Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    i would do the same
    but im afraid of how how the prices will be
    MS digital games on games on demand are outrageous
    for example halo4 on demand is something like 65e
    and cod4mw is something like 30e
    their prices are always higher then retail
    so im just hoping their prices for online will be the same as in store
    I'd go digital if the prices were the same, but they threw in all the pre order bonuses that usually come.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

That sounds pretty awesome. I'd love to see steam get something like this on the PC.

You'll get your wish soon enough, I'd say. There was a European court ruling last year that upheld the right to resell a digital product/license. Now Valve themselves are getting sued for not updating their terms and conditions to reflect it.

See here for more details

Also, code discovered in the steam software hints at a sharing feature, which I think is related. See here.

Personally speaking, I don't know why they haven't already done so. Surely everyone can see that a publisher/developer getting a cut of a second hand sale is better for everyone. So long as resale prices remain the same, the only people losing out are the gamestops of the world.

Note that I haven't seen any mention of either rumour since then.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    i would do the same
    but im afraid of how how the prices will be
    MS digital games on games on demand are outrageous
    for example halo4 on demand is something like 65e
    and cod4mw is something like 30e
    their prices are always higher then retail
    so im just hoping their prices for online will be the same as in store

Just checked there:

Xbox.com
    Halo 4 = £39.99
    COD:MW = £19.99

Game.co.uk
    Halo 4 = £39.99
    COD:MW = £32.99

Amazon.co.uk
    Halo 4 = £29.90
    COD:MW = £20.99

gamestop.co.uk
    Halo 4 = £34.97
    COD:MW = £15.97 (Not in stock)

Price differences aren't as extreme as I'd thought they'd be actually. You can of course get better prices out there than the Xbox website, but for me, nowadays at least, the ability to have all my games stored digitally is worth a small price premium.

Also, I'm hopeful or the future with the steam guy joining Microsoft recently

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

CatInABox wrote: »
    Just checked there:

Xbox.com
    Halo 4 = £39.99
    COD:MW = £19.99

Game.co.uk
    Halo 4 = £39.99
    COD:MW = £32.99

Amazon.co.uk
    Halo 4 = £29.90
    COD:MW = £20.99

gamestop.co.uk
    Halo 4 = £34.97
    COD:MW = £15.97 (Not in stock)

Price differences aren't as extreme as I'd thought they'd be actually. You can of course get better prices out there than the Xbox website, but for me, nowadays at least, the ability to have all my games stored digitally is worth a small price premium.

Also, I'm hopeful or the future with the steam guy joining Microsoft recently

Have Microsoft confirmed that the full launch line up will be available digitally?

It'd be very useful in time if I bought a second xbox for the parents place when I'm home,

Just download the game on both consoles (if that's possible) and use my xbox live profile,

Like steam basically...

****edit ****

Just saw Forza 5 is 69.99 euro on the Microsoft store, it's £45 on Amazon... That's nearly 20 euro less!

Nedved85 wrote: »
    Have Microsoft confirmed that the full launch line up will be available digitally?

It'd be very useful in time if I bought a second xbox for the parents place when I'm home,

Just download the game on both consoles (if that's possible) and use my xbox live profile,

Like steam basically...

Actually, that's a good question. I know the original set up was to have them available day and date, but with all the 180s, I just don't know off hand.

It's possible, once they're tied to your account, you can play them wherever you're logged in, exactly like steam. Even if you call around to your friends house, you should be able to start playing straight away, as long as the broadband is good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭mark_m360

Like steam basically...

****edit ****

Just saw Forza 5 is 69.99 euro on the Microsoft store, it's £45 on Amazon... That's nearly 20 euro less!

Microsoft have confirmed that all games will be available the same day through Xbox Live as they are released in store.

If you download digital games, the game is tied to your account. So you can login at your parents house and play it, without having to buy it again. You will obviously need an internet connection.

Apparently pricing will be more competitive since every game will be available online on their respective launch days, rather than sporadic releases as they are now.

It's £49.99 on the Microsoft store.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

So am i right in saying i can go off now and buy old sets of 4200 ms points online (Think there 35 euro... and MS convert that back to 50 euro) ... then use that money to buy games on the xbox one... bit of a bargain!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

So am i right in saying i can go off now and buy old sets of 4200 ms points online (Think there 35 euro... and MS convert that back to 50 euro) ... then use that money to buy games on the xbox one... bit of a bargain!?
    Yep its bargain alright.Did it myself the other night, paid €35 for 4200 points and MS gave me €50 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Will I be able to connect my UPC box to the Xbox One and then control the entire thing with Kinect like shown at the bottom of this page?:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/entertainment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jimbob_jones

Out of the box the new Kinect has a built in IR blaster so it should be able to control your tv, upc etc....

If we get the stuff like the Xbox Guide like the states I am not sure at launch

Out of the box the new Kinect has a built in IR blaster so it should be able to control your tv, upc etc....

If we get the stuff like the Xbox Guide like the states I am not sure at launch

Basic at launch, with more to come. So as expected then. See here.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

would be great if they brought back in the family sharing facility for digital only purchases, would definitely go all digital then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

ciaran75 wrote: »
    would be great if they brought back in the family sharing facility for digital only purchases, would definitely go all digital then.

they've all but confirmed that this will be the case for digital purchases. I reckon the uptake for digital downloads will be bigger than people think for the AAA titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

The thing with marketplace prices is that is actually the same RRP that shops get, these companies aren't just deciding to whack an extra 20 euro on top.

The reason they might be higher is also because of competition. There's only one digital store on Xbox, Microsoft's own store. Theres no competition so the prices will always be higher.

The reason why say Halo is 20 euro cheaper on retail/online is because the price has been slowly pushed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Corvo

Lads, would this speed broadband be enough for Xbox Live? Whether on 360 or the One?

http://www.carnsorebroadband.com/?page_id=2

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Corvo wrote: »
    Lads, would this speed broadband be enough for Xbox Live? Whether on 360 or the One?

http://www.carnsorebroadband.com/?page_id=2

Thanks in advance

Yeah that would be fine, I used to have 8mb broadband and online gaming was grand with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Corvo

Xenji wrote: »
    Yeah that would be fine, I used to have 8mb broadband and online gaming was grand with it.

Thanks man, will have a look at getting it installed so. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Have always had a PS but thinking of switching to Xbox this time.

Has it been confirmed if the TV pass through stuff will work with UPC boxes ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Have always had a PS but thinking of switching to Xbox this time.

Has it been confirmed if the TV pass through stuff will work with UPC boxes ?

I don't think any of the TV related stuff has been confirmed for anywhere outside the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I don't think any of the TV related stuff has been confirmed for anywhere outside the US.
    Yeah, outside of US it looks like TV Picture pass-through at launch - You will be able to show what your DVR / Sky / UPC Box is showing - any of the fancy Guide shenanigans will be added 'later'.

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/consoles/microsoft-reveals-more-on-how-well-xbox-one-will-play-with-uk-tv-1176297

For two people that work for the official Xbox magazine, they sure don't know much about the Xbox One.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Yeah, outside of US it looks like TV Picture pass-through at launch - You will be able to show what your DVR / Sky / UPC Box is showing - any of the fancy Guide shenanigans will be added 'later'.

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/consoles/microsoft-reveals-more-on-how-well-xbox-one-will-play-with-uk-tv-1176297

So at launch, how will it work? Will the only difference be that you don't have to change HDMI input? Or will we be able to see our respective providers tv guide in the interface?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

My take on it is you'd connect let's your Sky box via the HDMI in port and you could say "Xbox Tv or Xbox Sky" and it'll switch to your Sky box. Your Sky remote will work from then due to the IR blaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Voice commands to only work in 5 countries at launch, Ireland not being one of them.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/get-the-facts?xr=shellnav

Check the small print at the bottom.

Very surprised they directly compared themselves to the PS4 by mentioning how many awards they won at E3, and how many the PS4 won.

Batesy wrote: »
    My take on it is you'd connect let's your Sky box via the HDMI in port and you could say "Xbox Tv or Xbox Sky" and it'll switch to your Sky box. Your Sky remote will work from then due to the IR blaster.

A bit like how new Android phones handle it. I've that on my S4... its.... erm... buggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Very surprised they directly compared themselves to the PS4 by mentioning how many awards they won at E3, and how many the PS4 won.

I'd be more surprised if they actually list them to back it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

shuffles03 wrote: »
    So at launch, how will it work? Will the only difference be that you don't have to change HDMI input? Or will we be able to see our respective providers tv guide in the interface?
    From that Microsoft guy's comments to Techradar, it would appear that it's just that you won't have to change HDMI input (and maybe that you can snap it), but the fancy TV Guide and EPG stuff will come along later.

Although there is no firm details outside of this.

• Advertisement

Voice commands to only work in 5 countries at launch, Ireland not being one of them.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/get-the-facts?xr=shellnav

Check the small print at the bottom.

Just change the language setting in the 'Settings' menu to UK and you should have voice commands, thats how it played out with the first Kinect I remember.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement