Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Does anyone else find it strange that there isn't any pictures or video of the PS4 internal hardware?

Especially since we are viewing Xbox One unboxing videos and hardware look sees. Are they hiding it for some reason....

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

I would be interested in the internals as well. I'd like to see how they arranged the hardware and internal power supply while still optimising cooling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Are they hiding it for some reason....

They could be but I think it's just differing marketing strategies. I expect them to hold stuff back for both Gamescom and TGS so info will continue to tickle out over the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭TNT2k_

Basically the next gen are PCs. Given the size of most PCs and the amount of free space it is healthy to maintain I don't have too much issue with the size. Like the last gen, in a couple of years, with natural miniaturisation and die-size shrinkages becoming competitive we'll likely see a slim model of both again.

Having small form factor cases while still using powerful hardware is very difficult and very costly (see laptops).

For what it's worth I wish they could be smaller too - obviously. But I understand a little why they aren't. As a veteran PC builder I'd rather a nice, airy, quiet case than a compact, crowded system that needs noisy turbines to maintain nominal temps.
    What I don't understand is that they use mobile CPUs, they're low power. Overall the voltage is significantly reduced in all regards compared to last gen. Even if the system was as big as the original 360 that'd be more bearable, but why make it even bigger than that? The PS3 was also more compact and quieter, so like heat, noise doesn't always go hand-in-hand with an internal PSU and smaller case if it's built to a high standard.

I remember reading that Mark Cerny didn't want to see the box design but he knew it was going to be smaller and he knew the basic footprint of it just based on the reduced power of the hardware. Its size was only possible because the power consumption was reduced so much compared to the PS3. It makes sense that it should be getting smaller, not larger.

I can understand how you wouldn't mind the extra heft being used to PC, but it'd annoy me because I've limited space as I've said, and with the slim consoles that have come out I don't see a reason for them to be so big because they were quiet enough for me as they were now.

Does anyone else find it strange that there isn't any pictures or video of the PS4 internal hardware?

Especially since we are viewing Xbox One unboxing videos and hardware look sees. Are they hiding it for some reason....
    Not particularly. They mightn't have an interest in showing off the hardware yet as they might not deem it important, much like how they didn't think a reveal of the box was important in February. It was just a black box to them, and they could feel the same about this; "you know the specs, it's just a bunch of chips and circuit boards underneath".

That and they could have been making tweaks here and there and they don't want people to see it until it's finalised. That said though, we pretty much know a huge amount about the specs even without the need to see the internals. They've always been very transparent about the tech details since the start.

Maybe we see the internals get revealed in the coming months, who knows? I would be interested in seeing the inside too, but I personally doubt it though, I just don't think they deem it as important and won't just do it because MS did it. It's nothing at all about hiding anything because we got more information about the specs without an internal reveal than we did when the tear down was done with the X1.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭mark_m360

Sharing of digital games is sort of back and logging in a different console will enable anyone else using that console to all gold features once your logged in.

http://majornelson.com/2013/08/09/xbox-one-sharing-digital-games-and-gold/

tbf...the x1 is looking better by the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

It's the same as the PS4, and mostly the same as the 360.
    Not much has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭craze7

Kinect 2 is gonna be sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

craze7 wrote: »
    Kinect 2 is gonna be sweet.

That looks pretty cool. I'd say alot of games will come out using Kinect 2.0, since every xbox will have a kinect sensor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Wow, thats very impressive but unless it can pause the game when I reach for my beverage of choice I can't see myself getting much use out of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭DK224

Dunno if many on here have checked out the preorder preferences with different local shops but was in Smyths Claremorris last week and they had 18 pre-orders for the PS4 against just 3 (mine included) for the Xbox One!

DK224 wrote: »
    Dunno if many on here have checked out the preorder preferences with different local shops but was in Smyths Claremorris last week and they had 18 pre-orders for the PS4 against just 3 (mine included) for the Xbox One!

It makes sense, Irish people were raised on Playstation!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭rob808

It makes sense, Irish people were raised on Playstation!

It come down to price Xbox one cost you 635 a game Xbox live and play and charge kit the ps4 on other hand 510 with a game and psn+ see ps4 doing better.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Play and charge is overrated, I do fine with normal rechargeable batteries and I've always spares as I've them for a lot of different things; TV remotes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Wouldn't be into using batteries in joypads in 2013.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Don't tell me MS aren't providing you with a play+charge kit like Playstation? They really are useless I can't think of any other modern device where you still need to buy batteries.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Meh...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

RasTa wrote: »
    Don't tell me MS aren't providing you with a play+charge kit like Playstation? They really are useless I can't think of any other modern device where you still need to buy batteries.
    i hate play and charge kits, I can always hear distortion of someones mic and I know they are charging while playing. I use the rechargeable battery pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

They never did. And the batteries aren't integrated so they don't need to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Xbox One will include TWO AA batteries

gizmo wrote: »
    That's two AA batteries for FREE. As far as I'm aware that is double the amount of batteries Sony has. Your move, Cerny.

Ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Still common practice, sure the DS XL doesn't even come with a charger!

As for the pre order differences, I'm in Smyths in naas and we have a similar difference but the X1 is catching up, most of the PS4 pre orders cane between the Sony reveal and E3 Tbh

As far as I can tell any micro USB cable you have lying around will turn the joypad into a wired joypad removing the need for batteries altogether. Which is also great news for PC gamers! :D

As far as I can tell any micro USB cable you have lying around will turn the joypad into a wired joypad removing the need for batteries altogether. Which is also great news for PC gamers! :D

Except the micro USB cable is not included in the fecking box! :mad::rolleyes:

Meh...

+1...that Kinect vdeo has nothing new, they showed the same wireframe crap at the launch, none of this stuff matters....what matters is HOW it works with games and the OS/voice commands etc.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

you do know theirs an edit button?

nothing new in the new kinect? did you even watch the video ?

it shows every single joint, were it turns, has more joint dots then on the first one, has basicly night vision. very detailed, 1080p , measures heart rate , widescreen lenses

seriously if your going to troll at least watch the video first. Its almost completely new

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Xbox One can be used without Kinect plugged in. Though they weren't fully clear.
    http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/08/05/ask-microsoft-anything-about-xbox-one

• Advertisement

Xbox One can be used without Kinect plugged in. Though they weren't fully clear.
    http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/08/05/ask-microsoft-anything-about-xbox-one

I'd consider one if this is infact true.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement