect to do that, the PS4 gives you the same ability for voice commands, without the need for a €100 accessory that is only useful for dance and exercise games.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,906 ✭✭✭✭briany

It's more like the Wii. That was supposed to be the future of controls but look at it now, it's not the standard for any of the consoles anymore, not even the Wii U.

I'm not going to wave my arms around while playing a game, or shout at my tv. I just want use the controller with no fuss. I think that's the biggest reason people don't have time for motion controls in proper games.

Most gamers want to sit down, relax and play a game. It's insecurity on the part of the hardware and software developers trying to innovate that we have to deal with stuff like motion control where it's not needed.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

The big seller for me with kinect is not having to wear a headset. Reminds me of my call center days. Shudder.

I'm also intrigued as to what features devs come up with since they always had to keep kinect functionality superficial to avoid upsetting or alienating the non-kinect majority. With everyone having one they don't have to hold back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Ye all still crying over kinect...

Its not meant for battlefield or shooter games, family games and exercise games are great, just because the majority of boards don't use it doesn't mean its not worth it. I was pretty much the first one to get kinect in our relations circle. After that everyone else got it, cause it was cool and different. It brought simple and easy to use games to mommy's and daddy's who wouldn't have a clue about battlefield.

Regardless weather its use full or not. Once its there and everyone has one. Developers will be able to make use of it more as they will know that everyone will utilise it.

I use it for voice commands mainly. Handy to launch a movie or a game without touching the controller. The controller always sleeps after a while, voice control doesn't .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement