Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Its a legit question....PS4 = smaller and no brick, X1 = bigger and a brick....why :confused:

Taking a large chunk of heat out of the main body will provide reliability from the offset. Not just against console failure but actuall gameplay crashes that any system is prone to.

But I suspect you know all this and you're just antagonozing a thread filled with people who know all the facts and yet still have enthusiasm for the Xbox One.

We get it - you're going to buy a PS4. Good for you. Perhaps your obsession would be best fulfilled in threads other than an X1 thread though. Just a suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

And why does the X1 need a huge power brick when the smaller PS4 dosent :confused:
    so it can can cause PS fanboy confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

And why does the X1 need a huge power brick when the smaller PS4 dosent :confused:

It didn't look liike a perticulary large power brick to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Grayditch wrote: »
    I disagree, but he is probably perfect for the current generation of young gamers.

How many times have you met him then to form this opinion of the man?

Taking a large chunk of heat out of the main body will provide reliability from the offset.

Worked well for the 360... :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

COYVB wrote: »
    How many times have you met him then to form this opinion of the man?

Hahaha, for real?

Ok, let me re-word that so as not to put anyone out. That guy annoys me when he talks. On the internet. Which is the only place I see him.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Controller looks a bit weird but nice to see a HDMI cable is included.

Probably going to pre-order this weekend, anybody know if xtravision can get me a day one X1 with Forza 5 & BF4 and all the pre-order bonuses?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

maximoose wrote: »
    Probably the ~40M people who have a 360 with no gold membership.

And how many of those 40m are going to ps4? nuff said
    i said who would buy the xbox one without gold, considering you need gold to use most of the functions on the xbox one
    i didnt say most of the functions on the 360, because if your planning on buying the xbox one without gold you can expect not too use the apps that come with it. do you understand now? people who are buying the xbox one , who already bought the 360 and dont pay for xbox live can expect the same stuff from the xbox one as well

maybe you will re-read my post again?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    And how many of those 40m are going to ps4? nuff said
    i said who would buy the xbox one without gold, considering you need gold to use most of the functions on the xbox one
    i didnt say most of the functions on the 360, because if your planning on buying the xbox one without gold you can expect not too use the apps that come with it. do you understand now? people who are buying the xbox one , who already bought the 360 and dont pay for xbox live can expect the same stuff from the xbox one as well

maybe you will re-read my post again?

So what you're saying is we should really consider the price of the X1 to be around 800euros?

So what you're saying is we should really consider the price of the X1 to be around 800euros?

No the price of kinect2.0 was suppose to cost more
    for example people assume the console itself without kinect is worth 400
    so 100e left, but microsoft has stated kinect 2.0 is worth alot more then 100quid as it cost more then that to make one

anyhow nevermind that , its already been talked about so im not going to waste your time reading ****e :P

heres some good news, although only small its made me abit happy :)

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/08/08/xbox-one-includes-chat-headset

headsets to be included into the XboxOne
    looks like cheap plastic but should do the job until adaptors are made for more expensive headsets

what are your thoughts on this Richard Downer :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

so 100e left, but microsoft has stated kinect 2.0 is worth alot more then 100quid as it cost more then that to make one

anyhow nevermind that , its already been talked about so im not going to waste your time reading ****e :P

looks like cheap plastic but should do the job until adaptors are made for more expensive headsets

Kinect is part of the console, the console can't function without Kinect connected so you need to stop thinking of Kinect as a peripheral and think of it as part of the console.

And richard's thoughts are on the previous page.

Kinect is part of the console, the console can't function without Kinect connected so you need to stop thinking of Kinect as a peripheral and think of it as part of the console.

And richard's thoughts are on the previous page.

I am not? its apart of the console and i am happy it is and for those that are not, get a ps4 and stop whinging, nuff said :)
    and his thoughts on the headset
    in anycase what are your thoughts on it?

Worked well for the 360... :p

Just imagine if it had been built in. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭TNT2k_

Taking a large chunk of heat out of the main body will provide reliability from the offset. Not just against console failure but actuall gameplay crashes that any system is prone to.

But I suspect you know all this and you're just antagonozing a thread filled with people who know all the facts and yet still have enthusiasm for the Xbox One.

We get it - you're going to buy a PS4. Good for you. Perhaps your obsession would be best fulfilled in threads other than an X1 thread though. Just a suggestion.

It didn't work for the 360, and the PS3, which was more compact, had a built-in PSU with far better reliability. There's no excise, only poor engineering design that they couldn't include it in the box.

There is more than enough space for it

xbox-one-hardware.jpg

That said and done though, the X1 is looking a lot better nowadays. The constant 180s, though irritating in the sense that they should already have copped-on and shouldn't need to be doing them, just to do it right the first time, is turning things around slowly but surely.

Kinect is still the inhibitor for me personally, though.

You can't deny that compared to how the X1 originally launched it's a far, far better console now.

TNT2k_ wrote: »
    It didn't work for the 360, and the PS3, which was more compact, had a built-in PSU with far better reliability. There's no excise, only poor engineering design that they couldn't include it in the box.

Space is one thing but the thermal profile is another. Just because something might fit doesn't mean you should stick it in. Honestly though of all the things to be critical of, a PSU sitting behind your TV cabinet never to be seen again isn't one of them IMO.

Without know the details about how hot this thing is going to run it's impossible to say whether or not they could have or should have fit it in.

The PS4 uses 8GB GDDR5 RAM and has a GPU with 50% more CUs and is €400 RRP.

The X1 uses cheaper 8GB DDR3 RAM and a weaker, less expensive GPU. The X1 is €500 RRP.

So with this in mind, the X1 is the cheaper console to manufacture. The only added cost is Kinect. MS say Kinect costs more than $100 to make, but that's true, because had it not been included there's no reason to believe how the X1 could be €400 when it uses tech that's less expensive than the PS4. The X1 could've been €350 at retail without Kinect for all we know.

I very much doubt MS is taking a big hit on Kinect when they say it costs more than $100, implying that it would've been €400 without it, because with the specs it has, there's no way it could be as expensive to produce as the PS4 on it's own, it'd be under that price without Kinect.

Kinect has been very much factored into the console. You're not getting some massive deal for just €100 extra when the costs have been recouped elsewhere in the console.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Hahaha, for real?

Ok, let me re-word that so as not to put anyone out. That guy annoys me when he talks. On the internet. Which is the only place I see him.

That's slightly different to bluntly disagreeing when someone said he's a decent guy though

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

xbox-one-hardware.jpg

Where exactly is there room for it. You do know that the power supply lines are high voltage, and have to be kept seperate from the DC low voltage tracks. The magnetic field from the Transformer alone would create voltage spikes in the DC and can lead to problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

That's slightly different to bluntly disagreeing when someone said he's a decent guy though

My bad. Get your mate on speed dial there and tell him I said sorry, or just say it to him next time you're hanging out.

Where exactly is there room for it. You do know that the power supply lines are high voltage, and have to be kept seperate from the DC low voltage tracks. The magnetic field from the Transformer alone would create voltage spikes in the DC and can lead to problems.

There's a lot of room left there because of inefficient design.

Off the top of my head the PS3 had an internal PSU and Blu-ray drive which would've consumed a lot of power and generated quite a bit of heat at the time. That said it was very compact for it's size, and despite that it had a higher level of reliability compared to the 360, which had a power brick and a less compact internal design similar to the X1.

PS3 - compact design
    Bunkai4.jpg

360 - less compact design similar to the X1
    no_cov.jpg

There's no excuse for having an external PSU these days because it can be done and done well without having to worry about reliability.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I think MS are playing us and the media for fools.....all this reversing and 180 stuff, me thinks its all designed to get publicity.

I think MS are playing us and the media for fools.....all this reversing and 180 stuff, me thinks its all designed to get publicity.

It's not. It's not unheard of for a company to pull something along those lines, but what MS have done goes well beyond that, to the extent that Mattrick was moved on elsewhere. Shareholders don't like a perceived lack of direction from management, and flip flops display exactly that. It's a lack of confidence from the company that they're doing the right thing that usually wipes money off corporate value, and MS displayed that in bucketloads this summer

It's not. It's not unheard of for a company to pull something along those lines, but what MS have done goes well beyond that, to the extent that Mattrick was moved on elsewhere. Shareholders don't like a perceived lack of direction from management, and flip flops display exactly that. It's a lack of confidence from the company that they're doing the right thing that usually wipes money off corporate value, and MS displayed that in bucketloads this summer

but they continue to flip flop, makes decisions and then reverse them....its just getting a bit fishy now :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 988 ✭✭✭deadeye187

Hi, I have been a xbox gamer since the very first xbox. Now I do not know anything about computers, only how to play games. This is my question is the xbox one alot better/same as the PS4? Paying the amount of money said I really want to get the best bang for my buck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

deadeye187 wrote: »
    Hi, I have been a xbox gamer since the very first xbox. Now I do not know anything about computers, only how to play games. This is my question is the xbox one alot better/same as the PS4? Paying the amount of money said I really want to get the best bang for my buck!

Neither of them are really much better than the other. The X1 is €100 dearer but come with Kinect 2.0. If that appeals to you then it may be worth it. The PS4 is slightly more powerful and has faster RAM, but in the majority of cases (i.e. multiplatform titles) the differences will probably be negligible.

You may also prefer one controller to another but you can't really test that yet.

You have to pay (subscribe) to play online games on both. However, if you don't play online but would like to use the likes of Netflix on the console, you have to be subscribed on the X1 but not on the PS4. PS+ also offers free games every month to download and that are playable while subscribed and that's set to continue for PS4. Nothing has been said about the X1 in this regard.

In my opinion, the most important aspect is the games. While the majority of games will be on both, which exclusive games do you prefer? For instance, for this generation, there was Uncharted, Killzone, LittleBigPlanet and Gran Turismo on PS3, among others, while on Xbox there was Halo, Forza, Fable and Crackdown, again among others.

Personally, I'm opting for the PS4, mainly because I don't really play online much, have no interest in Kinect (currently at least) and I feel that Sony had the stronger exclusives this generation, especially towards the end. However, I may get the X1 in the future, depending on the exclusives released, how the Kinect is utilised and when there's a price drop.

If you're not really sure, I'd probably advise waiting a few months and seeing how things play out, and making a decision when you've more info available.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 988 ✭✭✭deadeye187

Deano7788 wrote: »
    Neither of them are really much better than the other. The X1 is €100 dearer but come with Kinect 2.0. If that appeals to you then it may be worth it. The PS4 is slightly more powerful and has faster RAM, but in the majority of cases (i.e. multiplatform titles) the differences will probably ne negligible.

You may also prefer one controller to another but you can't really test that yet.

You have to pay (subscribe) to play online games on both. However, if you don't play online but would like to use the likes of Netflix on the console, you have to be subscribed on the X1 but not on the PS4. PS+ also offers free games every month to download and that are playable while subscribed and that's set to continue for PS4. Nothing has been said about the X1 in this regard.

In my opinion, the most important aspect is the games. While the majority of games will be on both, which exclusive games do you prefer? For instance, for this generation, there was Uncharted, Killzone, LittleBigPlanet and Gran Turismo on PS3, among others, while on Xbox there was Halo, Forza, Fable and Crackdown, again among others.

Personally, I'm opting for the PS4, mainly because I don't really play online much, have no interest in Kinect (currently at least) and I feel that Sony had the stronger exclusives this generation, especially towards the end. However, I may get the X1 in the future, depending on the exclusives released, how the Kinect is utilised and when there's a price drop.

If you're not really sure, I'd probably advise waiting a few months and seeing how things play out, and making a decision when you've more info available.

This is great thanks. I play online 90% of the time, and BF3 would be almost all of that.
    Now I do enjoy single player games just to get away from the madness of online. So the single player games might sway my decision as BF will be almost the same online with both.
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

deadeye187 wrote: »
    This is great thanks. I play online 90% of the time, and BF3 would be almost all of that.
    Now I do enjoy single player games just to get away from the madness of online. So the single player games might sway my decision as BF will be almost the same online with both.
    Thanks again.

The other consideration I should have mentioned, and it's definitely relevant now that you've said this, is if you regularly play with a group, find out what console they plan on getting. There's no point getting a different console to everyone else in the group if you enjoy playing with them.

Space is one thing but the thermal profile is another. Just because something might fit doesn't mean you should stick it in. Honestly though of all the things to be critical of, a PSU sitting behind your TV cabinet never to be seen again isn't one of them IMO.

Without know the details about how hot this thing is going to run it's impossible to say whether or not they could have or should have fit it in.

Well with a sky box and other consoles under my TV as it is I really can't afford to have such an unnecessarily big console under it. Sure I could and will accommodate for it, but the X1 for what it is is exceptionally huge, and with a power brick to boot. Why does it need to be so big and have a power brick? It's just poor system design, imo.
    There's a lot of empty space there in the design of the X1. A more compact and efficient design would've allowed for an internal PSU with no heating issues. It's been done on a multitude of other consoles with no issues so that's no excuse for it.

So if I have limited space as it is, yes I will be critical of a console that is big for no reason when it could've been designed to be a lot smaller had their design been much more efficient, and I'd have an easier time of finding space for it.

• Advertisement

Well with a sky box and other consoles under my TV as it is I really can't afford to have such an unnecessarily big console under it. Sure I could and will accommodate for it, but the X1 for what it is is exceptionally huge, and with a power brick to boot. Why does it need to be so big and have a power brick? It's just poor system design, imo.
    There's a lot of empty space there in the design of the X1. A more compact and efficient design would've allowed for an internal PSU with no heating issues. It's been done on a multitude of other consoles with no issues so that's no excuse for it.

So if I have limited space as it is, yes I will be critical of a console that is big for no reason when it could've been designed to be a lot smaller had their design been much more efficient, and I'd have an easier time of finding space for it.

Basically the next gen are PCs. Given the size of most PCs and the amount of free space it is healthy to maintain I don't have too much issue with the size. Like the last gen, in a couple of years, with natural miniaturisation and die-size shrinkages becoming competitive we'll likely see a slim model of both again.

Having small form factor cases while still using powerful hardware is very difficult and very costly (see laptops).

For what it's worth I wish they could be smaller too - obviously. But I understand a little why they aren't. As a veteran PC builder I'd rather a nice, airy, quiet case than a compact, crowded system that needs noisy turbines to maintain nominal temps.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement