Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

Can you carry over your XBL account from 360?

Like if you paid for a year sub now to use on 360 would that carry over if you got an Xb one? or would you have to buy another sub?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Like if you paid for a year sub now to use on 360 would that carry over if you got an Xb one? or would you have to buy another sub?

It'll carry over.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It carries on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I'd be very weary of whether it'll ever work correctly with UPC to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Pushtrak wrote: »

cant check it out on the computer im on
    can anyone tell me if theirs a difference? i have bad hearing anyway so id probably be useless to comment :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

Big difference all right

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Voice commands to only work in 5 countries at launch, Ireland not being one of them.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/get-the-facts?xr=shellnav

Check the small print at the bottom.

Very surprised they directly compared themselves to the PS4 by mentioning how many awards they won at E3, and how many the PS4 won.

:rolleyes: ...joke, you can bet the tv stuff wont work with UPC either....if it ever does, i doubt it will.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

:rolleyes: ...joke, you can bet the tv stuff wont work with UPC either....if it ever does, i doubt it will.

very true. as with a lot of things, Irish market is too small to justify additional development. if it doesn't carry over from the uk, forget about it

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    cant check it out on the computer im on
    can anyone tell me if theirs a difference? i have bad hearing anyway so id probably be useless to comment :pac:

Huge difference....like night and day :)

• Advertisement

mossym wrote: »
    very true. as with a lot of things, Irish market is too small to justify additional development. if it doesn't carry over from the uk, forget about it

+1....and tbf, Sony is just as bad!....the UK have streaming tv and movie services, we dont! :rolleyes:

This is why i am seriously considering the X1....at least MS have a video rental store i *can* access, Sony dosent.......

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Just change the language setting in the 'Settings' menu to UK and you should have voice commands, thats how it played out with the first Kinect I remember.

2 years ago i was at CES and Samsung were launching their new voice controlled tv. they were picking individuals from the audience to have a go at controlling it with their voice and the poor girl driving the demo made the mistake of picking me. now i have a pretty neutral accent form living in the US for 6 years, but it's still an irish accent, and the tv couldn't make out a word i'd say. worked fine with a yank, but not when the paddy tried.

hopefully the one plays nice with the irish accent when set to the uk zone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Morning,

I am asking this here & not looking for any bollixology back from fanboys. I have also being a playstation man no particular reason other than having all their devices right the way through. Not a heavy gamer just the usual popular titles & online gaming with me mates.

Is there any reason to make me consider switching to the XboxOne or should I stick to what I know with the PS4? I've read alot of online article reviews & too be honest there doesn't seem to be too much in the difference between both devices.

Morning,

I am asking this here & not looking for any bollixology back from fanboys. I have also being a playstation man no particular reason other than having all their devices right the way through. Not a heavy gamer just the usual popular titles & online gaming with me mates.

Is there any reason to make me consider switching to the XboxOne or should I stick to what I know with the PS4? I've read alot of online article reviews & too be honest there doesn't seem to be too much in the difference between both devices.

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Morning,

The main reasons I'm considering the switch to xbox:

1) I have always found online gaming less than satisfactory on the PS3. Like you I don't do huge amounts of gaming but the online experience was never very good and they've had a long time to get it right

2) Microsoft are doing some interesting stuff with Windows so I think the UI and bundled applications on the console is likely to be better than Sony. Navigating the software on the PS3 is a pain.

3) At a friend's house I was impressed by the Kinect on the 360 and my kids loved the sports games. The fact that all XB1's will have a kinect, while controversial, I think is a positive as there will be some great family games developed for it.

4) I like the idea of the pass through TV stuff even if initially it will only be useful to avoid switching between hdmi inputs. This is useful to me as I have 2 hdmi cables buried in a concrete wall, one for UPC and one for Apple TV and my TV was 2 hdmi inputs. Also Liberty (UPC) has acquired Virgin media in the UK so there is a good chance that the same UPC boxes will be rolled out across Ireland and the UK giving them critical mass and putting them on the radar for development.

I'm a bit concerned to read that PS4 pre-orders are outselling Xbox by 10 to 1 as if it was to continue would impact on future titles. Maybe it's because of the initial bad publicity and the fact the Sony have announced a launch date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    The main reasons I'm considering the switch to xbox:

1) I have always found online gaming less than satisfactory on the PS3. Like you I don't do huge amounts of gaming but the online experience was never very good and they've had a long time to get it right

2) Microsoft are doing some interesting stuff with Windows so I think the UI and bundled applications on the console is likely to be better than Sony. Navigating the software on the PS3 is a pain.

3) At a friend's house I was impressed by the Kinect on the 360 and my kids loved the sports games. The fact that all XB1's will have a kinect, while controversial, I think is a positive as there will be some great family games developed for it.

4) I like the idea of the pass through TV stuff even if initially it will only be useful to avoid switching between hdmi inputs. This is useful to me as I have 2 hdmi cables buried in a concrete wall, one for UPC and one for Apple TV and my TV was 2 hdmi inputs. Also Liberty (UPC) has acquired Virgin media in the UK so there is a good chance that the same UPC boxes will be rolled out across Ireland and the UK giving them critical mass and putting them on the radar for development.

I'm a bit concerned to read that PS4 pre-orders are outselling Xbox by 10 to 1 as if it was to continue would impact on future titles. Maybe it's because of the initial bad publicity and the fact the Sony have announced a launch date.

Cheers for in depth reply.

Agreed online gaming on PS3 is still buggy across different titles, etc & really does frustrate the hell out me. That's what got me thinking the pre sale orders if true are staggering.

Maybe, Microsoft are still reeling in their pre sales over their fook up when they initially launched the device with some of the stupid stipulations they had like no trading games & it had to connect to internet everyday.

I will probably stay undecided until both devices launch & I see how everyone reacts to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Morning,

lol, you've come to the wrong place!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Morning,

Without any "bollixology", as you so brilliantly put it, there is not much difference.

To be honest, if you game with your friends, asking them what they are going to get should probably be your number one priority. If you think you can convince them to change console(or get both), stick with what they're getting.

Just like last generation, I honestly don't think you can make a bad choice here, either way is a winner.

Now that that is out of the way, I will tell you the two main reasons why I'm getting an Xbox One:

First, I prefer the exclusive games coming out in the first year or two. Simple as that

Second, and this is more of a belief, is "innovation". I think that the Xbox One has more potential for innovation and change than the PS4. The bundled Kinect, the HDMI pass through, and the shared code base with windows 8 all lead me to believe that the Xbox One can change the living room experience.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

lol, you've come to the wrong place!

What, the Xbox forum? Probably get different answer in the Playstation forum alright :)

Is there a right place for that question? I try to stay out of the Games forum discussions on the two consoles, that thread has gone round in circles so many times it's made my head spin.

Also I'd be amazed if the ps4 is actually outselling the xboxone by 10 to one. it seems like preorders for day one of both consoles are gone, and they've moved onto the second shipment of each already.

one thing that'd factor into my decision though is what console my friends are getting. not much point you being the only man with an xbox when everyone else has a ps4 or vice versa.

at the moment I feel that the xb1 has a better launch line up, plus the exclusives in the form of titanfall and the early COD DLC suit me better, your taste may vary.

• Advertisement

CatInABox wrote: »
    What, the Xbox forum? Probably get different answer in the Playstation forum alright :)

Is there a right place for that question? I try to stay out of the Games forum discussions on the two consoles, that thread has gone round in circles so many times it's made my head spin.

Lol, a few months back when MS were making a balls of their press conferences, this thread was depressing to read so many people taking a dump from a height on the console. Its gotten a lot better in the last few weeks though.

I could really do with a release date though! hopefully they might announce something at PAX this weekend.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Lol, a few months back when MS were making a balls of their press conferences, this thread was depressing to read so many people taking a dump from a height on the console. Its gotten a lot better in the last few weeks though.

An absolutely deserved dump, just look how much better it's made things...there's hope for the console again!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Also I'd be amazed if the ps4 is actually outselling the xboxone by 10 to one. it seems like preorders for day one of both consoles are gone, and they've moved onto the second shipment of each already.

You can still pre-order a Day One edition and get it on launch Day in Smyths. Plus GS are still taking pre-orders for Standard Edition on Day One, well they were up to a few days ago. The PS4 is by far the most popular console in terms of pre-orders (in Ireland, may differ in the UK).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

If so, are you able to cancel your preorder with Gamestop?

miralize wrote: »
    If so, are you able to cancel your preorder with Gamestop?

I've pre-order a PS4 with them and they said the deposit is refundable if you can get the console elsewhere. I assume the same applies for the Xbox also.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I think the last figures I saw were something like 9-10 million orders for the PS4, 7-8 million for the Xbox, but any figures going around are purely rumours.

The only thing that seems reasonably certain is that both have their full allocation pre-ordered and they're both currently only limited by how quick they can make the things. Although Microsoft have re-allocated stock from the countries where launch was delayed, I'm not sure if that has been fully pre-ordered yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Benzino wrote: »
    I've pre-order a PS4 with them and they said the deposit is refundable if you can get the console elsewhere. I assume the same applies for the Xbox also.

Yeah I've preordered the PS4 too. Kinda prefer the Xbox asymmetrical controller though. But I was settled on the PS4, because I thought that the One was sold out. Now I'm having second thoughts

miralize wrote: »
    Yeah I've preordered the PS4 too. Kinda prefer the Xbox asymmetrical controller though. But I was settled on the PS4, because I thought that the One was sold out. Now I'm having second thoughts

Was in the same boat, had the PS4 pre-ordered but kept looking at TitanFall. So I also pre-ordered the Xbox One. 2013, the year I go bankrupt :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

stevenmu wrote: »
    I think the last figures I saw were something like 9-10 million orders for the PS4, 7-8 million for the Xbox, but any figures going around are purely rumours.

Well I'd stop reading that site then, Sony themselves said 1 million a week ago and I doubt they've had 8-9 million in the last week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement