Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Just to point out again that the alpha (dev) kits all came with 12gig of ram
    Seems the sole reason for 8 gig in the consumer version is to save a few $$ as the motherboards can obviously take the extra ram.

8 gig with 3 dedicated to the OS leaves 5gigs for games to access
    Therefore 12 gigs with 3 dedicated to the OS leaves 9 gigs for games, an 80% increase in accessible ram.

God I really hope this is true

Also worth a read
    http://www.1up.com/news/epic-games-cost-microsoft-billion
    Game dev conference was less than 2 months before the 360 launched.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

So. the One will be playable at Comic Con.... Though, will there be actual One consoles there, I wonder.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/418358/xbox-one-playable-at-san-diego-comic-con/

http://www.examiner.com/article/xbox-one-rumors-point-to-a-higher-clock-speed-but-doubtful-on-increase-ram
    he rumors state the following:

The Xbox One GPU is getting an increase in clock speed
    The Xbox One DDR3 RAM will increase from 8GB to 12GB
    The Xbox One development team is asking for developer feedback on changes they would want to see hardware wise.

As I have said in the past, these rumors come and go and it's hard to justify reporting on every one. But when I approached a trusted source of mine regarding them... I was surprised by the answer, to say the least.

Essentially, my source has confirmed that the increase in GPU clock speed is 100% true, with the increase happening in direct response to the PlayStation 4. The increase has been a reality since before the reveal, as they have "been reacting to Sony ever since the first leaks of both systems." The news of this bump in clock speed was announced to first parties only, as they "actively spread disinformation to 3rd parties just before reveal to prevent leaks."

This is where things start to stray from the original rumor though. When asked about the increase in RAM (from 8GB to 12GB), the response I obtained was simply "I have heard nothing like that, the development kits have 12GB of RAM, but as far as I know the retail kits are locked in at 8GB."

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/j5zny0/killer-instinct-behind-the-scenes-at-double-helix

Video footage of gameplay of killer instinct and the story behind making it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Did everyone see the in game footage of GTA V released yesterday?

holy. sh1t.

gonna be hard to justify spending time and money on an xbox1 or ps4 with that caliber of game available on the current gen consoles. theres going to be hundreds of hours of gameplay in the online mode.

• Advertisement

For anyone that hasnt seen it
    It looks simply amazing StoneDeaf

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Did everyone see the in game footage of GTA V released yesterday?

holy. sh1t.

gonna be hard to justify spending time and money on an xbox1 or ps4 with that caliber of game available on the current gen consoles. theres going to be hundreds of hours of gameplay in the online mode.

What's the likelihood of a release on the next-gen consoles with beefed up resolutions, textures and frame-rates I wonder though.

If there was news of it coming to the next gen I'd be tempted to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'm sure it will be released on next gen consoles sooner or later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Grayditch wrote: »
    I'm sure it will be released on next gen consoles sooner or later.
    I'm not sure, Rockstar have never done it before. It would be a hell of a lot of work for not much return financially. Anybody who wants it will buy it on current gen consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

This is interesting, FFXIV will not be available on the Xbox One nor on the Xbox 360 due to Xbox live not allowing cross platform gaming, now a lot of future games will be using this system, so quite possibly xbox owners will be missing out on some big titles.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/07/09/why-final-fantasy-xiv-isnt-coming-to-xbox-360-or-xbox-one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,098 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Hi looking for a little help here. I can't quite decide which of the next gen consoles to go with. I've had in my house all previous playstations and Xbox. The dedicated servers of the x1 would be great but the price and power of the ps4 are also very appealing. Any ideas would be appreciated.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Hi looking for a little help here. I can't quite decide which of the next gen consoles to go with. I've had in my house all previous playstations and Xbox. The dedicated servers of the x1 would be great but the price and power of the ps4 are also very appealing. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Look at the games. I'd say don't get either at launch, but wait for one of them to get some great exclusives, but that's just me. To me, the best games are all multiplatform, though you may be different. Once both consoles are out, Eurogamer will have face offs of the games in their digital foundry section.

Stick around here and you'll see 'em be posted here. Once the consoles are out a while, it'll be good to buy as you can see which console you prefer in terms of stuff like the controller, the games, which one is more reliable if one of them starts getting hardware problems early, et cetera.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Look at the games. I'd say don't get either at launch, but wait for one of them to get some great exclusives, but that's just me. To me, the best games are all multiplatform, though you may be different. Once both consoles are out, Eurogamer will have face offs of the games in their digital foundry section.

Stick around here and you'll see 'em be posted here. Once the consoles are out a while, it'll be good to buy as you can see which console you prefer in terms of stuff like the controller, the games, which one is more reliable if one of them starts getting hardware problems early, et cetera.

Yea the main games I want would be destiny and cod. However titanfall looks really nice. I do prefer the Xbox controller over the ps one. But can't say that for the next gen.

Jumping in on day one is something for the fanboys really (myself included). If you have the luxury of waiting a while you'll get a better feel for whats what.

the next few months will tell an awful lot, both in terms of concrete specifications and what games will actually be available at launch.

i remember the ps2 launch, and the xbox 360 launch, very few good games for either, it really took a good 6 months to a year before the must have titles started to appear.

Have to say I really want one or the other at launch. I'm big into new tech. Same with phones and stuff. But maybe your right and I might hang on until the new year.

Have to say I really want one or the other at launch. I'm big into new tech. Same with phones and stuff. But maybe your right and I might hang on until the new year.

A lot of people arent that jazzed up about the xbox1 and the whole kinect thing.
    personally I'm looking forward to the instant switching, skype calls, voice and gesture controls. its at least innovative on some level and I'm looking forward to seeing what devs will be doing with it 3 years down the road. fair enough it doesnt have the raw power that the PS4 has, but a lack of power never hindered the underpowered nintendo consoles of generations past.

A lot of people arent that jazzed up about the xbox1 and the whole kinect thing.
    People keep going on about the kinect being always one, which isn't the case. As for Kinect integration in games, well it's going to play a role in games. Even Battlefield 4 is looking at ways in which it might be incorporated in there. In a way, according to them that would make sense.

http://www.examiner.com/article/battlefield-4-will-support-xbox-one-kinect-but-only-where-it-makes-sense?CID=examiner_alerts_article

People keep going on about the kinect being always one, which isn't the case. As for Kinect integration in games, well it's going to play a role in games. Even Battlefield 4 is looking at ways in which it might be incorporated in there. In a way, according to them that would make sense.

http://www.examiner.com/article/battlefield-4-will-support-xbox-one-kinect-but-only-where-it-makes-sense?CID=examiner_alerts_article

The biggest problem is the lack of clarity, so many different rumors, half truths and untruths on every website you look at.

Microsoft need to lay all the cards on the table sooner rather than later. I'd consider myself a microsoft guy, and I'm hungry for information - feed me moar!

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jimbob_jones

The biggest problem is the lack of clarity, so many different rumors, half truths and untruths on every website you look at.

Microsoft need to lay all the cards on the table sooner rather than later. I'd consider myself a microsoft guy, and I'm hungry for information - feed me moar!

Agreed Stone Deaf, apparently they are planning a press conference for Gamescom next month, fingers crossed we will get some much needed clarity then.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/4/4493906/report-microsoft-planning-gamescom-press-conference

Where have you been looking? They made a shambles of their console reveal with the TV stuff and then with all the terrible stuff that they talked about after the reveal - the 24 hour online, the always on kinect being big issues people had. The E3 was better than the reveal, and they came out a bit after E3 with the following... (June 19th)

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update

Heck, even before that, they had released this as of June 6th.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/privacy

People are very selective in what they believe has been changed. As for bogus sites, I linked to one earlier. Here it is again. But we're hardly going to let a misinformed site like that be something of value in any discussion, or to use sites that are way behind the curve mean anything, are we? Seriously, take a look at the date that article was posted and the date of the stuff on xbox.com. Does the fact that sites exist that don't know what the heck they are talking about mean anything? I guess it says outside the gaming press, MS haven't communicated the changes well enough.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

People keep going on about the kinect being always one, which isn't the case.

...but if they don't, someone else will :pac:
    ...but, more seriously and less jokey, I think it's more the fact that the kinect is a system requirement that some people take issue with, i'm not entirely sure at what level the kinect remains "on" as the console hasn't been released yet - personally, I don't think that will be totally clear until the x1 is examined after it's release.

When the system is off, it’s only listening for the single voice command -- “Xbox On,” and you can even turn that feature off too. Some apps and games may require Kinect functionality to operate, so you’ll need to turn it back on for these experiences.
    First bold part speaks for itself. The other bold part, you need to turn it back on to use it. As in, if you have it disabled, it doesn't just turn itself back on because the console is on, you have to change it to actually be on. Does MS need the bad publicity of lying here? I'm going to go with no.

Anyway, in other news, some talk on the prototypes they went through in coming up with the final design.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/10/4510862/xbox-one-prototypes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

First bold part speaks for itself. The other bold part, you need to turn it back on to use it. As in, if you have it disabled, it doesn't just turn itself back on because the console is on, you have to change it to actually be on. Does MS need the bad publicity of lying here? I'm going to go with no.

I'm hardly lying about my opinion, great, mature discussion there Pushtak.

EDIT: My bad!

Lots of people are saying the kinect is going to be always on. I am always saying that they have said it isn't. If it is, then people who think it is think MS are lying. Where did I say you were lying?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

It's definately going to be a telling couple of months. It would be great if both consoles turn out to be great like with this generation leading to welcome competition. However MS has been getting a lot of negative press over the last month, they're really going to have to pull out all the stops to impress from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Lots of people are saying the kinect is going to be always on. I am always saying that they have said it isn't. If it is, then people who think it is think MS are lying. Where did I say you were lying?

You seem to be under some illusion that MS is this honest, consumer friendly company..

Where did I say you were lying?

My apologies then, I picked up your post wrong.

• Advertisement

You seem to be under some illusion that MS is this honest, consumer friendly company..
    Consumer friendly, no. But they aren't going to put down something like that which is open ground for litigation. If there was some kind of weasel words in there which doesn't really say we'd be able to turn it off, there'd be a case to make. The burden of proof here is on those making the claim, i.e that the kinect will not be capable of being turned off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement