Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Xbox One can be used without Kinect plugged in. Though they weren't fully clear.
    http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/08/05/ask-microsoft-anything-about-xbox-one

At this stage they have pretty much gone back on everything they originally set out to do, which is great for us. However, both MS and Sony obviously set out with a plan for their consoles, kinda like Sony's 10-year plan for PS3. With MS gone back on everything, you gotta wonder what the future holds for the console.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Xbox One can be used without Kinect plugged in. Though they weren't fully clear.
    http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/08/05/ask-microsoft-anything-about-xbox-one

Great, now get rid of it and shave €150 off the price and there you go MS, you'll have a serious console there.

Kinect looks very cool, but honestly all that stuff has to be done standing up and/or waving your arms around. I just want to sit on the couch playing a few games with controller in hand. What could it ever bring to the table that way if it's just watching me? It's just a gimmick like the original kinect and the wii. Motion controls are just a waste of time.

So with that in mind, if I bought the One I'd never have the camera connected and that'd just be a waste of an extra €100. Now if they made it optional I can see a lot of people coming around to the console.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

The reason im getting an XB1

New controller cost 100m to make apparently
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/423871/features/the-100m-story-behind-the-xbox-one-controller/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Spends 100 m on controller, still has an external powerbrick...Idiots

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭DK224

1ZRed wrote: »
    So with that in mind, if I bought the One I'd never have the camera connected and that'd just be a waste of an extra €100. Now if they made it optional I can see a lot of people coming around to the console.

The fact the have shipped the Kinect with every console is to encourage developers to take advantage of it knowing every owner has one and not worry that it is an optional addition like on the PS4.

The technological advancements in the new Kinect compared to the previous edition should mean far more scope for increased interaction

"How this gen has worked:
    consumer: "If Microsoft takes away DRM I'll probably get one."

MS: "We have taken away our DRM policies"
    consumer: "still not buying, they shouldn't have done it in the first place."

consumer: "If Microsoft changed their indie policie i would probably buy one"
    MS: "we have changed our indie policy and all consoles will be dev kits"

consumer: "Still not buying, i don't even like indie games"
    consumer: "if they included a headset i would probably buy one"

MS: "We will be including a headset with the xbox one"
    consumer: "still not buying, xbox one has a power brick"

Thats from IGN but seems pretty apt here.
    I, like 95% of other people, dont give a toss about a power brick. Im more interested in games and what the console can do to be honest.

Whats up with people complaining about the power brick? I really don't get it. Big deal.

I was just using it as an example to show where the money could have been spent on other improvements IMO.

The controller is extremely important for the console. I know and understand that but is it really necessary to spend 100 m on it?! They talk about a complete redesign but at the end of the day I don't see a 100m improvement from the 360 pad to the Xbox 1 pad.

I'd rather see some of that 100m being used elsewhere such as reducing the price of the console! If only Kinect wasn't mandatory I'd be sold by now.

.E_C_K_S. wrote: »
    I was just using it as an example to show where the money could have been spent on other improvements IMO.

The controller is extremely important for the console. I know and understand that but is it really necessary to spend 100 m on it?! They talk about a complete redesign but at the end of the day I don't see a 100m improvement from the 360 pad to the Xbox 1 pad.

I'd rather see some of that 100m being used elsewhere such as reducing the price of the console! If only Kinect wasn't mandatory I'd be sold by now.

How do you know this isnt the greatest controller in the history of the world and worth every cent of the 100m?
    Not for a second saying it is but how about actually using it before criticising it?

How do you know this isnt the greatest controller in the history of the world and worth every cent of the 100m?
    Not for a second saying it is but how about actually using it before criticising it?

I find the Xbox 360 controller very comfortable and relatively close to what I'd expect "the greatest controller" in the world to be. I'd have few complaints about it. Don't see a 100m improvement though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The Kinect can obviously only be removed when it's not needed but how many game will not need it in some small part and require it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

If you feel someone is trolling, use the report button.

Personal abuse will receive warnings, infractions and bans. Keep that in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Everyone knew this console launch was gonna bring out the bitter for some reason fanboys.

I am shocked to see how many fellow boardsies are trolling each other over a console brand.. First world problems I think!!

Absolute joke

Anyways I would prefer the kinect be optional but meh we still have a great looking piece of kit coming our way lads

EXCITED :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

just out of interest, is anyone here getting both xbox one and ps4 at launch??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

The reason im getting an XB1

New controller cost 100m to make apparently
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/423871/features/the-100m-story-behind-the-xbox-one-controller/

Well that's the worst reason ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Well that's the worst reason ever.
    Sarcasm detector on the fritz?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A few people here have mentioned they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

niallon wrote: »

As for the pre order differences, I'm in Smyths in naas and we have a similar difference but the X1 is catching up, most of the PS4 pre orders cane between the Sony reveal and E3 Tbh

So there is more than 2 now with mine being the 2nd one :D:D

When can we expect to hear more about the Xbox? Not too clued in on what game expos or conferences are taking place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

When can we expect to hear more about the Xbox? Not too clued in on what game expos or conferences are taking place.

I would say later this month at Gamescom, although we are hearing enough about its constant backtracking already :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭cableguy.ie

Microsoft are having a Gamescom showcase event on the 20th.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Considering it....tryna crunch the numbers, :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Not at launch, but seeing as how Microsoft are pandering to what people want, I'll consider one when their exclusives become too delicious to pass up, which I'm sure will be 6 months to a year down the line from launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭craze7

People who complain about the cost of the Kinect need to get real. Its a feature that the manufacture has decided to include that some people will use it and some wont.

Look at all those feature on your phone and then look at how many you actually use. In my case:

Facetime: Never
    Blu-tooth: Never
    Accelerator: never
    VPN: Never

Now I don't know how much these feature would cost to make but i'm sure the phone would be considerably less with out them. I hear nobody complaining that there phones are packed to the brim with features that are clearly upping the price, so why is it different for a console?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

craze7 wrote: »
    People who complain about the cost of the Kinect need to get real. Its a feature that the manufacture has decided to include that some people will use it and some wont.

So the people that won't use it don't have the right to complain that it's not an option bypass? A one hundred euro paperweight for some, and they are the ones who have to "get real". No. Nope.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

craze7 wrote: »

Look at all those feature on your phone and then look at how many you actually use. In my case:

Facetime: Never
    Blu-tooth: Never
    Accelerator: never
    VPN: Never

Now I don't know how much these feature would cost to make but i'm sure the phone would be considerably less with out them. I hear nobody complaining that there phones are packed to the brim with features that are clearly upping the price, so why is it different for a console?
    But what if you knew that all those unnecessary features on your phone weren't optional and added over 100 euro to the purchase price, when another manufacturer is making a similar phone for a much cheaper price and is giving you the option of purchasing these unnecessary features seperatly instead of ramming them down your throat.

Tbh Kinect 2 is impressive but will never work in the small room I intend to use my console in. I would much prefer to have been given the option of the console on it's own for 100 euro less because it feels like im throwing money down the drain for something I will never get to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    But what if you knew that all those unnecessary features on your phone weren't optional and added over 100 euro to the purchase price, when another manufacturer is making a similar phone for a much cheaper price and is giving you the option of purchasing these unnecessary features seperatly instead of ramming them down your throat.

Tbh Kinect 2 is impressive but will never work in the small room I intend to use my console in. I would much prefer to have been given the option of the console on it's own for 100 euro less because it feels like im throwing money down the drain for something I will never get to use.

kinect 2 works from up to a metre away
    so unless you live in a cardboard box, it would work grand , although you wont be playing kinect sports anytime soon unless you want some bruises :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

JohnBoy26 wrote: »

You can't assume that the bundling of the Kinect is responsible for the price difference between the consoles. In reality the RRP will be the product of many factors and bundling the Kinect is part of a bigger plan with elements beyond gaming.

Even if you won't use it for gaming some of the other features look handy to have. For example on some games I have Y axis inverted, if I have 2 controllers and 3 or more friends over its a pain to go back out into settings and change it each time. With the XB1 and Kinect, each time I get handed a controller it knows it's me and changes to my profile/character/key mappings automatically.

More useful features will come with time as the dev's know that every console has a Kinect so it is worth their time making use of it, unlike now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

Rascasse wrote: »
    You can't assume that the bundling of the Kinect is responsible for the price difference between the consoles.
    Was thinking that. If the PS4 was 50 quid dearer, would the Kinect cost €50?
    MS should have just said the Kinect 2.0 was 'free with any purchase'.:pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement