Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭finno

They charged me the full amount up front (maybe because I paid by PayPal).

They seem to say they'll honour day one (unless you live in the middle of nowhere)

I paid through paypal and they didn't take payment yet not until its released.

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Y.N.W.A

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

very negative review, so will ms cut ign off.......

http://ie.ign.com/videos/2013/08/31/ryse-multiplayer-impressions

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Why would they, it's Crytek that are making this mess of a game. MS are the publishers.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Very nice article on the UI by Digital Foundry.

See here.

A lot of this stuff is why I'm looking forward to the Xbox One, others may think it's "Meh".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

For all the hate that IGN get they're still the largest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Varik wrote: »
    For all the hate that IGN get they're still the largest.

It's funny, I don't think that I've been on their website in about 3 years. I'd totally forgotten about them, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Ryse looks like a boring pile of crap tbh

TITANFALL is gonna be amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I didn't even know Ryse had a multiplayer. It's only a multiplayer review. Is there any single player reviews yet because that looks impressive.

Hold on there! Confusing messages from Microsoft??????????

NEVER!!!!!!

• Advertisement

sony takes another swipe at microsoft :D

ku-bigpic.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

sony takes another swipe at microsoft :D

ku-bigpic.jpg
    Yea, I mentioned that here.

More :rolleyes: and less :D at this stage if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

It's gas Microsft wouldn't shut up with TV, TV, TV... Now Sony won't shut up about Indie, indie, indie, indie.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭TNT2k_

It's gas Microsft wouldn't shut up with TV, TV, TV... Now Sony won't shut up about Indie, indie, indie, indie.

Games >>>> TV

What do you expect them to talk about given it's a games console?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Sony started off talking about games games games, and to be fair to them they've stuck with their stance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

TNT2k_ wrote: »
    Games >>>> TV

Indie games are great and all but I'm not buying a 400 or 500 euro console to play something thats a throwback to something I played on the sega megadrive.

before anyone points me to the likes of dust or resogun, fair enough, but its not what I'm after. I want my AAA blockbusters heading for photorealism.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I'm just after good games, don't care who they come from so long as I'm enjoying what i play :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

TNT2k_ wrote: »
    Games >>>> TV

given the messages from some posters here you'd reckon they're only talking if it's bashing m$.

i'm not sure why people are so happy to see one company bashing the other. if your best marketing message is focused on the opposition's capabilities it doesn't say a lot for your product/belief in it. that goes for both sides .

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭TNT2k_

Indie games are great and all but I'm not buying a 400 or 500 euro console to play something thats a throwback to something I played on the sega megadrive.

before anyone points me to the likes of dust or resogun, fair enough, but its not what I'm after. I want my AAA blockbusters heading for photorealism.

What makes you think Sony won't be pushing for AAA blockbusters either? They've proven they are the best in that league in both quality and quantity of big exclusives.

But they also see that games are becoming bigger and more expensive to develop, so when games get bigger they can't take huge risks as the stakes are too high and there's just too much to lose in ways of money and audience.

They're trying to replicate the diversity of last gen consoles when development costs were significantly less and the only way to do that effectively is through indie games.

But it's not a choice of one or the other. There's going to be a heap of AAA games, they're not going anywhere, but they're pushing for more indies to fill the gaps and push new and creative ideas. Sony is going on about indies because they're very important and a great addition, but AAA games are going nowhere with them because they have a load of fantastic fist party studios.

Really, you should be thankful there's going to more great games on all fronts, it's not the case that more resources being robbed off AAA games for indies if that's what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The indie developers from years ago are the AAA developers of today. Gamers need to keep that in mind. Look at how Bungie and Bioware came along from their humble beginings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Both are more wildly available on a PC then :o

And I am a million miles from being a PC fanboy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

GTR63 wrote: »
    Both are more wildly available on a PC then :o

And I am a million miles from being a PC fanboy

Exactly, I can get my indie fix cheaper on my existing laptop. Its great that these games are going to get a wider audience and all but stop promoting them like theyre something that couldnt have been done on Xbox 360 or ps3

Sony *needs* Indie games to pad out the PS4 release schedule and the store etc.
    Plus you can guarantee there will be no AAA titles like Killzone free from PS+ during the first year. So they need the Indie stuff yo give away free every month!

They have to give at least one game per month for PS4..........

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Indie games of the new generation will be more innovative and more than likely more fun to play then most big game titles, they are the ones taking risks and trying to do something new, fresh and innovative, not like having the 20th version of the exact same game like Fifa or CoD, at least they are trying to be different, I think its great Sony is pushing it so much, Microsoft burned so many bridges with indie developers in the last generation that they will not be able to compete with Sony now, thats why Sony are offering nearly 20 indie games at launch compared to Microsofts 4.

Xenji wrote: »
    Indie games of the new generation will be more innovative and more than likely more fun to play then most big game titles, they are the ones taking risks and trying to do something new, fresh and innovative, not like having the 20th version of the exact same game like Fifa or CoD, at least they are trying to be different, I think its great Sony is pushing it so much, Microsoft burned so many bridges with indie developers in the last generation that they will not be able to compete with Sony now, thats why Sony are offering nearly 20 indie games at launch compared to Microsofts 4.
    Sony are offering so many indie games at launch because they got their indie policies in place far sooner than MS and removed the need for a third party publisher to be involved. If the self-publishing program that MS announced is as good as they say it is, then I can see little doubt that the vast majority of these titles will be available for One after their PS4 exclusivity expires.

The biggest problem with all of this is that the issues most devs had with MS previously were institutional ones and they're far harder to fix than simple personnel ones. The ID@XBox program and more prominent people in charge does sound promising though and if they can avoid the bureaucracy that MS have become synonymous with in the past going forward then they should have no problems with indies this gen.

gizmo wrote: »
    Sony are offering so many indie games at launch because they got their indie policies in place far sooner than MS and removed the need for a third party publisher to be involved. If the self-publishing program that MS announced is as good as they say it is, then I can see little doubt that the vast majority of these titles will be available for One after their PS4 exclusivity expires.

The biggest problem with all of this is that the issues most devs had with MS previously were institutional ones and they're far harder to fix than simple personnel ones. The ID@XBox program and more prominent people in charge does sound promising though and if they can avoid the bureaucracy that MS have become synonymous with in the past going forward then they should have no problems with indies this gen.

I do not think it will be that easy, people such as Jonathan Blow are very bitter over how they were treated by Microsoft, even if the new policy is a success, you will have more or less the same people involved that screwed over a lot of those developers in the past, it was a lot to do with money and freedom over their IP's as much as it was to do with institutional issues.

I am all for more Indie games, I love them and having another platform for studios to create new IP's on is great and makes developers up their game, but I do not see Microsoft having the quality and quantity of what Sony will have and at the end of the day it is their own fault, but at least as you said they are trying to rectify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

Just need to vent for a bit here.

I've chosen to go for the Xbox over the PS4(even though I'll buy the PS4 at some stage down the line as well) as some of my buddies who I play regularly with online are also getting the Xbox and I don't want to be playing without my mates on the PS4. But what I'm really frustrated with is whenever I tell some of my other mates that I'm getting the Xbox One, they seem to almost take it as a personal offense to them and ask why on earth I'd do that when I could get the PS4 and blah blah blah. It really bugs me! Someone make me feel better about deciding on the Xbox One :o

Moiph wrote: »

I've chosen to go for the Xbox over the PS4(even though I'll buy the PS4 at some stage down the line as well) as some of my buddies who I play regularly with online are also getting the Xbox and I don't want to be playing without my mates on the PS4. But what I'm really frustrated with is whenever I tell some of my other mates that I'm getting the Xbox One, they seem to almost take it as a personal offense to them and ask why on earth I'd do that when I could get the PS4 and blah blah blah. It really bugs me! Someone make me feel better about deciding on the Xbox One :o

Why did you decide to get it over the PS4, what does it offer you that made you make that decision, if you see more pluses for the Xbox and it is more suited to your needs, what does it matter what your friends think, I cannot make you feel better about it, unless you like Fifa.

I do not think it will be that easy, people such as Jonathan Blow are very bitter over how they were treated by Microsoft, even if the new policy is a success, you will have more or less the same people involved that screwed over a lot of those developers in the past, it was a lot to do with money and freedom over their IP's as much as it was to do with institutional issues.
    People like Jonathon Blow were also turned away from the PS3 because Sony weren't interested in their games. Sure, he subsequently had a bad experience working with MS but his previous history with Sony didn't stop him from later releasing Braid on the PS3 once they saw how successful it had become and it certainly hasn't stopped him from championing (and rightly so) their new indie program for the PS4.

As I said, the problem with MS has never really been with the individual people involved, more so the structure of MS as a company when it came to dealing with smaller developers. The guys from Team Meat went into some good detail on this awhile back for instance and if memory serves me correctly the guys at 17-bit said something similar recently too. With the Vita and now PS4, Sony have made it as easy as simply tweeting someone like Shahid Ahmad with your game to start the ball rolling and that, combined with the lack of interference on the publishing side makes the prospect of working with Sony highly appealing. MS seem to be following in a similar with the ID@XBox program so one can only hope they follow through with their promises.
    I am all for more Indie games, I love them and having another platform for studios to create new IP's on is great and makes developers up their game, but I do not see Microsoft having the quality and quantity of what Sony will have and at the end of the day it is their own fault, but at least as you said they are trying to rectify it.
    Indeed and to summarise the above, Sony ****ed up with a lot of indies this generation too but have turned things around completely by reassessing how they deal with such developers. In the same way I can see no reason why MS can't do exactly the same thing given some time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Moiph wrote: »

Obviously there are games you want that will be going to the One, so when it/they are out, play them. You are planning on getting both and they are butt hurt because of the order you are getting them? Wow. Did they get stuck at 12 years old?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement