Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

CatInABox wrote: »
    I think you missed this part in the eurogamer article Xenji:

Seems to me that you'll be able to import the console without issue, and as long as you have a way of paying for things in an Xbox Live area, then the online should work fine as well.

Seems to me that it's exactly the same as the 360.

Strange up till today most sites were claiming it was region locked, looks like Microsoft has backtracked again on something, so much confusion they are causing for themselves, if it turns out to be a great console, that's cool, but if it goes tits up they only have themselves to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Xenji wrote: »
    You posted this to illustrate your point: Xbox Live requires broadband internet (ISP fees apply), a Microsoft account and an account on Xbox Live in an Xbox One-supported Xbox Live country/region. Additional subscriptions, internet speed and/or requirements apply for some features.

Xbox live requires and xbox one requires are very different statements.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Xenji wrote: »
    Strange up till today most sites were claiming it was region locked, looks like Microsoft has backtracked again on something, so much confusion they are causing for themselves, if it turns out to be a great console, that's cool, but if it goes tits up they only have themselves to blame.

Yeah, it does change a lot, but to be honest, it seems that most of it comes out of their decision to row back on their original all digital plans.

Basically, in years to come, Microsoft and the Xbox One launch will be taught in schools and colleges as an example of a complete and utter marketing disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

mark_m360 wrote: »
    I was literally just about to post this. While its not ideal, you wouldn't have long to wait if your country is in the next launch cycle in 2014.
    I don't think many people will wait though, and instead will opt for the ps4 imo.

That article I posted in a previous post (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-08-15-microsoft-explains-how-xbox-one-importing-could-work) has been updated.
    Microsoft PR fellow Albert Penello has explained that the Xbox One delay was due to implementing voice support for various languages into the dashboard.

When a NeoGAF user postulated that Microsoft was discouraging importing because it wanted to make sure there were enough copies left for those in supported territories, Penello responded, "launch volumes are not really an issue. This was simply a software issue in terms of getting local language and voice support in the dash. It's pretty straightforward, but disappointing I know for people who are missing launch."

"Obviously, I support people waiting for the official supported launch in the affected markets for the best experience," he added.

He also noted that all games are "worldwide signed" i.e. region-free, unlike Xbox 360 titles, and "the console will work everywhere (keeping in mind power supplies)."

"You can use one of the 13 digital marketplaces corresponding to our launch markets, assuming you have a valid payment instrument for those countries. Lots of people in Europe specifically travel, move, and visit family," he continued before slyly adding "Now, of course, if you were using Pre-Paid cards..."

Despite all these worldwide benefits, Penello noted that music and videos can be geo-restricted due to licensing issues. "e.g. Netflix works only in supported countries)."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Pushtrak wrote: »

As I suspected, the voice recognition will have to be perfect in all regions, not just in English. Considering that Siri has been around for ages now, it still only supports 15 languages worldwide.

Am I weird in that I think that this is going to be one of the stand out features on the Xbox One?

While I'm loathe to enter into the whole "console war", does anyone else get a weird vibe from that Eurogamer article? It seems to strain credulity that anyone could believe that buying a game on one console automatically gives you the same one on the next gen (or vice versa), which is why the article seems so off to me.

Either it's bias, over-entitlement, or something else that I can't figure out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

I've searched through the forum and can't find the latest discusssion on release day availability etc.

Is anywhere still taking pre-orders for guaranteed pickup on the day of release? I'm not pushed about having a "Day One" console. Just want 2 controllers and COD Ghosts. I can't imagine a €499 console with fly off the shelves "in this day and age"?

Thanks, appreciate any response...

I've searched through the forum and can't find the latest discusssion on release day availability etc.

Is anywhere still taking pre-orders for guaranteed pickup on the day of release? I'm not pushed about having a "Day One" console. Just want 2 controllers and COD Ghosts. I can't imagine a €499 console with fly off the shelves "in this day and age"?

Thanks, appreciate any response...

You can still pre-order Day One Editions from Smyths and Gamestop, although you can only order online with Gamestop now.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 988 ✭✭✭deadeye187

Is there a thread with the games coming out for the xbox?..can`t find it!

deadeye187 wrote: »
    Is there a thread with the games coming out for the xbox?..can`t find it!

No, but you can find the games here

http://ie.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/Xbox_One_Launch_Titles

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

While I'm loathe to enter into the whole "console war", does anyone else get a weird vibe from that Eurogamer article? It seems to strain credulity that anyone could believe that buying a game on one console automatically gives you the same one on the next gen (or vice versa), which is why the article seems so off to me.

Either it's bias, over-entitlement, or something else that I can't figure out.

and didn't EA drop the whole online pass thing ?

Online pass and season pass are different things. Online pass gets you online, season pass gets you all the DLC that is advertised as coming in the pass. Like 4 pieces of DLC content, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

jaffusmax wrote: »

So, am I the only one that thinks this looks great?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I like the look of both the Xbox One and PS4, both very sleek.

I like the look of both the Xbox One and PS4, both very sleek.

Guess I'm not then :)

Yes, other than size, there's not much to separate the two in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

there's not much to separate the two in my eyes.

Let me help you

XBO: [[]]
    PS4: [[]]

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

Dont really care about the look of the consoles, im more impressed with the reviews the xb1 controller is getting which by the sounds of it are positive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I wouldn't go as far as to say it looks great. I think it looks decent, and because it's quite a plain design I think it'll continue to look decent for may years to come. The PS4 looks better IMHO, but it's a bit more stylish so may look a bit dated in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭CS Hasuki

Leaning towards PS4 myself, might get both. Have a high end pc so will probably wait until there are a good selection of exclusives.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Nolars wrote: »
    Dont really care about the look of the consoles, im more impressed with the reviews the xb1 controller is getting which by the sounds of it are positive.

The joypad looks sexy as hell and really comfortable, the rumble is supposed to be fantastic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

boxy....kinect is huge, wonder what that new mystery port is....was not on the major nelson unboxing from last week....it dosent conform to any port type i know......

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Mystery port?

stevenmu wrote: »
    Mystery port?

See vid....a new type of port on back panel, dunno what it is :confused:

Looks like an old type B usb port, but why anything these days would have that, I have no idea. My printer has one, but nothing else that I know of.

Also, at the start of the video, they mentioned things that they can't talk about, so now I'm wondering what.

Also, was this Xbox One provided by Microsoft, or did a Dev pop in with one?

Looks like an old type B usb port, but why anything these days would have that, I have no idea. My printer has one, but nothing else that I know of.

Also, at the start of the video, they mentioned things that they can't talk about, so now I'm wondering what.

Also, was this Xbox One provided by Microsoft, or did a Dev pop in with one?

I wonder if its a newer rev. then the model shows by Major Nelson?...which one is current?

Major Nelson = no mystery port
    IGN = new mystery port

Which version is retail version :confused:

• Advertisement

I wonder if its a newer rev. then the model shows by Major Nelson?...which one is current?

Major Nelson = no mystery port
    IGN = new mystery port

Which version is retail version :confused:

From what I've read, it's a port for updating the firmware without internet support. Not on the final version.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement