Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

A read for the nerds (like me)
    5 billion transistors integrated within XB1 chip; possibly the largest chip manufactured to date, with a comparable number to Intel’s 64-core Xeon Phi coprocessor for supercomputers

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2047482/xbox-ones-massive-custom-cpu-can-pick-you-out-of-a-lineup.html

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

it has 47mb of embedded RAM!\\

going to struggle if that's the case:) (47MB)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Yeah specs are great, brilliant... fantastic.

How well do the games play on the unit?

Achilles wrote: »
    Yeah specs are great, brilliant... fantastic.

How well do the games play on the unit?

i doubt when anyone can actually answer that question there will be any discussion on specs.

until then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

mossym wrote: »
    going to struggle if that's the case:) (47MB)
    47MB of on die cache is a HUGE amount

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

xbox-one-gpu-diagram-100051501-orig.png

I'm going to work Swizzle into as many conversations as I can get away with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I'm going to work Swizzle into as many conversations as I can get away with.
    If the Xbox One hangs or crashes in that component of the CPU is that because the Swizzle Sticks?

Meesared wrote: »
    47MB of on die cache is a HUGE amount

it is indeed. read the bit i quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

wonder will it now play MKV files with HD audio so i can ditch my media player and it will finally be an all in one entertainment system

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Ya I really want to know if either console is gonna fully support mkvs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

MS probably have had to include cinavia as part of their blu ray licence as it's mandatory in all players now, the PS4 will have it as did the PS3.

For anyone wanting the play MKVs or any other HD suitable container it's likely going to not work out as you'd like.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

Varik wrote: »
    MS probably have had to include cinavia as part of their blu ray licence as it's mandatory in all players now, the PS4 will have it as did the PS3.

For anyone wanting the play MKVs or any other HD suitable container it's likely going to not work out as you'd like.

yeah had my doubts but hopefully they'll surprise us.

Varik wrote: »

Probably not :(

Full support would be just lovely, but if PS4 supports streaming MKVs as the PS3 did, that'll suffice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

maximoose wrote: »
    Ya I really want to know if either console is gonna fully support mkvs

+1.....if the X1 does and the PS4 dosent, i'm getting an xbox, or vice versa.
    .mkv support is a major selling point for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

.mkv is the standard format of piracy. Might as well at add torrent client whilst they're at it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

.mkv is the standard format of piracy. Might as well at add torrent client whilst they're at it.

I suppose ripping my own stuff is piracy :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Not sure if this was posted, but info from a VERY reliable insider that frequents neogaf with leaks in broken english well before the big sites get them. Here's his latest leak translated:
    For the following questions please assume that Microsoft Xbox One will offer a digital marketplace where you can purchase and sell digital video games.

New digital marketplace where you can purchase and sell digital video games:
    -This will be available through the systems’ premium subscription service (such as Xbox Live Gold/Playstation Plus)
    -You will have the ability to purchase and sell pre-owned digital video games.
    -You will have the ability to sell back/trade in your versions of digital games you have purchased.
    -You will have the ability to buy pre-owned digital versions of games through the online marketplace.
    -You will have a variety of prices and features available to purchase for pre-owned digital versions of games.
    -All transactions will take place via digital downloads/transfers within your next generation gaming system’s digital store.
    -New full game digital downloads will still be available, as will physical (disc) versions sold at retail stores/websites.
    -Pre-owned disc versions of games will be able to be played on the next generation gaming system for free.
    -There will be a marketplace service fee charged to the seller when they sell a digital version of a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

-You will have the ability to buy pre-owned digital versions of games through the online marketplace.

:|

Yeah... how does that make sense

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

You're selling your license to use the game.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

If the Xbox One hangs or crashes in that component of the CPU is that because the Swizzle Sticks?
    I'm sure there will be a secondary serial system swizzle to sort out such snags.

He said it was a survey that microsoft sent out to specific members of the games industry. I guess it could work along the lines of the way trading cards on steam works. Microsoft/devs get a cut of the sale.

For example, You put your game up for sale, negotiate a price with a buyer, buyer pays via XBL - you get a credit to your account minus a percentage for the transaction that goes to MS/Devs.

Think eBay. If nobody is selling a used copy of Game X - Game X is only available online as new and the full price. The seller loses the licence to play that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'd never buy a pre-owned digital game. Pixels missing and the multiplayer maps all worn.

Tinie wrote: »
    Not sure if this was posted, but info from a VERY reliable insider that frequents neogaf with leaks in broken english well before the big sites get them. Here's his latest leak translated:

Sounds like some excellent ideas in there!.....digital pre owned sales system. Trade in your digital games and get a discount on another game.

A digital second-hand market place!....it sounds brilliant!, if done right this could be the answer to Gamestop!!

BUT....as always pricing will make or break it!

Grayditch wrote: »
    I'd never buy a pre-owned digital game. Pixels missing and the multiplayer maps all worn.

:p

Sounds like some excellent ideas in there!.....digital pre owned sales system. Trade in your digital games and get a discount on another game.

A digital second-hand market place!....it sounds brilliant!, if done right this could be the answer to Gamestop!!

BUT....as always pricing will make or break it!
    Well if it goes the way of the steam trading cards market, it could be win win for everyone.

For example, the devs/MS get their full price when the original buyer buys the game. When he goes to sell it, he gets some credit back to buy more games/DLC etc. on the market, microsoft/devs get a cut from the sale of the pre owned game, the buyer gets a digital game at a knockdown price.

If this is going to be a new feature, whether they allow the sellers to set their own price, im not sure. If so, it'll lead to a lot of bargains being picked up on the market with sellers competing prices to try and flog their game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Have decided to preorder an Xbox One, and (possibly controversially) have decided to go all digital this time around. After years building up a catalog of games on steam, I just have no interest in boxed games anymore.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I suppose ripping my own stuff is piracy :cool:

Legally, it is not that anyone would throw you in jail over it. As he says though, MKV is seen as the file of choice for pirates so I can't see them allowing it. With the app store being more open it could be possible we see VLC or some other app that will support MKVs make it onto the system. VLC are making a Windows 8 version that will support RT so it's not that much of a stretch.
    Tinie wrote: »

That sounds pretty awesome. I'd love to see steam get something like this on the PC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

CatInABox wrote: »
    Have decided to preorder an Xbox One, and (possibly controversially) have decided to go all digital this time around. After years building up a catalog of games on steam, I just have no interest in boxed games anymore.

i would do the same
    but im afraid of how how the prices will be
    MS digital games on games on demand are outrageous
    for example halo4 on demand is something like 65e
    and cod4mw is something like 30e
    their prices are always higher then retail
    so im just hoping their prices for online will be the same as in store

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement