Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I need to see the PS4 internals before I compliment them on good internal design.I hope the console works very well.

I'll be really interested to see how they keep the PS4 hardware cool. I find it odd that Sony hasnt shown off the internals, it seems to me that they might not be confident enough to show what they have yet.

I haven't known them to ever show of the internals of any product, apple don't do it either...hell, most electronic companies don't. Seems like business as usual to me ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 988 ✭✭✭deadeye187

Does anyone know will F1 13 be on the next-gen?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Has the boat been missed to preorder a Day One edition of the Xbox One?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

1ZRed wrote: »
    They've been so busy changing and revising policies that they forgot to actually start making them :P

According to Paul Thurrott (HERE), Microsoft is saying it's down to localisation issues. Considering how much play they've given to the voice capabilities of the Kinect 2, it's not all that surprising.

Strangely enough, that's also one of the features that I'm most looking forward to seeing how it works out. Seeing as they are saying that windows 8 apps will work with minimal changes, I wonder will voice control support be automatically built into apps, or will app maker have to support it?

Regarding the internals, it seems that Microsoft is doing a good job reassuring everyone that an RROD won't happen again. As bad a hit that Microsoft took with the RROD problem, I do give them a lot of credit for the warranty extension.

While Sony hasn't shown off the internals of the PS4, the thought that Sony could screw something has not crossed my mind. In fairness to them, they don't get stuff like that wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Xbox One reduced from 21 launch markets, to 13 launch markets just today.
    Officially confirmed:
    http://news.xbox.com/2013/08/xbox-one-confirmed-markets

You were saying?

(Mostly European countries delayed, Ireland is still on the list so it doesn't affect anyone here.)

I would not believe the delay is due to localization issues, it is more likely due to the ESRAM yield issues that have been plaguing the console and slowing down production, they cut the launch markets so they will have enough consoles available in markets they believe they will have a significant share in.

Also remember that if you are not in these launch markets and you buy your console from a market that the console has launched in, it will not work in your own market as it is region locked.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Xenji wrote: »
    I would not believe the delay is due to localization issues, it is more likely due to the ESRAM yield issues that have been plaguing the console and slowing down production, they cut the launch markets so they will have enough consoles available in markets they believe they will have a significant share in.

Also remember that if you are not in these launch markets and you buy your console from a market that the console has launched in, it will not work in your own market as it is region locked.

You got a link to the ESRAM issue, or is that just the rumour that went around ages ago?

Localisation seems to be a valid reason for the delay if you consider that they have to get the voice control perfect in every language. That's going to take an awful lot of time in Europe.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Xenji wrote: »

The region locking was cancelled ages ago. The console will work anywhere.

stevenmu wrote: »
    The region locking was cancelled ages ago. The console will work anywhere.

That was just with games, the console itself is still region locked.

http://www.geekwire.com/2013/xbox-launch-delayed-2014-8-european-markets/
    The delays could cost Microsoft in the markets affected by the change, since Sony’s PS4 is not region-locked like the Xbox One, and will be available for purchase during holiday shopping in those countries

Also mentions it on their official site

http://www.xbox.com/en-IE/xbox-one/pre-order-xbox-one/disclaimer
    Xbox Live requires broadband internet (ISP fees apply), a Microsoft account and an account on Xbox Live in an Xbox One-supported Xbox Live country/region. Additional subscriptions, internet speed and/or requirements apply for some features.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

shuffles03 wrote: »
    Has the boat been missed to preorder a Day One edition of the Xbox One?
    No the boat is still in :)
    Smyths are still taking orders for the Xbox One day 1 edition while gamestop is sold out of day 1 editions for both the PS4 and Xbox One.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

deadeye187 wrote: »
    Does anyone know will F1 13 be on the next-gen?
    no

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-26-f1-2013-release-date-announced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

I think alot of people will need to look at 1/2 years before normal service returns for game developers getting PS4/X1 games out as frequently as they have done for the last Gen!

I would love GTA and Dark Souls 2 on next gen but realistically these type of games wont be out for a while yet on next gen!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

jaffusmax wrote: »
    I think alot of people will need to look at 1/2 years before normal service returns for game developers getting PS4/X1 games out as frequently as they have done for the last Gen!

I would love GTA and Dark Souls 2 on next gen but realistically these type of games wont be out for a while yet on next gen!

oh god i wish they were :pac: but still a good way to end a great gen with gta5 and dark souls 2
    cant imagin to many other games like them been released only on xbox360 or ps3 anymore once next gen releases

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Interesting, I cant seem to find an image of what is actually inside the PS4, can anyone post up an image if there is one.
    I wonder why Sony hasn't released pictures of the PS4 internals, what are they hiding :)
    The PS4 has still not been presented to any media for analysis of what's inside it.
    There are no pictures of its internals while the Xbone has been fully dissected.
    specifically with the PS4 i want to see its internals and how it keeps cool.
    All the posts about console stats are giving me a headache. Saying the PS4 is more powerful because of % this and % that when no one has been given a chance to test the PS4 or even see its internals is ridiculous.
    Does anyone else find it strange that there isn't any pictures or video of the PS4 internal hardware?

Especially since we are viewing Xbox One unboxing videos and hardware look sees. Are they hiding it for some reason....
    I need to see the PS4 internals before I compliment them on good internal design.I hope the console works very well.

I'll be really interested to see how they keep the PS4 hardware cool. I find it odd that Sony hasnt shown off the internals, it seems to me that they might not be confident enough to show what they have yet.
    Nothing for PS4 unfortunately, Sony won't show the internals. Doesn't inspire confidence.
    I look forward to when the PS4 is available and reviewers open it up and review the hardware and cooling capabilities.
    I'd look to see how it keeps its hardware cool in its design. The Xbox one has a very large fan and appears to be a very open design with many vents.
    Spending this kind of money I want to see the inside. I have never bought a custom PC without checking out the internals before hand.

You love your internals Failsafe :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

.E_C_K_S. wrote: »
    You love your internals Failsafe :P

I think he's still holding out for the hope that when they open the box they'll realise the PS4 isn't as powerful as everyone was saying, but there's actually no hope of that happening considering we know about everything inside it already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Xbox One internals.
    xbox-one-hardware.jpg

Nothing for PS4 unfortunately, Sony won't show the internals. Doesn't inspire confidence.

They are sticking with the same layout as the Xbox 360 Slim - seems to be the most thermally efficient design, CPU and GPU combined on one package.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

CatInABox wrote: »
    You got a link to the ESRAM issue, or is that just the rumour that went around ages ago?

CBOAT proven correct....big shock due next week

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=576869

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    i was implying for here :pac: get of your high horse kid

and richard downer i wouldnt blame you if you did report me cause ive reported you to many times , its nice to be nice, give a little take a litte

Lads back on topic in rapid fashion.

Right before Gamescom as well, he is treated like a god on that forum.

There's nearly 7,000 posts in that thread, any chance of linking to the specific one?

This is the same CBOAT that confirmed there would be a downclock? The same CBOAT that confirmed that the pastebin release was correct, despite emphatic denials by Microsoft?

Don't get me wrong, I have no idea what's going on in the background, they could be having huge trouble with the yields, and CBOAT may be correct, but the stuff that he's put out there so far? It's not in any way conclusive.

He confirmed a pastebin that came from a totally anonymous source, and he stated that yields were bad due to ESRAM. From following Anandtech for years, if chip production is going to go wrong, it's going to wrong in the cache/on-board ram, so that's hardly a shocker. People can then point to anything that seems like a delay/trouble with the xbox and say this proves he's right.

In fairness, I asked for a link, and I got a link. It's just a shame that it's the same link that went around the first time.

• Advertisement

stevenmu wrote: »
    There's nearly 7,000 posts in that thread, any chance of linking to the specific one?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=576869&page=126
    ucan remo.ve RUMUR frmo hte thread tittle TEAMMOD. esram yieldls. are "troubling"toput it lightly.

truthfact.

btw youiw lil not njhear abouthing about tech atMS E3 presentation. tech tarbaby (notracistst!) IS TSTICKIER THAN YOU WIL EVER KNOW. I LOOK FORWARF TO READING THE BOOK BY VENTUREBEAT.

theyMSrushed. --caughtoutbysonychangs. leader****failure.p.

helo friedndzs.jun5 2013 quotsablee!.
    more to cmoe nxt wekek

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

xbox has 7-9 milion units for launch http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20130814PD206.html

xbox has 7-9 milion units for launch http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20130814PD206.html

Jaysus, did you go through the internet with a fine tooth comb to find that?

If true, would seemingly put to rest the rumour of low yields. Those numbers seem to be based on anticipated demand rather than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Xbox One internals.

I couldn't give a rats ass what the outside looks like, never mind the inside. Deciding to buy a console based on a photo of the internals is mental!

A piece on the chip inside the Kinect went up on Ars Technica. Probably why it costs so much.

Must admit, the charm offensive/PR campaign that Microsoft are doing is very good. They've done a lot to make up for the complete shambles that was the original messaging, probably enough to get a fair amount of the early adopters to consider it again.

Still, I have two thoughts, and they're both inter-related:
    1. This generation is Sony's to lose. Huge goodwill from the last few years has given them a headstart in this generation.
    2. I'm not even sure anymore if Microsoft consider Sony and the PS4 to be a competitor. I have a feeling that they are more worried about AppleTV/Amazon equivalent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

CatInABox wrote: »
    A piece on the chip inside the Kinect went up on Ars Technica. Probably why it costs so much.

Must admit, the charm offensive/PR campaign that Microsoft are doing is very good. They've done a lot to make up for the complete shambles that was the original messaging, probably enough to get a fair amount of the early adopters to consider it again.

Still, I have two thoughts, and they're both inter-related:
    1. This generation is Sony's to lose. Huge goodwill from the last few years has given them a headstart in this generation.
    2. I'm not even sure anymore if Microsoft consider Sony and the PS4 to be a competitor. I have a feeling that they are more worried about AppleTV/Amazon equivalent.

That's bullshit to be honest. The PS3 was disadvantaged from the start because of price and the year head start the xbox had. That's gone now and many people are just going back to playstation again. Their success later on came from the games they pushed out, it wasn't good will at all, they had to earn it. If anything, this is generation is Sony's to win judging by how focused they are on the games and not the distractions.

I don't think MS took Sony seriously either, that's why they thought they could get away with so much because they thought everyone would just follow them on like sheep without issue. That was a big mistake.
    They're also delusional if they think they can take on Apple and Amazon. They're not game platforms, that'd just be wasted effort because nobody is going to buy a €500 console just for angry birds and Netflix if that's how they want to compete with Apple TV. The audiences that buy a set top box and games console are very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Also €500 device vs €30-100 devices in the AppleTV or Chromecast? Theres no contest to begin with...

miralize wrote: »
    Also €500 device vs €30-100 devices in the AppleTV or Chromecast? Theres no contest to begin with...
    Well you've a choice, you could have

- An Xbox One

or

- Blu-ray player
    - DVR
    - Games console
    - Apple TV / Chromecast
    - PC or NAS box for storing your own media.

Granted, not everyone is going to want all of those capabilities, but for those who do it's nice to have them all in one box.

1ZRed wrote: »
    I think he's still holding out for the hope that when they open the box they'll realise the PS4 isn't as powerful as everyone was saying, but there's actually no hope of that happening considering we know about everything inside it already.
    Actually I just want to know how it stays cool. I won't be buying a PS4 until I can see that a machine so powerful can be cooled effectively. I am surprised this stuns so many people.

I want to see under the hood :cool: granted I am in the small % tile. I don't expect to open it and find Tesco's own branded Ram. :D everything they say that will be inside will be there. It's just the important matter on how it operates together and keeps itself cool.

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »
    I couldn't give a rats ass what the outside looks like, never mind the inside. Deciding to buy a console based on a photo of the internals is mental!

I don't decide to buy a console based on a picture :rolleyes:
    I don't think anyone does. Games, Games Games, how we'll the OS works and that it doesn't burn out. That's how I decide.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement