Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

It's still speculation. It could easily be a mechanism to stop public performances to the point there are 20/30/50 people in a room. Kokatu are speculating as to the pitfalls of such a patent like any paranoid article could and should.

Honestly there's a much bigger threat to personal privacy sitting in your pocket since I presume someone as into tech as you has a smartphone. Not wanting the X1 for privacy reasons while owning a smartphone whose terms and conditions include being able to (without permission or user input) make calls, record video, record audio, access any info stored on the SD card, read your contacts list, track your every movement via cell registration and GPS and record keystrokes is a little too selective.

If you don't have a smartphone then fair enough, but plenty of people do and plenty of people ignore the ignore the risks to privacy associated with it.

I'm not agreeing with these invasions of privacy but there's a strong case for "Don't hate the player, hate the game".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

bk wrote: »
    http://kotaku.com/5958307/this-kinect-patent-is-terrifying-wants-to-charge-you-for-license-violation

BTW This generation I owned all three consoles including the Xbox 360 and thoroughly enjoyed it. I've been gaming since I had a wooden pong console from Atari and I've owned almost every console since then. I was once a fanboy, but that was back in the Sega v Nintendo days.

But what MS are doing with the X1 sickens me, it is so completely anti-gamer and privacy invading, I can't understand how any gamer could support their actions.

It's only a patent. Most large tech companies encourage their staff to patent anything and everything (and usually have some financial reward for doing so). It doesn't mean the company has any interest in doing anything with the patent.
    And there wouldn't be much point in implementing this particular idea, since all the user has to do to circumvent it, is turn the kinect off.
    I'm not a big fan of what MS are doing with the X1, but all this scaremongering is ridiculous.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

mcgovern wrote: »
    So because MS screwed him over, he screws his customers over? That's good business practice alright.

Maybe he should have picked that 10K off his money tree :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

MOD: Please do not refer to microsoft as "m$", especially if you are clearly a PS3 owner and not an Xbox360 owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

So because MS screwed him over, he screws his customers over? That's good business practice alright.

He's a megarich corporation, that chap. You're dead right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Grayditch wrote: »
    He's a megarich corporation, that chap. You're dead right.

So if I was selling, lets say, handmade tables, and Tesco didn't give me the level of advertising/promotion they said they would, it would be ok for me to tell my customers that I wasn't going to refund them or fix their product because I couldn't afford it (as I'd only sold 200k tables)? Even then it was my fault that the product was not fit for purpose?

I know this is not a great comparison as it should be Tesco in this case giving refund/repair/replacements, but its just the idea I'm going with.
    Just because Phil Fish is the small guy who was treated badly by the big bad corporation, doesn't mean he gets to escape his responsibilities.

Microsoft lost him a load of money. They should have given him the free fix, at least. That's where I'm dropping it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

So if I was selling, lets say, handmade tables, and Tesco didn't give me the level of advertising/promotion they said they would, it would be ok for me to tell my customers that I wasn't going to refund them or fix their product because I couldn't afford it (as I'd only sold 200k tables)? Even then it was my fault that the product was not fit for purpose? I'm pretty sure that is illegal.

That's a terribly analogy! it's difficult to argue logically when you've laid out an entirely different scenario, in this scenario as a handmade table maker your problem seems to be lack of sales, so refunds/fixes wouldn't be a problem, now if tesco are going to charge you a fee to fix someones table, then you've got a massive problem haven't you :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

bk wrote: »
    Oh god, it gets even better!!

Microsoft: Xbox One advertising will integrate with Kinect

So the Kinect will sit there constantly watching you and feeding the info to advertisers!!
    The rumour that will not die.

http://winsupersite.com/xbox/xbox-one-privacy-concerns-debunked

Now, lets see what the article says...
    Kinect-based controls will also be integrated into the native advertising shown on the Xbox One dashboard.

The report doesn't go into detail on just how Kinect will be integrated into the ad-viewing experience, but a Microsoft patent filed in 2011 and published in May could shed some light. The patent describes a system in which advertisers could provide "anything from digital gifts, like a score or some flair for your avatar, or promotional rewards from third-parties, like coupons or products" in exchange for watching ads or for "an action performable by the viewer and detectable by one or more sensors, such as a depth camera." Sony has a similar patent application on camera-based interactive advertising for its consoles.
    So, its a new way of interacting with ads. As in, you can say something to get an advert on, or gesture at with to open it up or something. Like you can do with moving between stuff on the dashboard. In other words, kinect doesn't stop working with regard to adverts.

I'm not seeing the targeted ads point any more than, say the type that already exists in the form of "hey if you click that ad, the advertisers will notice" type thing that exists on the 360 and will be familiar to anyone who has spent 5 minutes on the internet. Sorry, but you'll need a bit more here to have anything approaching a point.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Sorry, but you'll need a bit more here to have anything approaching a point.

I think people can make up their own mind on that, kind sir :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Sure we get targeted advertising everywhere now anyway. every time you fill out a form online or input a search query, the next page you visit is full of similar type products.

although I cant fathom why my browser keeps suggesting bored horny housewives in my area or russian singles looking for love.....

I think people can make up their own mind on that, kind sir :cool:
    That isn't really saying anything. How about saying what your opinion is rather than this non-answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Sure we get targeted advertising everywhere now anyway. every time you fill out a form online or input a search query, the next page you visit is full of similar type products.

although I cant fathom why my browser keeps suggesting bored horny housewives in my area or russian singles looking for love.....

I have been using ad block plus and popup blocker for years now. Can't remember last time I saw an add on the internet.

If I'm paying for a service, I don't and won't be hounded by unwanted advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Wait, what :confused:
    It costs 10 grand to submit a patch to a game on xbox? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Wait, what :confused:
    It costs 10 grand to submit a patch to a game on xbox? :eek:

It did until recently, no word on if it's still in place for the X1.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    That isn't really saying anything. How about saying what your opinion is rather than this non-answer?

I said people can make up their own mind, how you can deride that as a non-answer i don't quite follow, maybe you don't think people have such capacity?

This particular tangent isn't something i wish to add my opinion to at this time, i simply don't have enough information on the topic to be able to comment on it, but don't let that stop you :P

It was stating the obvious. I'd rather hear opinions on subjects than the obvious being stated, that's all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Why is he saying they're so terrible without even getting his hands on them? I've a pair of earphones that came with my iPhone and it has a mic on it. It's pretty grand and does the job. I imagine the PS headset is going to be the same so I'm not bothered.

The only thing I'll say is having the mic come through the same speakers as the sound of the game on the TV is a terrible idea. I imagine it's not going to sound great at all, but improved over the kinect 1 I'd imagine.

They should've just thrown in a free headset and be done with it. They'd both do a grand job then and nobody would be complaining.

I hope to still be using my official Sony Headset, which does the job nicely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

If you are gonna spend hundreds on a console ya can afford to buy a decent headset.

Nolars wrote: »
    If you are gonna spend hundreds on a console ya can afford to buy a decent headset.

Not if you've just spent hundreds on a new console you cant :pac:

Not if you've just spent hundreds on a new console you cant :pac:

yes

If you are gonna invest in a console and pay for the live subscription and spend 60 odd euro on games the least you can do is spend 50 yo yos on a decent headset

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Nope. Limited budget and whatever is included will do me fine. Never found the appeal in those massive headsets, but that's just me because I don't use a headset too often anyway.

yes

If you are gonna invest in a console and pay for the live subscription and spend 60 odd euro on games the least you can do is spend 50 yo yos on a decent headset

But i don't have a well of money so the headset is the last thing that'll be budgeted for, its quite literally the last part of the equation id think of and would consider it entirely optional.

But i don't have a well of money so the headset is the last thing that'll be budgeted for, its quite literally the last part of the equation id think of and would consider it entirely optional.

And you are gonna spend well over 600 euros on a console and games :O
    First world problems, forget the headset.

Are you truly not comprehending how a person really couldn't care enough to spend extra money after spending so much on a console, subscription and games...after that the console fund runs dry and real, adult, world continues to cost :P

Are you truly not comprehending how a person really couldn't care enough to spend extra money after spending so much on a console, subscription and games...after that the console fund runs dry and real, adult, world continues to cost :P

Whats this I hear about real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

we have now heard rumors from a member on the website Beyond3D that Microsoft is actually asking developers about an increased GPU upclock and a increase in total DDR3 RAM to 12GB.

https://xboxuncut.squarespace.com/microsoft-asking-developers-about-an-increased-gpu-clock-and-an-increase-to-12-gb-of-ram/

Cat among the pigeons if this turns out to be true. Almost every other rumour over the past 2 weeks has turned out to be correct so hopefully this is too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

https://xboxuncut.squarespace.com/microsoft-asking-developers-about-an-increased-gpu-clock-and-an-increase-to-12-gb-of-ram/

Cat among the pigeons if this turns out to be true. Almost every other rumour over the past 2 weeks has turned out to be correct so hopefully this is too.

be great if its true, but at the same time, you'd have to imagine that these things are in production by now. the launch is less than 4 months away now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement