Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

The make me feel better part was more of a joke lads. I'm pretty happy to be getting the Xbox, as I currently play the 360 and I'm happier with the controller, and the Xbox One controller looks very similar indeed. And when it comes to the exclusives, I do prefer the look of Titanfall and Dead Rising 3 is going to be a certainty for me also. I just find it funny and annoying at the same time that some of my mates are getting in a huff over something that I'm buying which won't really affect them whatsoever :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Moiph wrote: »
    Just need to vent for a bit here.

I've chosen to go for the Xbox over the PS4(even though I'll buy the PS4 at some stage down the line as well) as some of my buddies who I play regularly with online are also getting the Xbox and I don't want to be playing without my mates on the PS4. But what I'm really frustrated with is whenever I tell some of my other mates that I'm getting the Xbox One, they seem to almost take it as a personal offense to them and ask why on earth I'd do that when I could get the PS4 and blah blah blah. It really bugs me! Someone make me feel better about deciding on the Xbox One :o

All you need to do is say "TitanFall".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Xenji wrote: »
    Indie games of the new generation will be more innovative and more than likely more fun to play then most big game titles, they are the ones taking risks and trying to do something new, fresh and innovative, not like having the 20th version of the exact same game like Fifa or CoD, at least they are trying to be different, I think its great Sony is pushing it so much, Microsoft burned so many bridges with indie developers in the last generation that they will not be able to compete with Sony now, thats why Sony are offering nearly 20 indie games at launch compared to Microsofts 4.

with the new consoles having a broadly similar x86 architecture, it'll be easier (and a lot less taxing financially) for developers to deliver games for both consoles. if they decide to ignore one platform over another due to a grudge harboured in the past, they're really only cutting of their nose to spite their face and squandering half their target audience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Will all Xbox one titles be available to buy via download or just selected titles ?

All will be available as a download.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

All will be available as a download.

Any reason not to download ? Disk space?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Bigcheeze wrote: »

Price (if it's the same as this generation in terms of digital price), the size of the files (if you have download limits) and broadband speed.

Bigcheeze wrote: »

if your internet usage is a certain allowance you'll be eating into that or if your speeds are poor, it might take a long time to download.

Also, they havent firmed up any details on the possibility of sharing / selling digitally downloaded games whereas you can still swap and trade in physical discs.

I'd be waiting to compare the prices / bonuses that are going to be offered for downloading as opposed to buying them in gamestop etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

with the new consoles having a broadly similar x86 architecture, it'll be easier (and a lot less taxing financially) for developers to deliver games for both consoles. if they decide to ignore one platform over another due to a grudge harboured in the past, they're really only cutting of their nose to spite their face and squandering half their target audience.

Most of the titles here are timed exclusives though, so for the developers, they get compensation from Sony for that, as well as sales from the PSN. When the exclusivity is up, they then get XBL sales. WIN-WIN for them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

if your internet usage is a certain allowance you'll be eating into that or if your speeds are poor, it might take a long time to download.

This part of it should be fine, both consoles are able to "stream" a game to your console, so that you can play as you download. Better broadband will still be good, but if you've got at least 10mb, then you're more than fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

CatInABox wrote: »
    This part of it should be fine, both consoles are able to "stream" a game to your console, so that you can play as you download. Better broadband will still be good, but if you've got at least 10mb, then you're more than fine.

If you don't live in Dublin or another large city. You're fecked so.
    Im in kildare, up to 8mb, never gotten over 3 in all the years I have it.

eFibre is supposed to be rolled out this month, but I wont hold my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It could be quite painful especially if you have a cap, Uncharted 3 is a 43.5 GB download and a Blu-Ray disk can hold up to 50 GB, it also required 87 GB of hard disk space, so you could be looking at quite a long time downloading a game digitally, unless they bring in a way that lets you pre-download a game before it is released, but we saw that it backfired with GTA V.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yes, your broadband will play a large part in your experience, but I've used it before with Starcraft 2, and that's with 1.5mb broadband. Wasn't terrible in that case, but then I'm the patient type :)

I'd say that if you can stream high quality netflix, then you shouldn't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

It could be quite painful especially if you have a cap, Uncharted 3 is a 43.5 GB download and a Blu-Ray disk can hold up to 50 GB, it also required 87 GB of hard disk space, so you could be looking at quite a long time downloading a game digitally, unless they bring in a way that lets you pre-download a game before it is released, but we saw that it backfired with GTA V.
    Steam has allowed the pre-loading of games for years, and its not been broken.

Fifa 14 confirmed as being free only with Day One editions, and will be a digital copy.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/09/02/xbox-ones-free-fifa-14-for-day-one-edition-consoles-only/

Fifa 14 confirmed as being free only with Day One editions, and will be a digital copy.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/09/02/xbox-ones-free-fifa-14-for-day-one-edition-consoles-only/

good lord, their pr / marketing & media departments are nothing short of absolutley brutal. Its hard to stay committed when they cant even get their story straight.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

good lord, their pr / marketing & media departments are nothing short of absolutley brutal. Its hard to stay committed when they cant even get their story straight.

Its mind boggling, right!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

regarding fifa14?
    i thought they made it quite clear if im honest
    the rest of the pr was horrible but the fifa14 i could understand, what did you not understand?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    regarding fifa14?
    the rest of the pr was horrible but the fifa14 i could understand, what did you not understand?

On 27th August, the official Xbox twitter account responded to a query, saying the "@Ianoconnor22 All pre-orders come with FIFA 14 in Europe, Ian. Doesn't matter if it's a Day One console or not."

regarding fifa14?

They have been telling people since the announcement that it was for all pre-orders, not just the Day One Editions, it was only today that they went back on that and said Day One Edition only.

• Advertisement

regarding fifa14?

Its not me as such, I dont like fifa so i'll be selling my copy regardless, but if you go through the links above you'll see that other punters asked the official xbox twitter account if fifa came free with ALL pre orders or just the day one edition. Xbox repsonded that it came with ALL of them, but now thats been contradicted and it turns out that its actually only the day one editions that get the free game.

what actually makes less sense to me is why would you give away a game to people who have already committed to buying the console (seeing as day one editions were apparently almost sold out before the free game was ever announced).

Its not me as such, I dont like fifa so i'll be selling my copy regardless, but if you go through the links above you'll see that other punters asked the official xbox twitter account if fifa came free with ALL pre orders or just the day one edition. Xbox repsonded that it came with ALL of them, but now thats been contradicted and it turns out that its actually only the day one editions that get the free game.

what actually makes less sense to me is why would you give away a game to people who have already committed to buying the console (seeing as day one editions were apparently almost sold out before the free game was ever announced).

You can guarantee seeing that it is Microsoft that you will not be able to sell on your digital copy, they will say it is use once only or something similar seeing that it is a promotion, that's if they do actually go ahead with a policy of you being able to sell your digital copies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

You can guarantee seeing that it is Microsoft that you will not be able to sell on your digital copy, they will say it is use once only or something similar seeing that it is a promotion, that's if they do actually go ahead with a policy of you being able to sell your digital copies.
    Graeme Boyd, their Social Marketing Manager, who first brought this up today followed that little bombshell with the news that you can just sell the download code if you don't want it. It's not tied to anything, probably just an insert in a DVD box that'll come with the console.

gizmo wrote: »
    Graeme Boyd, their Social Marketing Manager, who first brought this up today followed that little bombshell with the news that you can just sell the download code if you don't want it. It's not tied to anything, probably just an insert in a DVD box that'll come with the console.

exactly, at this late stage, its probably just one of those cards that you scratch off to get the code for your download, same as ms points were.

gizmo wrote: »

So it will just be like all the people who sell DLC codes on Ebay, you will probably be able to get the game a lot cheaper that way as well than in a shop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

They have been telling people since the announcement that it was for all pre-orders, not just the Day One Editions, it was only today that they went back on that and said Day One Edition only.

yup...and i bet they'll do another 180 now :rolleyes:
    the staff havent a clue what they are doing, one contradicts the other.

exactly, at this late stage, its probably just one of those cards that you scratch off to get the code for your download, same as ms points were.

yeah...ms are too cheap to even include a dvd case :rolleyes:

its very obvious now the OS will be crippled on launch, tons of things missing....this is because ms dont have time to have everything up and ready for launch day. its a rush job....half an OS to meet a deadline

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=667437

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

yup...and i bet they'll do another 180 now :rolleyes:
    the staff havent a clue what they are doing, one contradicts the other.

I think they will have to do a 180 as I'm pretty sure Gamestop have been telling people both editions come with the game, they certainly told me that. That's gonna be a lot of pissed off consumers!

• Advertisement

i am starting to think microsoft is doing this stuff on purpose to keep people talking........

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement