Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

its very obvious now the OS will be crippled on launch, tons of things missing....this is because ms dont have time to have everything up and ready for launch day. its a rush job....half an OS to meet a deadline

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=667437
    What Hryb didn't clarify was whether or not the external hard drive support that is missing at launch is related to its use for general media, i.e. movies, video, images or for installing games and other downloads.

As for what such support means for the OS in general well the above summation is hyperbole to the extreme. If you're shipping a console with a 500GB hard drive and are also offering unlimited cloud support for your premium subscribers then full support for external hard drives is probably going to be pretty far down on your list of priorities in the lead up to launch. Should it have been ready in time? Of course, but I think you're reading a tad too much into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,892 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Hopefully the Fifa 14 issue is clarified soon.

I booked my console with Smyths weeks ago (17th on the list) so should be getting a 'Day One' edition, so should be getting Fifa 14.

There is a person posting here who works for Smyths, isn't there? Wonder if they can shed any light - or if MS have even told them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Hopefully the Fifa 14 issue is clarified soon.

I booked my console with Smyths weeks ago (17th on the list) so should be getting a 'Day One' edition, so should be getting Fifa 14.

There is a person posting here who works for Smyths, isn't there? Wonder if they can shed any light - or if MS have even told them.

If you are getting a Day One edition, you will get Fifa. The same guy from Symths who said that they are getting more consoles than any chain in Ireland and said he was told anyone could walk in and get one on launch day, would not bother with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

I love the guarantees all these managers are given, I've had my fingers burnt by such sayings before!

Anyway, I'm actually questioning whether I should just cancel my pre-order now (have about 300 down). Every week the console is seemingly in some new storm. I'm losing confidence in if the console is even going to be released in Ireland in November given the delays some countries have faced!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Xenji wrote: »
    If you are getting a Day One edition, you will get Fifa. The same guy from Symths who said that they are getting more consoles than any chain in Ireland and said he was told anyone could walk in and get one on launch day, would not bother with him.

I work for Smyths, but that wasn't me saying anything like that so I'm guessing there's someone else from us that's talking nonsense!

The way things are looking, you've about a week left to get a Day One edition booked in Smyths. There's some left to book but it's all started to fill very fast in the last few weeks.

• Advertisement

niallon wrote: »
    I work for Smyths, but that wasn't me saying anything like that so I'm guessing there's someone else from us that's talking nonsense!

The way things are looking, you've about a week left to get a Day One edition booked in Smyths. There's some left to book but it's all started to fill very fast in the last few weeks.

Nah it was not you, he only had about 10 posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Nah it was not you, he only had about 10 posts.

Sure that wasn't about one of the Gamestop shops not Smyths.

Niall has been fairly bang on about Smyths.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

great news lads
    http://m.ign.com/articles/2013/09/02/warframe-confirmed-as-timed-playstation-4-exclusive

warframe is a timed exclusives, whether anybody new that already i didnt know it meself :L
    the only f2p game i wanted of sonys list just wonder how long it will take to come on to the one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    great news lads
    http://m.ign.com/articles/2013/09/02/warframe-confirmed-as-timed-playstation-4-exclusive

warframe is a timed exclusives, whether anybody new that already i didnt know it meself :L
    the only f2p game i wanted of sonys list just wonder how long it will take to come on to the one

Just because it's timed doesn't mean it's coming to the X1.
    One of the conditions of it's release on the PS4 is that it has cross-play support with PC. Sony will allow that, but MS refuse to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Just because it's timed doesn't mean it's coming to the X1.
    One of the conditions of it's release on the PS4 is that it has cross-play support with PC. Sony will allow that, but MS refuse to.

never say never with all these 180's going on:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

i'll bet titanfall will be a timed exclusive as well......

I think you left out the "Na na na na naaaaaa na" from your post.

Seriously, there is no reason to believe that any non-first party published game won't come to both platforms unless the developer and/or publisher explicitly say so.

As for Warframe on the XBox One, well...

Warframe May Come to Xbox One After Microsoft's Changes

As has been said repeatedly, the reason these games are hitting the PS4 first is because Sony got their **** together early with their indie developer relationships. While that in itself is something most definitely worthy of praise, it does not mean that these games won't come to the XBox One too assuming MS make their processes as straightforward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Anything that is 'coming first to' will come out on both. It only makes sense for the devs to do it. Same with the indies and DR3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

GTR63 wrote: »
    Anything that is 'coming first to' will come out on both. It only makes sense for the devs to do it. Same with the indies and DR3

DR3 isn't likely to ever see the PS4. It's published by Microsoft.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The media centre extender capability is gone from the Xbox One, which doesn't surprise me. I tried using it once, and had a terrible experience with it.

There's a comment on it in here. Apparently preloading is coming, but not at launch.

I'd say that the Xbox One support for local media will be the same as it is in Windows 8, i.e. if it's indexed on a windows 8 that's on the network, you'll be able to use it. Disappointing for me, as I've got all mine on a NAS.

Also, who here heard "eight controllers" and thought bomberman?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-03-whats-going-on-with-gaikai-on-playstation-4-in-europe

looks like both consoles are going to be somewhat hamstrung at launch, and according to the article above sony dont seem to have any concrete idea for when their cloud service is up and running - this obviously would have a knock on effect for COD dedicated servers and Titanfall.

A case of over promising and under delivering by both parties. its odd, that the current generation of consoles has been around ten years and both sony and microsoft still haven't had enough time to have all their features locked down in time for launch of the new gen.

DR3 isn't likely to ever see the PS4. It's published by Microsoft.

According to people on Neogaf, Capcom had very little input into the game, Microsoft were very hands on with it.

According to people on Neogaf, Capcom had very little input into the game, Microsoft were very hands on with it.
    Financially? I can see that being the case alright but it's still being developed by the same team behind Dead Rising 2 and the subsequent mini-instalments. MS will also have probably lended some technical support since it's a new platform and they were pushing Smartglass integration so much. With their new studio, Black Tusk, also in Vancouver I can see that being rather handy this time around too.

gizmo wrote: »
    Financially? I can see that being the case alright but it's still being developed by the same team behind Dead Rising 2 and the subsequent mini-instalments. MS will also have probably lended some technical support since it's a new platform and they were pushing Smartglass integration so much. With their new studio, Black Tusk, also in Vancouver I can see that being rather handy this time around too.

Yeah, they put a lot of money into it and wanted it to be the game that showed off everything that the new console had to offer, was quite a big deal for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,892 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

niallon wrote: »

Is there anyway of knowing what 'Day 1' stock each store has - or will it be dealt with on a country basis (first 1000 people to book, get one, regardless of where they book). I know I am 17th in line in the store I booked in, but I don't know if they are going to get 10 or 100!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Hardly a delay when they said that in their announcement. Here's the ID@Xbox announcement, it's in there.

Thing is, I don't think it's rushed. Software isn't a static product any more, it's a case of continual improvement, as can be seen on both the PS3 and the Xbox 360. So long as the hardware is built to last, and the games are good, a "version 1" of the OS can last me quite some time.

Anyone see the combat trailer for DR3? Shark suits and lightsabers? YES.

This was never a launch feature.

nothing works out of the box on launch, it could takes months for all the missing features to be added in - its rush....there is no question microsoft expected the ps4 to drop this year.

they expected it to drop holiday 2014.....and now they are scrambking to catchup. they are removing features left right and center because they dont have rime to finish them for launch day.

sony are way ahead in therns of software, i also think the huge box that is the x1 is a result of rushed hardware. sony had time to shrink the system....ms threw together a huge box because they didnt have time to make a small sleek one.

Another JOKE from Microsoft......23 fecking quid!, fer fecks sake lads!!!!!

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/mseea/en_IE/pdp/productID.282227900

nothing works out of the box on launch, it could takes months for all the missing features to be added in - its rush....there is no question microsoft expected the ps4 to drop this year.
    Nonsense.

The features you've used to justify this are either ones which are of a relatively low priority (the external storage issue) or were explicitly announced as not being launch features (the devkit functionality).
    they expected it to drop holiday 2014.....and now they are scrambking to catchup. they are removing features left right and center because they dont have rime to finish them for launch day.
    No one expected it that late.

They're not removing features left, right and center. They have removed one.
    sony are way ahead in therns of software, i also think the huge box that is the x1 is a result of rushed hardware. sony had time to shrink the system....ms threw together a huge box because they didnt have time to make a small sleek one.
    Sony are ahead in terms of their dev tools which is great. No developer to date has said they are "way ahead".

The XBox One hardware isn't nearly as big as you're making it out to be and let's be honest, MS have never been noted for their svelte hardware in the past, have they?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

It comes in the box with the console - no need to shell out for that.
    gizmo wrote:
    The XBox One hardware isn't nearly as big as you're making it out to be and let's be honest, MS have never been noted for their svelte hardware in the past, have they?

True, if you look at the design of the Xbox One, it looks more like a Blu-ray player, DVR or a box that would normally sit under the TV or in a sitting room. That's where Microsoft want it to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Are you part of an amateur dramatic society by any chance Richard?

How is 23 euro bad for a headset I have paid 300 for an astro gaming headset and 280 for Tritton warhead headset so for a gamer 23 is nothing but most have their own headsets and will buy gaming headsets...

You seem to be looking for anything to put the console down now at this stage

And then there's this, Official XBox 360 headset.

There's also the fact that all versions of the console come with a headset now in case you've forgotten.

So, we've established that the MS Online Store is a complete and utter rip off, that should be easy to avoid, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

So some features on Xbox one not available at launch I'm ok with that..

Oh Richard take a goo here will you

http://www.godisageek.com/2013/09/ps4-gaikai-broadband-issues-delay-europe-release/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement