Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

1ZRed wrote: »
    That's bullshit to be honest. The PS3 was disadvantaged from the start because of price and the year head start the xbox had. That's gone now and many people are just going back to playstation again. Their success later on came from the games they pushed out, it wasn't good will at all, they had to earn it. If anything, this is generation is Sony's to win judging by how focused they are on the games and not the distractions.

I don't think MS took Sony seriously either, that's why they thought they could get away with so much because they thought everyone would just follow them on like sheep without issue. That was a big mistake.
    They're also delusional if they think they can take on Apple and Amazon. They're not game platforms, that'd just be wasted effort because nobody is going to buy a €500 console just for angry birds and Netflix if that's how they want to compete with Apple TV. The audiences that buy a set top box and games console are very different.

Hmm. Not sure if I'm misunderstanding you, or you're misunderstanding me here.

When I said "This generation is Sony's to lose", I mean that they'll have to screw up badly in order to lose it. Saying "it's X to lose" means that I believe that X is going to win, barring any unforeseen mistakes by X.

When I said "Huge goodwill from the last few years has given them a headstart in this generation", I meant that the last 5 years, Sony has rebuilt it's reputation from it's nadir and now is far out in front of Microsoft.

I'm not sure I agree with you on the underestimating Sony part, I just think they misjudged public sentiment drastically. It results in the same thing though, which is "a big mistake."

As to the competition with Apple and Amazon, I'm referring to the "ecosystem" rather than games. The ability to movies, tv shows, music, apps, and games digitally are what I think Microsoft is worried about.

I realise that there is a vast difference between the set top boxes and the Xbox One, including the user base, but I do believe that microsoft will come out with a set top box. Such a set top box will use the same ecosystem as the Xbox One. I think that it will only be announced after the launch of Xbox One. I think that Microsoft has come to see the Xbox 360 and the Xbox One as a sort of trojan horse to get people buying digital products through Microsofts online stores.

This is just opinion. Nothing else. I'm not putting it out there to annoy people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

CatInABox wrote: »
    Jaysus, did you go through the internet with a fine tooth comb to find that?

If true, would seemingly put to rest the rumour of low yields. Those numbers seem to be based on anticipated demand rather than anything else.

A simple Google search my friend....i try to dig up daily news for yáll :)

.E_C_K_S. wrote: »
    You love your internals Failsafe :P

Big fan myself....cant wait to see an X1/PS4 teardown....... :cool:

Personally i like MS hardware....have owned several keyboard/mouse kits and webcams.
    But the X360 RROD really hurt its rep. - good progress, needs to do more:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-08-15/microsoft-s-first-chip-brings-tank-finding-design-to-xbox.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Actually I just want to know how it stays cool. I won't be buying a PS4 until I can see that a machine so powerful can be cooled effectively. I am surprised this stuns so many people.

I want to see under the hood :cool: granted I am in the small % tile. I don't expect to open it and find Tesco's own branded Ram. :D everything they say that will be inside will be there. It's just the important matter on how it operates together and keeps itself cool.
    I learned a lot from this thread and picked up a lot of info over the last while, most likely because I had so much time to kill lately, and from my understanding the PS4 consumes less power than the X1. It's RAM draws less power and the X1 RAM and ESRAM make it more power hungry. If you're not worried about the X1 then I wouldn't be worried about the PS4. Sony wouldn't release a console that can't keep cool effectively. As I said before, they make quality hardware.

If you looked at the picture of the PS3 you'll see that everything is so compact. It's not like the X1 where you open it and can see everything. That's probably why they're not going to bother opening it up because there'll have to dissemble it all in a video for you to see anything of interest. It'd only be cumbersome. Who knows what'll happen between now and release, though.
    CatInABox wrote: »
    Hmm. Not sure if I'm misunderstanding you, or you're misunderstanding me here.

When I said "This generation is Sony's to lose", I mean that they'll have to screw up badly in order to lose it. Saying "it's X to lose" means that I believe that X is going to win, barring any unforeseen mistakes by X.

When I said "Huge goodwill from the last few years has given them a headstart in this generation", I meant that the last 5 years, Sony has rebuilt it's reputation from it's nadir and now is far out in front of Microsoft.

I'm not sure I agree with you on the underestimating Sony part, I just think they misjudged public sentiment drastically. It results in the same thing though, which is "a big mistake."

As to the competition with Apple and Amazon, I'm referring to the "ecosystem" rather than games. The ability to movies, tv shows, music, apps, and games digitally are what I think Microsoft is worried about.

I realise that there is a vast difference between the set top boxes and the Xbox One, including the user base, but I do believe that microsoft will come out with a set top box. Such a set top box will use the same ecosystem as the Xbox One. I think that it will only be announced after the launch of Xbox One. I think that Microsoft has come to see the Xbox 360 and the Xbox One as a sort of trojan horse to get people buying digital products through Microsofts online stores.

This is just opinion. Nothing else. I'm not putting it out there to annoy people.

My misunderstanding of you then. Seems we're more or less on the same page. I don't think they'll release a set top box, at least I don't think they would've before the backlash, I think they put all their eggs in one basket and wanted every demographic with the one console. Even the same of the fecking thing implies that :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

With the XBOX one being released in so few markets, has anybody thought about the game developers. If you are selling a product you want to have as much exposure as possible and also a very large target market, now we know games will sell well for the XBOX One in big markets, the games themselves are not region locked, but the console is, so the potential consumer audience for the XBOX One as it stands is quite a bit smaller than the PS4. Is it possible that developers will side with Sony more as in theory they can make more money off of their games due to Sony's larger potential consumer audience.

I am sure that CD Projeckt Red and Andrzej Sapkowski cannot be happy that a game that was developed in Poland and the source material written by a Polish author, as Poland was not even included on the original announced list and that their countrymen will be unable to play the game unless they have a PS4 or this this the reason why it is not a Xbox Console exclusive like the Witcher 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Xenji wrote: »
    With the XBOX one being released in so few markets, has anybody thought about the game developers. If you are selling a product you want to have as much exposure as possible and also a very large target market, now we know games will sell well for the XBOX One in big markets, the games themselves are not region locked, but the console is, so the potential consumer audience for the XBOX One as it stands is quite a bit smaller than the PS4. Is it possible that developers will side with Sony more as in theory they can make more money off of their games due to Sony's larger potential consumer audience.

I am sure that CD Projeckt Red and Andrzej Sapkowski cannot be happy that a game that was developed in Poland and the source material written by a Polish author, as Poland was not even included on the original announced list and that their countrymen will be unable to play the game unless they have a PS4 or this this the reason why it is not a Xbox Console exclusive like the Witcher 2.

The uptake of either console in Poland will be minimal. Consumer electronics are about the same price there as they are here with the average industrial wage being around 1/4 of ours, maybe even less. Their target market was never going to be there. They are PC gamers.

Potential audience is only relevant in markets that can afford your stuff. Where MS really lose out is in Asia. Western Europe and NA are fairly maxed out in that regard.

The uptake of either console in Poland will be minimal. Consumer electronics are about the same price there as they are here with the average industrial wage being around 1/4 of ours, maybe even less. Their target market was never going to be there. They are PC gamers.

Potential audience is only relevant in markets that can afford your stuff. Where MS really lose out is in Asia. Western Europe and NA are fairly maxed out in that regard.

They will also lose out in the countries they have decided to delay, Sweden is the 8th largest consumer of videogames per capita in the world, if as some people here claim and there is not much between the consoles, only the fanboys will wait till March of next year to get a Xbox over a PS

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Wouldn't have expected Sweden to be that high. Do you have a link for that?

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Wouldn't have expected Sweden to be that high. Do you have a link for that?

Should change that to 8th, need to put my glasses back on, but here it is

http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-top-ten/countries-spending-most-on-console-and-computer-game.html

Also here

https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?docid=1GPJJgZOsmA-NsdL_m3lBnHooNJotnV_p_CFhmfc#rows:id=1

• Advertisement

Still, though, wouldn't have expected it that high. Appreciated.

They will also lose out in the countries they have decided to delay, Sweden is the 8th largest consumer of videogames per capita in the world, if as some people here claim and there is not much between the consoles, only the fanboys will wait till March of next year to get a Xbox over a PS

Absolutely, no argument on the Sweden front, but potential markets are overstated. Poland, though, are less likely to really take up either console. Wouldn't be overly worried about MS's ability to make money from the markets they've identified. They haven't earned the unflattering M$ moniker for nothing.

Also, that Sweden figure is relatively low, from a gross figure POV. They spend the 8th most per capita but it's quite low as a gross figure due to their low population. Australia and France are under them on that list but they spend 2 times and 6 times as much respectively as a market.

Absolutely, no argument on the Sweden front, but potential markets are overstated. Poland, though, are less likely to really take up either console. Wouldn't be overly worried about MS's ability to make money from the markets they've identified. They haven't earned the unflattering M$ moniker for nothing.

I agree with you, but I am more on about what the game developers make out of everything in the end, if they see they can make more money developing games for the PS4 due to a wider consumer reach, will that impact their decision on what console they want their game to come out on.

I agree with you, but I am more on about what the game developers make out of everything in the end, if they see they can make more money developing games for the PS4 due to a wider consumer reach, will that impact their decision on what console they want their game to come out on.

No. Because then they'll be doing what you are saying they may be against; alienating an entire market - this time, the owners of every Xbox. They'll release on every platform that earns them more money.

Considering that game development is so long, and the delay not that long, the effects aren't going to have any bearing. Besides, who is expecting a global ps4 release?

Considering that game development is so long, and the delay not that long, the effects aren't going to have any bearing. Besides, who is expecting a global ps4 release?

The PS4 will not be region locked, no matter what country you are in you can use a PS4, the XBOX can only be used in 13 markets as it stands, so you as a developer look at that and see you have the whole world possibly being able to play your game with Sony and only 13 markets with Microsoft, I know it is a very simple analogy, but it is true at the moment.

I don't think the import market will be *that* big.

I don't think the import market will be *that* big.

I am not on about games, I mean the console itself, you can only use the XBOX in those 13 countries, it will not work outside of them.

The PS4 isn't likely to get a global release, so the only way people around the globe could be playing is through import, what am I missing?

The PS4 isn't likely to get a global release, so the only way people around the globe could be playing is through import, what am I missing?

Yeah sorry my bad, but if you wanted the PS4 bad enough, at least you could import it, unlike the Xbox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭mark_m360

Yeah sorry my bad, but if you wanted the PS4 bad enough, at least you could import it, unlike the Xbox.

Why can't you import an Xbox One? It is also region free like the ps4.

Once you are in an Xbox live region, it will work no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

mark_m360 wrote: »
    Why can't you import an Xbox One? It is also region free like the ps4.

As far as I'm aware the update you need to do at the start can only be done in the countries it's launched in.

Just reading this now: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-08-15-microsoft-explains-how-xbox-one-importing-could-work
    "When the console launches this November, we will support Xbox One in 13 markets. Xbox One may be used in all countries, including the non-launched markets. In addition, Xbox One games are not region locked. Any Xbox One game purchased at retail can be used in any country on any Xbox One," said Microsoft in a statement.

"That said, there needs to be a valid payment method corresponding to a supported launch country in order for any transactions to occur over Xbox Live, and some content may not be accessible outside launch markets due to geographic content restrictions imposed by content right holders."

Still, though, I don't think the import market is big, anyway.

Just reading this now: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-08-15-microsoft-explains-how-xbox-one-importing-could-work

Posted this earlier today

That was just with games, the console itself is still region locked.

http://www.geekwire.com/2013/xbox-la...opean-markets/

The delays could cost Microsoft in the markets affected by the change, since Sony’s PS4 is not region-locked like the Xbox One, and will be available for purchase during holiday shopping in those countries

Also mentions it on their official site

http://www.xbox.com/en-IE/xbox-one/p...one/disclaimer

Xbox Live requires broadband internet (ISP fees apply), a Microsoft account and an account on Xbox Live in an Xbox One-supported Xbox Live country/region. Additional subscriptions, internet speed and/or requirements apply for some features.

I was literally just about to post this. While its not ideal, you wouldn't have long to wait if your country is in the next launch cycle in 2014.

Xenji, neither link is working for me.

Xenji, neither link is working for me.

They did not copy over right, just gonna link the post

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86007669&postcount=4096

The delays could cost Microsoft in the markets affected by the change, since Sony’s PS4 is not region-locked like the Xbox One, and will be available for purchase during holiday shopping in those countries

Xbox Live requires broadband internet (ISP fees apply), a Microsoft account and an account on Xbox Live in an Xbox One-supported Xbox Live country/region. Additional subscriptions, internet speed and/or requirements apply for some features.

The console itself is region free, the games are region free. Xbox One is region free, just like PS4.

What will not work at launch if you were to import it is the Xbox Live features, as they will not flip the switch in these countries until 2014 because as you rightly say, the Live features are only supported in the 13 launch markets.

That being said, you could import the Xbox One from any of the launch countries and play disc based games imported from any of the launch countries.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I think you missed this part in the eurogamer article Xenji:
    Eurogamer wrote:
    it explained that while the platform and all of its games are region-free, it will still require online payments in a supported type of currency.

Seems to me that you'll be able to import the console without issue, and as long as you have a way of paying for things in an Xbox Live area, then the online should work fine as well.

Seems to me that it's exactly the same as the 360.

• Advertisement

mark_m360 wrote: »
    The console itself is region free, the games are region free. Xbox One is region free, just like PS4.

What will not work at launch if you were to import it is the Xbox Live features, as they will not flip the switch in these countries until 2014 because as you rightly say, the Live features are only supported in the 13 launch markets.

That being said, you could import the Xbox One from any of the launch countries and play disc based games imported from any of the launch countries.

SNAP! (that's all I wanted to say really, but I hate meaningless posts, so: )

I read the article so that Xbox live will work on an imported console so long as you've got a way of paying from an Xbox One country. Although, knowing Microsoft....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement