Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

The biggest example of product placement that comes to mind for me is Subway stuff in Chuck. I don't know how much truth there is to it, but the folk wisdom is it was down to Subway advertising that the show stuck around as long as it did. Brand advertising doesn't get much more blatant than how it was done in Subway. It really came across tongue in cheek it was so ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Pushtrak wrote: »
    The biggest example of product placement that comes to mind for me is Subway stuff in Chuck. I don't know how much truth there is to it, but the folk wisdom is it was down to Subway advertising that the show stuck around as long as it did. Brand advertising doesn't get much more blatant than how it was done in Subway. It really came across tongue in cheek it was so ridiculous.

Cartoons only last as long as the toys sell, with only a few cheap exceptions. So if a game can have a secondary income for the publishers then they'll support the game longer and likely develop another one.

Personally I don't care about the ads, that is unless they are extremely intrusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Pushtrak wrote: »
    That had some pretty horrific MS advertising as well. In one episode the team are sent mission orders in the field and one character comments they've been "uploaded to my Skydrive". At least the writers got their own back with the Kinect placement. :pac:

As for such placement in games, I can see it becoming increasingly important in the future with bigger budget games given the complete aversion to a price increase at retail from gamers combined with a constant call for bigger and more expensive productions as the next generation consoles launch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

It isn't exactly a good sign that they think someone from that background (windows 8, IE 3 + 4) is suited to the job.

• Advertisement

Grayditch wrote: »
    The bit where he picks up the kid's Vita and says' "Is that the Playstation Vita, I have to get one of these"... I mean. I have a Vita... and I was enjoying the show, but wow. Just wow. Turned out awful and I'm not sure if I ever got past that scene, ha.

video_2013126215421x5cqufu.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

I think he's talking more about things like billboards in Burnout Paradise / Rainbow 6 Vegas, etc. That sort of thing ... Not as if you're running and gunning as Master Chief and suddenly the action stops "End of Part One" and a "Try Mentos. Mentos Fresh and Full of Life" video plays, followed by "Part Two" and the game continuing.

Ah come on that would never happen. It would be Doritos and Mountain Dew...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The bit where he picks up the kid's Vita and says' "Is that the Playstation Vita, I have to get one of these"... I mean. I have a Vita... and I was enjoying the show, but wow. Just wow. Turned out awful and I'm not sure if I ever got past that scene, ha.

I watched it through Netflix on my Xbox and he said "Is that a PSP? Wow, what a piece of crap."

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

Not as if you're running and gunning as Master Chief and suddenly the action stops "End of Part One" and a "Try Mentos. Mentos Fresh and Full of Life" video plays, followed by "Part Two" and the game continuing.

You should get a job in marketing. I'd love some Mentos now!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jul/11/microsoft-nsa-collaboration-user-data

Microsoft has seemingly given the NSA full access to all their data.
    Full access to Skype video and audio calls which is integrated in X1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jul/11/microsoft-nsa-collaboration-user-data

Microsoft has seemingly given the NSA full access to all their data.
    Full access to Skype video and audio calls which is integrated in X1.

why is it not banned in the EU then:/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    why is it not banned in the EU then:/

It's not open access, they have to tell microsft what individual they want to monitor. Then microsoft shares information about that person.

Both microsft and Sony have to comply with the laws in the US.

It's not open access, they have to tell microsft what individual they want to monitor. Then microsoft shares information about that person.

so basicly only if your a terrorist , you wont be getting spyed on :pac: alot of people must be terrorists :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

http://m.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jul/11/microsoft-nsa-collaboration-user-data

If you trust them to only take information as sought by the courts, put the fact that they are capable of doing this should be a concern going into to future.

I use Facebook, spotify and Netflix, I know what I'm getting with these, I pay my monthly sub, and that's it. I would like MS to be the same, but with my sub, I have to buy games, and DLC's. I don't want to see adverts aimed at my patterns also. And before anyone says google does this, I don't pay a sub to google.

NORTH1 wrote: »
    http://m.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jul/11/microsoft-nsa-collaboration-user-data

If you trust them to only take information as sought by the courts, put the fact that they are capable of doing this should be a concern going into to future.

I use Facebook, spotify and Netflix, I know what I'm getting with these, I pay my monthly sub, and that's it. I would like MS to be the same, but with my sub, I have to buy games, and DLC's. I don't want to see adverts aimed at my patterns also. And before anyone says google does this, I don't pay a sub to google.

you kinda do
    you pay to use the internet
    theirs ads everywere on the internet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

you kinda do

The money I pay for my internet doesn't go towards hosting the websites though so that arguement doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

you kinda do

That's the worst argument ever, there, mate.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I don't want to see adverts aimed at my patterns also.

I don't like this either, but don't forget Sony will be doing it too.

I don't remember it being brought up as an example, apologies if it did, but there is the example of RTE. You pay the TV licence and still have ads. I'm in no way a fan of ads. I pretty much avoid TV for that reason. I hate being around when a TV or radio is on and hearing the ads. Likewise for when I go to the cinema and the ads that come on before the film.

I don't care so much about on screen ads like the ones that I see here on boards as an example. And, yes, you can say you can pay boards and get rid of ads, but the ads that show up aren't that big a deal to me. The ads that really get my goat are the ones that (especially when I have around 10+ tabs open) have audio and you have to find which ad it is, so you just mute until you can find it and turn it off. Though with adblocker, I can't recall last time I had one of these.

Obviously, the above is only my opinion, and where I really only find ads objectionable when I hear them, other peoples mileage will vary, and even the very sight of ads is enough to piss you off. That's fine, and there isn't really anything that can be said there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

stevenmu wrote: »
    I don't like this either, but don't forget Sony will be doing it too.

When did they say that? All they said was that ads for games will be targeted to you, so only games you'd actually have interest in will populate the PS store home page. Ads won't littler the menus or anything.

^ i dont mind game related ads....what i dont want are feckin shampoo or tampax ads!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'd prefer tampax and shampoo ads. I'd like that they'd be failing to market to me correctly.

Although I have been a bit moody this week, but I put that down to split ends.

That's the worst argument ever, there, mate.

how?
    with internet comes adverts
    you fail to see that ? :pac: your paying to use a service, an ISP is just like a microsoft service you pay to use it
    so ads come with it :L
    its not an argument its FACT

how?
    with internet comes adverts
    you fail to see that ? :pac: your paying to use a service, an ISP is just like a microsoft service you pay to use it
    so ads come with it :L
    its not an argument its FACT
    You are paying your ISP for internet, but they aren't the ones making ads show up. Take Boards. You can become a subscriber, and you get rid of ads. With Spotify, you pay and you get rid of ads.

With the One, you pay for the console and you get ads. Now, it isn't a dealbreaker to me with ads as long as they aren't intrusive ads, and there are other examples of paying for a service but they still have ads, but the ISP/internet ads isn't a good example.

How big a deal are these ads to people? To me, the games are the important thing. I can put up with ads on the 360 because of how high the quality of games are makes flimsy concerns like this irrelevant. Ask yourself: Are ads such a dealbreaker that you'd abstain from playing great games on account of them? If you said yes to that, I have to ask, Seriously?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I fear futurama's ad system coming to fruition :P

For all those people thinking MS are backtracking too much... This one probably isn't for you...

http://kotaku.com/microsoft-might-bring-back-cut-xbox-one-features-that-p-761856450

Edit: My bad, should have just posted the original source first. Here it is anyway.
    http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/07/12/microsoft-shame-on-us-for-xbox-one-messaging

Edit 2: Read the IGN article. It's long but worth reading. I'd quote it, but there is too much there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

Lol, I wonder do MS have programming meetings? And if they do, what sort of drugs are they on. In my opinion, they are all over the place, and confused as to what direction they are going in.

I will be sticking with the 360 for the foreseeable future. I can see the one, crashing bad.

They got a 22,000 signed petition and IGN reached out for an interview on the subject.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Lol, I wonder do MS have programming meetings? And if they do, what sort of drugs are they on. In my opinion, they are all over the place, and confused as to what direction they are going in.

I will be sticking with the 360 for the foreseeable future. I can see the one, crashing bad.
    i'll be keeping my 360 also and observing the xbox one and PS4 to judge which 1 I like best. I really want to play both machines before I buy 1 of them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement