Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

ciaran75 wrote: »
    Thanks Stone Deaf 4evr,

I see gamestop.ie will still allow you to pre-order a day one console on their website.
    wonder why you can do it online and not in store.

last time i pre-ordered something with gamestop it was a disaster, battlefield 3 arrived on the tuesday all my friends went into shop on friday night and bought it so a bit wary of using them again. would prefer to buy in shop and pickup on day of release but may not be possible.

Can anyone confirm if Gamestop's online store are still allowing preorders for the Day One Xbox One? i've rung a few stores and they're all out. Also, if you preorder online, do you have to fork up the full amount now?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

i just pre-ordered my copy in gamestop in liffey street, no problem at all.

not the official 'day one' edition but is guarenteed to be there day one of release.
    comes with fifa

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

shuffles03 wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm if Gamestop's online store are still allowing preorders for the Day One Xbox One? i've rung a few stores and they're all out. Also, if you preorder online, do you have to fork up the full amount now?

I put an order through gamestop.ie yesterday and emailed to see what the story is on availability, got this response:
    We cannot guarantee that everybody will receive a console on day one as Microsoft have said that they along with Sony cannot keep up with the demand of pre sells. We will do our hardest to secure consoles for everybody but at the moment cannot assure everyone that they will get on on Day one.
    Kind Regards

And no, you are charged just before it ships.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

A preview of the UI just went up, and I have to say, having the Xbox One double as a harmony remote? Most excellent.

Check out the verge here.

EDIT: Might as well include the link that the verge got their info from: Here

Also, I read somewhere that the kinect is the primary device for IR blasting, and that the IR blaster dongle is only used if your devices are in a cabinet. I have no idea where I read that, so take it with as much salt as you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

I really don't like the look of this. Seems like it'll be horrible to navigate with a controller, might be better with Kinect.
    menusmall.jpg

As for Kinect having an IR blaster, thats great if it works well, but I've yet to find a reliable IR blaster, and with Kinect they plan on bouncing signals around the room so sounds like its more unreliable than direct line of sight.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I really don't like the look of this. Seems like it'll be horrible to navigate with a controller, might be better with Kinect.

As for Kinect having an IR blaster, thats great if it works well, but I've yet to find a reliable IR blaster, and with Kinect they plan on bouncing signals around the room so sounds like its more unreliable than direct line of sight.

Well, that's the pinned page, so I'd say you have a fair bit of scope to change that around, like on the 360. In fact, if you want a demonstration of how to get around on the Xbox One, I'd say the 360 would be a good example.

I'd say that it would be easier with the Kinect voice control, but that's predicated on Microsoft actually getting voice recognition working :)

What would be the difference between a remote and what the Kinect would do? I know from experience that if I press a button on my harmony, it will manage to connect, regardless of where I've got it pointed, so if it works as well as that, it should be good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

CatInABox wrote: »
    What would be the difference between a remote and what the Kinect would do? I know from experience that if I press a button on my harmony, it will manage to connect, regardless of where I've got it pointed, so if it works as well as that, it should be good enough.

A normal IR remote requires direct line of sight of what it's trying to control.
    What Kinect does it sends out a beam and bounces the signal of the walls to get it to return to what it's trying to control. If this works well then it sounds great, but I can't see it being 100% reliable.

A normal IR remote requires direct line of sight of what it's trying to control.
    What Kinect does it sends out a beam and bounces the signal of the walls to get it to return to what it's trying to control. If this works well then it sounds great, but I can't see it being 100% reliable.

Would depend upon the set up of the room then. Seems like my set up is conducive to it then, seeing as I'm regularly sitting on my Harmony and it suddenly swapping inputs on the tv.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I was about to say that $10 is about the difference in price between the games so you not losing out on anything by buying the 360 version now, but I just looked over at Amazon US and while this is still a great deal you are actually paying $10 extra as both version of the games in most cases are $59.99. Now this is still a great deal but I'm rather piss that amzon UK charge more for next gen; £39.99 & £49.99.

$59.99 for COD on 360, $59.99 for the ONE

Whereas Amazon UK

£39.99 for 360, and £49.99 for ONE.

Big ol **** you europe going on there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

was always going to get the XB1 but haven't seen any XB1 battlefield 4 bundles, everywhere just seem to sell the console for €499 and game for €60 so no savings at all. thought the whole idea of getting a game bundled with console was to save cash.

do you think they will have more bundles closer to the time?

Also, if you pre-order before launch but is not a day one will you still get fifa for free?

Cheers,
    gamestop said the bundles will be sorted nearer the time of launch

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I got the same from xtravision yesterday, tried gamestop the day before and they were only taking orders for the second batch of X1's probably 2014 delivery.

I was a bit shocked really considering it doesn't even have a release date yet!

Symths are still taking day 1 xbox orders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Has anything at all been said about the TV availability for the UK/Ireland? I assume we'll just be muddled in with the UK, which is probably a good thing as I imagine they'd be the next market after the US to get the TV thing sorted with the One?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭-aurora

I tried to pre order in GameStop and they said I'm too late to get one at release. The Microsoft irish website are still taking day one pre orders though. Has anyone ordered from them before? Would it get delivered on the release day?

-aurora wrote: »
    I tried to pre order in GameStop and they said I'm too late to get one at release. The Microsoft irish website are still taking day one pre orders though. Has anyone ordered from them before? Would it get delivered on the release day?
    Symths are still taking guaranteed day 1 Xbox orders.

Symths are still taking guaranteed day 1 Xbox orders.

Which smyths?

-aurora wrote: »
    Which smyths?
    Smyths toys, in my case I preordered in their Jervis street, Dublin store a few days ago. I was talking to a guy there and he said they have many Xbox One day 1 editions available in their store network.

Smyths toys, in my case I preordered in their Jervis street, Dublin store a few days ago. I was talking to a guy there and he said they have many Xbox One day 1 editions available in their store network.
    Cheers for that ill try my local smyths

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

gamestop said the bundles will be sorted nearer the time of launch

if a battlefield 4 bundle comes out do you think you would be able to change your pre-order to a bundle. you reckon they'd be cheaper?

Cheers,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

if a battlefield 4 bundle comes out do you think you would be able to change your pre-order to a bundle. you reckon they'd be cheaper?

Cheers,

They told me to once the pre order is done you can choose your bundles after, but to be safe he said pre order the games you want in case they are not included in the bundle, the gospel according to GameStop guy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭DK224

Varik wrote: »
    I was about to say that $10 is about the difference in price between the games so you not losing out on anything by buying the 360 version now, but I just looked over at Amazon US and while this is still a great deal you are actually paying $10 extra as both version of the games in most cases are $59.99. Now this is still a great deal but I'm rather piss that amzon UK charge more for next gen; £39.99 & £49.99.

$59.99 for COD on 360, $59.99 for the ONE

Whereas Amazon UK

£39.99 for 360, and £49.99 for ONE.

Big ol **** you europe going on there.
    Don't forget the console will be region free so buying those games at dollar prices on a trip to the States or at Amazon.com is always an option!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

They told me to once the pre order is done you can choose your bundles after, but to be safe he said pre order the games you want in case they are not included in the bundle, the gospel according to GameStop guy

sounds like good advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

was anyone else watching that xbox live show from gamescom their a few minutes ago?
    it looked like the most awkward live event ive ever seen :L no release date so im dissapointed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    was anyone else watching that xbox live show from gamescom their a few minutes ago?
    it looked like the most awkward live event ive ever seen :L no release date so im dissapointed

To be honest, I have given up watching Microsoft's events and just look for the analysis afterwards. They are so cardboard and fake that it becomes too cringeworthy to watch.

Not that zoom-gate helped Sony's conference much the other night!

No release date is a surprise though. When I heard that they had a show scheduled for today, it seemed like a no-brainer to announce that the XBO would be coming in early November. Seeing as they kept quiet, does anyone else think that they simply cannot beat Sony's dates?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 988 ✭✭✭deadeye187

so where is the best place to pre-order the xbox-one?

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    All gaming events/announcements are so cheesy and awkward. Its like they cannot find a single person who is passionate about either the games systems and/or the games. They don't even sound like gamers when they are speaking.

Why don't I believe them when they say they are "super pumped to play the console/game when its released"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Why don't I believe them when they say they are "super pumped to play the console/game when its released"

Because they've been playing them for ages already!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Otacon wrote: »
    To be honest, I have given up watching Microsoft's events and just look for the analysis afterwards. They are so cardboard and fake that it becomes too cringeworthy to watch.

Not that zoom-gate helped Sony's conference much the other night!

No release date is a surprise though. When I heard that they had a show scheduled for today, it seemed like a no-brainer to announce that the XBO would be coming in early November. Seeing as they kept quiet, does anyone else think that they simply cannot beat Sony's dates?
    Maybe in the us it will be hard to beat sony's release date but in Europe if Microsoft are going to stick to a november launch it won't have much to beat as the ps4 is going to be launching on the second last day of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

All gaming events/announcements are so cheesy and awkward. Its like they cannot find a single person who is passionate about either the games systems and/or the games. They don't even sound like gamers when they are speaking.

they completely forgot in some parts which person they were going to next :pac: i couldnt help but cringe at it :L show was less then an hour long they could of at least read over their lines:pac:

• Advertisement

I only watched that show for about 5 minutes, the stream was just so poor, however, I really think I saw the high light of it, and possibly all video games conferences:

The set up was that Ruud Gullit and Freddie Ljundberg were in a competition were the interviewer mimed the celebration of other "Legends". First the two lads had absolutely no idea who the Steven Gerrard celebration was meant to be, and then, when they eventually decided that Ruud had won, the interviewer pulls a "Golden Sock" out of nowhere.

The two lads burst into fits of laughter, asking what the hell that's meant to be, and quite rightly too, because it looked like a two foot long dildo.

Made my day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement