Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Rascasse wrote: »
    You can't assume that the bundling of the Kinect is responsible for the price difference between the consoles.

Tell that to the people who just want to play Madden/Fifa and Call Of Duty, which I imagine make up a large portion of console users.

Microsoft are going to have trouble convincing people that 100 quid isn't Kinect related and an even harder time convincing people to get on board with it, when they haven't exactly shown any mind blowing motion controlled games on the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

1ZRed wrote: »
    Great, now get rid of it and shave €150 off the price and there you go MS, you'll have a serious console there.

Kinect looks very cool, but honestly all that stuff has to be done standing up and/or waving your arms around. I just want to sit on the couch playing a few games with controller in hand. What could it ever bring to the table that way if it's just watching me? It's just a gimmick like the original kinect and the wii. Motion controls are just a waste of time.

So with that in mind, if I bought the One I'd never have the camera connected and that'd just be a waste of an extra €100. Now if they made it optional I can see a lot of people coming around to the console.
    Spot on. Coming in after a days work I want to sit down and play a game. Such a pain in the hole playing Tiger Woods on the Wii.
    Whats up with people complaining about the power brick? I really don't get it. Big deal.

It's definitely not a dealbreaker, but would be nice not to have one. Some people have a lot of things connected to beside their tv (I have a wii, ps3, sky box, headphones, amp, laptop, baby monitor, hard drive, sky box wireless). So making it that bit neater is nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Cienciano wrote: »
    Spot on. Coming in after a days work I want to sit down and play a game. Such a pain in the hole playing Tiger Woods on the Wii.

It's definitely not a dealbreaker, but would be nice not to have one. Some people have a lot of things connected to beside their tv (I have a wii, ps3, sky box, headphones, amp, laptop, baby monitor, hard drive, sky box wireless). So making it that bit neater is nice!

Whats your electricity bill like at the end of every month? mine is very high so i can only imagin what yours is like:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Rascasse wrote: »
    You can't assume that the bundling of the Kinect is responsible for the price difference between the consoles. In reality the RRP will be the product of many factors and bundling the Kinect is part of a bigger plan with elements beyond gaming
    You have a valid point but I can't help but assume the price difference is mostly down to kinect. I can't see any other reason for it to be 100 euro more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    You have a valid point but I can't help but assume the price difference is mostly down to kinect. I can't see any other reason for it to be 100 euro more expensive.

agree with you there, there surely must be a large part of that 100 (if not more) taken up by the addition of the kinect.

Perhaps MS were caught out thinking the ps4 was going to be the same price, the xbox-one would then have looked like a better deal with a kinect included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Just gonna leave this here, do not shoot the messenger, XBOX One possibly delayed till March 2014

http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/87284/Xbox+One+delayed+until+2014?/

Da fuq?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111!!!!!!!

I doubt that's true. Unless they're going to launch a re-designed beast of a console in March. Even then, that's risky.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Grayditch wrote: »
    I doubt that's true. Unless they're going to launch a re-designed beast of a console in March. Even then, that's risky.

It does have precedent, the PS3 was delayed in Europe till March.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

hmm, I'm not in the market to buy one until this sorta time next year but this sort of a delay is bad news for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Xenji wrote: »
    It does have precedent, the PS3 was delayed in Europe till March.

MS will do whatever is in their power to stop them losing NA to PS4/SONY if they are having production difficulties so as they have showed they are capable of doing anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

the delay is probably to do another 180 on the hardware :L
    if this delay is true i will just stick with a ps4 for late next year
    will wait till MS confirms though, to many rumours

it seems unlikely though, they would lose some serious money all around the globe if this delay happens to be true

edit: http://www.vg247.com/2013/08/14/xbox-one-delayed-into-2014-rumour/
    looks like were it originally came from was a site just looking for some quick hits :L and it worked no doubth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    the delay is probably to do another 180 on the hardware :L
    if this delay is true i will just stick with a ps4 for late next year
    will wait till MS confirms though, to many rumours

it seems unlikely though, they would lose some serious money all around the globe if this delay happens to be true

edit: http://www.vg247.com/2013/08/14/xbox-one-delayed-into-2014-rumour/
    looks like were it originally came from was a site just looking for some quick hits :L and it worked no doubth

The rumoured delay was only about Europe because of the translations that weren't ready. That tweet says that it isn't delayed in the UK and the US which doesn't debunk the rumour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Once again you bítch about everything Xbox related even when it's a positive. Overheating is a huge problem for electronics especially ones like computers and games consoles that use a lot of power and produce a lot of heat. For these devices overheating will always be an issue. Normally, overheating won't be an issue but in certain circumstances external factors will hamper the console's ability to dissipate heat, sometimes severely. Examples of this is where the room it is in is very hot (thing of places like Texas or Spain on their hottest days with no air con), the area it is in is very hot (if you have a lot of heat producing electronics in a small area), poor or no airflow in the area it is in, something covering the air vents, excess dust clogging up the vents and fans etc.

According to the article, with the old Xbox it would once it got too hot it would shut down to prevent damage to the components. With the new one it will be able to reduce the clock speed so that it produces less heat instead of just shutting down. This isn't anything really new or ground breaking, lots of things do this including PCs. It's a good thing though as the alternatives are shutting down the system or letting it continue and frying/melting itself. So which would you prefer, the console to A) still operate but at reduced performance, B) shut itself down or C) melt into a big pile of goop? Answers on the back of a postcard please.

Remember this isn't something that it will do normally, it will do it when the consoles can't dissipate heat as well as it should in normal conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Whats up with people complaining about the power brick? I really don't get it. Big deal.

Drives me bananas - It's easy to hide a cable or make it nice and tidy against a wall but external power blocks in 2013 are just poor design.

S

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

Drives me bananas - It's easy to hide a cable or make it nice and tidy against a wall but external power blocks in 2013 are just poor design.

S

I still don't get the beef about external bricks.

I don't see people complaining about external bricks for laptops despite them drawing less than a third the power of a console.

Don't mind about the power brick. I am impressed when Sony can do without one, but we'll see how they stand the test of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

I don't see people complaining about external bricks for laptops despite them drawing less than a third the power of a console.

I think it is more a case of if SONY can build a console without one why can't MS. :confused:

The same goes for the AA in the X1 controller vs the DShock.

jaffusmax wrote: »
    I think it is more a case of if SONY can build a console without one why can't MS. :confused:

Whatever about the power brick, it's inexcusable that they are still using regular AA batteries in their controllers.

You would think after all the effort they went to trying to integrate the batteries into the back of the new controller that they would use rechargeable batteries instead.

• Advertisement

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Whatever about the power brick, it's inexcusable that they are still using regular AA batteries in their controllers.

You're about to be blown away with how many people on this thread prefer AA batteries.

jaffusmax wrote: »

bingo!....tis also if sony can make a small console why cant microsoft.....:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

A laptop is designed to be mobile, therefore an internal power supply is counterintuitive to this design.

Since the Xbox won't be portable it would make sense for it to be integrated.

You're about to be blown away with how many people on this thread prefer AA batteries.

I prefer AAA bateries....much smaller, so why couldnt MS use triple A? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

For me, the brick is a con (a slight con) against the X1 - not a dealbreaker but not happy about it either. The batteries on the other hand, well they edge closer to being a plus than a minus - again not enough to weigh significantly in it's favour.

If these are the things people choose pick on then not all is going too badly :P

I prefer just plugging in a cable for an hour. Job done.

Would be lovely....except the micro USB cable is not included in the box, a 20 Euro add-on i bet :rolleyes:

Well, a MicroUSB cable is a MicroUSB cable.

As an xbox 360 user I only see them as a hindrance rather than a positive. Obviously other posters will have a different opinion to mine, but id much rather have rechargeable batteries in the controller.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

A spare battery pack keeps me wirelessly 10ft from the screen and in the game.

MS should hire me to help them make the most uncool taglines for their console :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement