Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It's probably a better option than waiting an extra few months, if they can be finishing it while it's being certified and pressed, if that's the case. It's not ideal, but if I was a Forza fan, I'd probably be happy it was coming on time in some way, shape or form.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I don't think its as bad as some people are making it out to be. They won't be finished in time for release, so doing it this way will give them another month or two to work on the game.

The other way of looking at it is that they are releasing a game a month or two before it is finished.
    It's probably a better option than waiting an extra few months, if they can be finishing it while it's being certified and pressed, if that's the case.
    I think it's a little disturbing that something can be certified and pressed when they know it's not finished and doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Well the content that is on the disc will be certified, and the rest which is essentially an irregular type of DLC will come after.

I'm sure there will be a full disc version that people can wait for, and then there's this option that fans of Forza will probably be into. It does sound like the game will be rushed, either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Like GT5 on PS3. It was and still is a half finished mess. The amount of free updates and dlc for that is shocking and it's still not half the game Forza 4 is. I fear for Forza now. I play for the single player and if anyone thinks the AI in Forza is bad, try GT5 or the GT6 demo. Forza's AI is in another league and very impressive for a console racer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Like GT5 on PS3. It was and still is a half finished mess. The amount of free updates and dlc for that is shocking and it's still not half the game Forza 4 is. I fear for Forza now. I play for the single player and if anyone thinks the AI in Forza is bad, try GT5 or the GT6 demo. Forza's AI is in another league and very impressive for a console racer.

Being a launch title, they were probably well down the road to development and had based their plans about the 'always-on' console. So, this update probably smooths out whatever was requiring that connection and allowing it to be played fully offline. There will probably be an updated version available later in the life of Forza 5 that has that update streamlined onto the Disc.

That being said, if you buy it digitally on Day 1, you'd probably never notice this Day 1 update.

As for the AI in Forza, it could be interesting to see how the Drivatars (awful name, by the way) change that. Having other drivers in your single-player race that drive like your mates could make it a hell of a lot better.

(Unless they all drive like me, and they spend half the race scraping the Armco on the sides of the track :))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Being a launch title, they were probably well down the road to development and had based their plans about the 'always-on' console. So, this update probably smooths out whatever was requiring that connection and allowing it to be played fully offline. There will probably be an updated version available later in the life of Forza 5 that has that update streamlined onto the Disc.

That being said, if you buy it digitally on Day 1, you'd probably never notice this Day 1 update.

As for the AI in Forza, it could be interesting to see how the Drivatars (awful name, by the way) change that. Having other drivers in your single-player race that drive like your mates could make it a hell of a lot better.

(Unless they all drive like me, and they spend half the race scraping the Armco on the sides of the track :))

I'm actually curious as to whether they'll have to make changes to the drivatar system, seeing as it would have been reliant on always on I'd imagine. Maybe that's causing the delay to a degree.

Here's some clarification for Forza 5 from Turn10 studios (Dan Greenwalt)
    IGN wrote:
    While the Drivatar feature is designed to take advantage of Xbox Live and the processing power of the cloud, its revolutionary approach to opponent has been designed to work offline as well. Racing against the Drivatars of others does not require a connection. Drivatar learning and training does require a connection to the cloud as it’s a real-time training system. Any time that you connect Forza Motorsport 5 to the Live servers, you will automatically download a refreshed set of Drivatar opponent data."

He added that downloading fresh Drivatar data is "not a lot of data."

What about your Xbox Live friends? Will you still see your friends' Drivatars when playing offline?

"Not necessarily. When you first connect Forza Motorsport 5 to the Live servers, you will download a set of Drivatar opponents (it’s not a lot of data, but it contains enough Drivatars to cover all difficulty settings) for use in offline mode. This set of Drivatars will not necessarily contain your friends. From race to race as you stay connected, your friend’s Drivatars, cars, and paint schemes will be pulled into your races – as will updated Drivatar strangers and rivals based on your difficulty settings."

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Here's some clarification for Forza 5 from Turn10 studios (Dan Greenwalt)
    IGN wrote:
    While the Drivatar feature is designed to take advantage of Xbox Live and the processing power of the cloud, its revolutionary approach to opponent has been designed to work offline as well. Racing against the Drivatars of others does not require a connection. Drivatar learning and training does require a connection to the cloud as it’s a real-time training system. Any time that you connect Forza Motorsport 5 to the Live servers, you will automatically download a refreshed set of Drivatar opponent data."

He added that downloading fresh Drivatar data is "not a lot of data."

What about your Xbox Live friends? Will you still see your friends' Drivatars when playing offline?

"Not necessarily. When you first connect Forza Motorsport 5 to the Live servers, you will download a set of Drivatar opponents (it’s not a lot of data, but it contains enough Drivatars to cover all difficulty settings) for use in offline mode. This set of Drivatars will not necessarily contain your friends. From race to race as you stay connected, your friend’s Drivatars, cars, and paint schemes will be pulled into your races – as will updated Drivatar strangers and rivals based on your difficulty settings."

So, Skynet for cars then?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

I think I'm going to have to turn off the damage if all the AI's mimic my friends :eek:

And keep an eye out for cars coming backwards around the track!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I think I'm going to have to turn off the damage if all the AI's mimic my friends :eek:

And keep an eye out for cars coming backwards around the track!

If I see wan of yiz Boardsies Drivatars....yer getting smashed off the feckin road! :D

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

you really dont need to post this on every thread :pac: specialy as you seem to be giving out "Wins" like charlie sheen does

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

The last five minutes of Gameplay???Are they taking the p*ss or is this for real.I was under the impression that you could record entire matches.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The last five minutes of Gameplay???Are they taking the p*ss or is this for real.I was under the impression that you could record entire matches.

I think this just relates to the auto record function. It will automatically record the past 5 minutes so that if you do something really cool or whatever you can just play it back and upload it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I think this just relates to the auto record function. It will automatically record the past 5 minutes so that if you do something really cool or whatever you can just play it back and upload it.

5 minutes is fine for "oh my god did you see that" moments, if you can manually set it to record for planned things like let's plays/guides then 5 minutes is more than enough.

some good news for xboxone

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/07/24/microsoft-to-announce-indie-self-publishing-new-certification-process.aspx

finally allowing indie developers to self publish :)

although i dont really care for indie games
    i would be delighted if abes odessey came to xboxone

also im not sure if its real or fake still trying to find out could be a hoax :P

ok its been officially announced by major nelson

http://majornelson.com/ better late then never :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

However its also rumoured that it must be published on the Windows 8 App store and only will only have access to 3GB of RAM.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

However its also rumoured that it must be published on the Windows 8 App store and only will only have access to 3GB of RAM.

If so, why would they even have to announce it? As I understand it, that was an option before this was announced.

If so, why would they even have to announce it? As I understand it, that was an option before this was announced.

I think it was only apps that were announced beforehand, not full indie games.

• Advertisement

Interesting to see Microsoft confirming that this is not going to be only a doubling of the Windows Store, rather that indie Devs will be able to use the whole Xbox Live Gaming environment for their games (the Xbox OS partition, and not just the Windows OS partition)
    http://www.oxm.co.uk/59041/microsoft-doesnt-want-to-limit-indie-xbox-one-ram-access-everybody-gets-full-pool-of-resources/

This means Kinect, the cloud, achievements and the same level of RAM as an AAA dev... This could be great in the right hands, but, how long before the first game that gives 1,000 Gamerscore for a Fart App?

Interesting to see Microsoft confirming that this is not going to be only a doubling of the Windows Store, rather that indie Devs will be able to use the whole Xbox Live Gaming environment for their games (the Xbox OS partition, and not just the Windows OS partition)
    http://www.oxm.co.uk/59041/microsoft-doesnt-want-to-limit-indie-xbox-one-ram-access-everybody-gets-full-pool-of-resources/

This means Kinect, the cloud, achievements and the same level of RAM as an AAA dev... This could be great in the right hands, but, how long before the first game that gives 1,000 points for a Fart App?

Well Microsoft have to approve everything that goes into the store so if they insist on quality they can stop a lot of the crap. If it's anything like the windows store, they'll let any old crap in just to bulk up the numbers and it will be impossible to find the good stuff.

Xenji wrote: »

It's only 2 years not 4 based on those articles. Plus the last one is before Microsoft changed their policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I'm just going to leave this here...
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ps3-system-software-memory

Seems like some inconvenient truths might be starting to emerge. Looks like the consoles maybe on par after all.

Seems like some inconvenient truths might be starting to emerge. Looks like the consoles maybe on par after all.

:o

PS4 is still more powerful in every aspect. Plus that's a rumour with a poor source, insiders on neogaf are saying 6Gb for games.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

PS4 is still more powerful in every aspect. Plus that's a rumour with a poor source, insiders on neogaf are saying 6Gb for games.

And even the authors of that article are back-pedalling quickly, already two major updates to the article. Looks like bad journalism.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

bk wrote: »
    And even the authors of that article are back-pedalling quickly, already two major updates to the article. Looks like bad journalism.

Hardly. Updating the article with further info and relevant statements is actually good journalism. Bad journalism is leaving incorrect information published.

Regardless tho the PS4 memory advantage isn't what people thought and Sony weren't forthcoming with the reality of reserved memory - quite happy to let MS take a hit for reserving OS ram when it appears their plans are remarkably similar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

The PS4 RAM is sill far superior. If this rumour is true, and they do have the same amount of RAM, the PS4 will always have the advantage there.

I'm annoyed that this much RAM is going to wasted on OSes and social crap my smartphone is more than capable of doing. Whatever happened to putting all the power into the games?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement