Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Watched that preview gameplay vid of Destiny. Looks great but it looks like Halo all over again. Enemies look like the forerunners, the thing giving him light was Guilty Spark, the pulse rifle was the pulse rifle and the overpowered zooming pistol was the overpowered zooming pistol.

That tank thing had remarkable similarities to a scarab too.

Bungie written all over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Ye all still crying over kinect...

Its not meant for battlefield or shooter games, family games and exercise games are great, just because the majority of boards don't use it doesn't mean its not worth it. I was pretty much the first one to get kinect in our relations circle. After that everyone else got it, cause it was cool and different. It brought simple and easy to use games to mommy's and daddy's who wouldn't have a clue about battlefield.

Regardless weather its use full or not. Once its there and everyone has one. Developers will be able to make use of it more as they will know that everyone will utilise it.

I use it for voice commands mainly. Handy to launch a movie or a game without touching the controller. The controller always sleeps after a while, voice control doesn't .
    I know of a good exercise game, it's called the gym. Nothing else comes close to actual exercise, it's fooling the same people who got Wii fit.

I'm going to be starting college so I have limited money, and if you say kinect is all for the "mommy's and daddy's" and not proper games like battlefield, then why would I ever want one? Pay an extra €100 for features like launching a movie with a voice command because I was too lazy to get the controller? No thanks.

It just looks like MS want to make another Wii, and that was a disaster of a console. If that's their angle, good luck to them attracting people who just want a good games console and not another console built on gimmicks.
    It'd be different if they were both the same price and you could overlook it, but that's not the case.

1ZRed wrote: »
    I know of a good exercise game, it's called the gym. Nothing else comes close to actual exercise, it's fooling the same people who got Wii fit.

Nothing else comes close to the price of a gym either. Far better just getting your trainers on and doing a Forrest Gump.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Far better just getting your trainers on and doing a Forrest Gump.

Gym vs just running, in the long run I think the gym would be the better option :pac:

wait, what forum is this? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

1ZRed wrote: »
    It just looks like MS want to make another Wii, and that was a disaster of a console.

Not if you ask Nintendo's bank manager, and they made a profit on each one sold (not just later in the console lifecycle as with other console manufacturers). I'm sure that might have some sway on Microsoft's market direction.

That said, there are some great possibilities in the level of detail that the new Kinect can (apparently) give during a game - heart rate, if you're paying attention, stressed, scared, etc. This in addition to using sound, voice and other factors into a game. It could really pay off.

If you look at Valve, Gabe Newell was talking about biometric feedback in controllers and what that could do in a game like Left 4 Dead (you can ratchet up the scariness or the tension if the user was gripping the controller tighter or was sweating).
    Biometrics on the other hand is essentially adding more communication bandwidth between the game and the person playing it, especially in ways the player isn’t necessarily conscious of. Biometrics gives us more visibility. Also, gaze tracking. We think gaze tracking is going to turn out to be super important.

Valve generally get a pass on things like this because Steam works very well (now) and because they generally make good games (they should be good, it takes them long enough :))

Well, the new Kinect seems to be able to give similar feedback without needing to have it built-in to the controller - and the only way to do 'gaze tracking' is with a camera, such as Kinect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Not if you ask Nintendo's bank manager, and they made a profit on each one sold (not just later in the console lifecycle as with other console manufacturers).

I thought that the console was sold at a loss, a slight loss, but that as soon as someone bought a game for that console, that it would then be profitable. I may be wrong but I thought that was how the Wii was sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

I thought that the console was sold at a loss, a slight loss, but that as soon as someone bought a game for that console, that it would then be profitable. I may be wrong but I thought that was how the Wii was sold.

is that not how all consoles are sold
    at a slight loss, but getting games for them and using the consoles services such as MSP or Sony pp cards
    they get profit back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

That's the Wii U. Every other Ninty system to date has sold at a profit. The Gamecube was actually quite profitable for Nintendo, as a for instance. Nintendo don't have other aspects to their business to absorb losses. They have to go profitable with their consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Pushtrak wrote: »
    That's the Wii U. Every other Ninty system to date has sold at a profit. The Gamecube was actually quite profitable for Nintendo, as a for instance. Nintendo don't have other aspects to their business to absorb losses. They have to go profitable with their consoles.

Oh, sorry. My mistake.

PS3 was sold at a pretty huge loss when first launched, estimates ranged between $200-300 hit sony took on each console sold, took em a lot more than a couple of games to make back on that one. 360 was initially around $100 over retail price but became profitable after 12 months. Nintendo reportedly made a profit of $5 on every wii sold from launch, which of course increased at component prices decreased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

PS3 was sold at a pretty huge loss when first launched, estimates ranged between $200-300 hit sony took on each console sold, took em a lot more than a couple of games to make back on that one..

And that is exactly why those who will be buying the PS4 will be reaping the rewards from the hard lessons SONY learnt with the PS3.

M$ are going through the 3rd Console Curse and hopefully can pull through for the sake of competition. It will do no gamer any good having SONY dominating sales!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 II Man City II

Hey, Guys
    I am sorry if there happens to be another thread regarding this, and also please try to be as less bias as possible against ps or xbox, I decided to post in here since I noticed this forum gets more posts :)
    So I am saving up for one of these and I am currently a Xbox 360 user, nevertheless I a have to say I enjoy it, but when I heard about the price for xbox one being 100E higher as well as having to be friends with people or some sort in order to get used games I felt as if I should just get the ps 4
    If I were to get a ps 4 I could afford to get all those games from gamestop etc. in used
    I am not that techincal guy so if anyone could care to explain what each console features and which one is better in it's owns ways.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

What does that have to do with Xbox One? :confused:

So I am saving up for one of these and I am currently a Xbox 360 user, nevertheless I a have to say I enjoy it, but when I heard about the price for xbox one being 100E higher as well as having to be friends with people or some sort in order to get used games I felt as if I should just get the ps 4
    The One is 100 euro more expensive, but there is no restriction on used games, and no online stuff. They went back on that stuff as no one wanted it, obviously. (Edit: Ok, not no one, but the majority didn't want it.)
    I am not that techincal guy so if anyone could care to explain what each console features and which one is better in it's owns ways.
    Thanks
    The technical side shouldn't be your main focus. You should go where the games are good. Right now, that doesn't point to PS4 or One to me, but either one. The good games by my reckoning are multiplatform. Take a look at games that are coming out on both systems, though if you want my honest opinion, don't buy either at launch. Unless you see games that really make you want to buy one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 II Man City II

One more thing say if I DO HAPPEN TO BUY NEITHER
    Will I still be able to buy xbox 360 games in 1 or 2 years or will they just die out like ps 2

Both MS and Sony have said they'll keep supporting their systems for some more years yet. We'll have to see how it plays out.

Anyway, in terms of next gen, take a look at these:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-12-a-list-of-every-confirmed-xbox-one-game
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-12-a-list-of-every-confirmed-playstation-4-game

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭TNT2k_

ShaneU wrote: »

Microsoft had policies in place that would mean a developer would have to pay $10,000 to patch a game, and that particular dev couldn't afford it so it was never patched. MS have since gone back on their policies, so now it doesn't require a developer to pay such a high amount to patch their game.

ShaneU wrote: »

This would have indie devs questioning supporting the Xbone when M$ are not supporting them!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

jaffusmax wrote: »
    This would have indie devs questioning supporting the Xbone when M$ are not supporting them!

Indies can't self publish on Xbox one in the first place so I don't see what removing patch fees is going to do.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

To add to that, MS have yet to comment on whether there will be patch fees involved for the X1, in their release they specified that the x360 would shake the patch fee (but then again the X1 is not currently available so it's omission isn't entirely strange, but also MS' constant lack of clarity is doing them no favours)

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭craze7

The game has been broken for over a year and all he kept doing was crying about how much the patch cost to submit. It turns out he hadn't even made it!

That Phil lad is a whinge bag.

craze7 wrote: »
    The game has been broken for over a year and all he kept doing was crying about how much the patch cost to submit. It turns out he hadn't even made it!

That Phil lad is a whinge bag.

why would he have made a patch knowing it would have cost $10,000 to submit...You don't put work in when you KNOW there's a massive, non-negotiable roadblock in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

why would he have made a patch knowing it would have cost $10,000 to submit...You don't put work in when you KNOW there's a massive, non-negotiable roadblock in the way.

Because people paid him for a broken game that he was responsible for?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Microsoft made a bags of the launch leaving him seriously out of pocket. As if he's going to fork out 10k to them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Oh god, it gets even better!!

Microsoft: Xbox One advertising will integrate with Kinect

So the Kinect will sit there constantly watching you and feeding the info to advertisers!!

It will know your sex, age and maybe even your wealth level from your clothes. It will be able to tell if you are watching the ads or not. It will be even be able to tell if you like the ad or not from it's ability to register your facial expressions and heart rate.

It will try to get you to interact with the ads by making you have to make certain stupid hand movements or talk to them!

Add to this the patent MS got for kinect on it's ability to monitor the number of people in the room, watching a streamed video and charge you more, if extra people are watching!

Yuck, you know MS really need to realise that the book 1984 wasn't an instructional manual. This device really is the thing of nightmares, the most customer unfriendly, abusive and privacy invading piece of technology I've ever seen.

Now I will not only not buy a X1, I won't even want to be in the same room as one!

bk I have never seen someone post so much speculation as fact. You're continually posting nothing but hyperbole and exaggerated opinions as if it's all written in stone. Read your own link you provided:
    Responding to concerns that the Kinect might be able to give advertisers too much information about user actions, an Xbox Live advertising developer told StickTwiddlers that the ad team doesn't have access to as much granular Kinect data as game developers do. “There’s the game producers who have a different API, so a different set of code and system that they use, and they’ve got a lot more control of the whole thing,” he said, “whereas, from the advertising point of view, we have a slightly more limited set, which is designed to protect the user. The company is very keen on protecting the user from any sort of abuse, so we can’t do certain things.”

Can you even back up your claims of additional streaming costs? Or that it will tell how wealthy you are from your clothes (utterly ridiculous notion tbh)?

You seem utterly obsessed with this console for someone who clearly isn't remotely interested in buying one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Grayditch wrote: »
    Microsoft made a bags of the launch leaving him seriously out of pocket. As if he's going to fork out 10k to them.

So because MS screwed him over, he screws his customers over? That's good business practice alright.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Can you even back up your claims of additional streaming costs?

http://kotaku.com/5958307/this-kinect-patent-is-terrifying-wants-to-charge-you-for-license-violation

BTW This generation I owned all three consoles including the Xbox 360 and thoroughly enjoyed it. I've been gaming since I had a wooden pong console from Atari and I've owned almost every console since then. I was once a fanboy, but that was back in the Sega v Nintendo days.

But what MS are doing with the X1 sickens me, it is so completely anti-gamer and privacy invading, I can't understand how any gamer could support their actions.

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »
    http://kotaku.com/5958307/this-kinect-patent-is-terrifying-wants-to-charge-you-for-license-violation

BTW This generation I owned all three consoles including the Xbox 360 and thoroughly enjoyed it. I've been gaming since I had a wooden pong console from Atari and I've owned almost every console since then. I was once a fanboy, but that was back in the Sega v Nintendo days.

But what MS are doing with the X1 sickens me, it is so completely anti-gamer and privacy invading, I can't understand how any gamer could support their actions.

I would be similar thinking to yourself. I have been gaming since the Atari and I have to say MS have really taken the innocence out of gaming for me by sticking a $ Sign on everything that may generate an income at the expensive of providing "Fun" for gamers at a reasonable price
    I like most "mature" gamers have no die hard allegiance to a specific console but you have to call a spade a spade and MS are Marketing our Hobby to death!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement