Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 988 ✭✭✭deadeye187

Is there a release date yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

deadeye187 wrote: »
    Is there a release date yet?

22nd of November in the 13 launch countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭mark_m360

This is from Albert Penello MS Exec on Neogaf.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=673713&page=7

"Here are a couple of points about some of the individual parts for people to consider:

• 18 CU's vs. 12 CU's =/= 50% more performance. Multi-core processors have inherent inefficiency with more CU's, so it's simply incorrect to say 50% more GPU.
    • Adding to that, each of our CU's is running 6% faster. It's not simply a 6% clock speed increase overall.
    • We have more memory bandwidth. 176gb/sec is peak on paper for GDDR5. Our peak on paper is 272gb/sec. (68gb/sec DDR3 + 204gb/sec on ESRAM). ESRAM can do read/write cycles simultaneously so I see this number mis-quoted.
    • We have at least 10% more CPU. Not only a faster processor, but a better audio chip also offloading CPU cycles.
    • We understand GPGPU and its importance very well. Microsoft invented Direct Compute, and have been using GPGPU in a shipping product since 2010 - it's called Kinect.
    • Speaking of GPGPU - we have 3X the coherent bandwidth for GPGPU at 30gb/sec which significantly improves our ability for the CPU to efficiently read data generated by the GPU."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

mark_m360 wrote: »

"Here are a couple of points about some of the individual parts for people to consider:

• 18 CU's vs. 12 CU's =/= 50% more performance. Multi-core processors have inherent inefficiency with more CU's, so it's simply incorrect to say 50% more GPU.
    • Adding to that, each of our CU's is running 6% faster. It's not simply a 6% clock speed increase overall.
    • We have more memory bandwidth. 176gb/sec is peak on paper for GDDR5. Our peak on paper is 272gb/sec. (68gb/sec DDR3 + 204gb/sec on ESRAM). ESRAM can do read/write cycles simultaneously so I see this number mis-quoted.
    • We have at least 10% more CPU. Not only a faster processor, but a better audio chip also offloading CPU cycles.
    • We understand GPGPU and its importance very well. Microsoft invented Direct Compute, and have been using GPGPU in a shipping product since 2010 - it's called Kinect.
    • Speaking of GPGPU - we have 3X the coherent bandwidth for GPGPU at 30gb/sec which significantly improves our ability for the CPU to efficiently read data generated by the GPU."

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/09/microsoft-exec-defends-xbox-one-from-accusations-its-underpowered/

Take of that what you will. The article seems a bit unprofessional.
    As I said in a different thread though, don't trust either MS or Sony in situations like this, they both have an agenda and are going to say whatever they can to make their console look better.

Best we can do is wait 2-3 years and compare the games then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

As I said in a different thread though, don't trust either MS or Sony in situations like this, they both have an agenda and are going to say whatever they can to make their console look better.

I`m with you on that the pair of them have behaved like children at times.

• Advertisement

mark_m360 wrote: »

We were talking about it on the previous page, he posted that on NeoGAF and they ripped him to shreds over there because of it, then he kept asking they apologize to him over it and when they did not, he claimed to know all the private PS4 specs and that he was better than them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

ilERlIuaHoeTm.gif

Thought this was pretty spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Brilliant!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I nearly watched all of that...I really am sleep deprived.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

Suppose this could be seen as good news for xbox one owners,

http://metro.co.uk/2013/08/28/sony-jim-ryan-interview-giving-away-stuff-on-day-one-its-kind-of-odd-3939866/

"So Activision, yes, are doing stuff on Call Of Duty with Microsoft. However, we are partnering with Activision on Destiny. And you know Destiny is a new IP from Bungie and there’s gonna be stuff that is exclusive to the PlayStation SKU for a window of time"

So the destiny exclusives will only be timed on the ps4.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

syboit wrote: »
    Suppose this could be seen as good news for xbox one owners,

http://metro.co.uk/2013/08/28/sony-jim-ryan-interview-giving-away-stuff-on-day-one-its-kind-of-odd-3939866/

"So Activision, yes, are doing stuff on Call Of Duty with Microsoft. However, we are partnering with Activision on Destiny. And you know Destiny is a new IP from Bungie and there’s gonna be stuff that is exclusive to the PlayStation SKU for a window of time"

I think that any third party game that is not published by a first party, can be considered a timed exclusive. It just does not make economic sense for a developer/publisher to restrict their potential market.

CatInABox wrote: »
    I think that any third party game that is not published by a first party, can be considered a timed exclusive. It just does not make economic sense for a developer/publisher to restrict their potential market.

Not quite, the majority of them will be, but the PS3 has 149 exclusive titles at the moment and the 360 has 120 exclusive titles. So you will see that trend continue for the new generation and possibly even more so depending on how the consoles pan out, I can see more Japanese studios going PS4 exclusive.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Xenji wrote: »
    Not quite, the majority of them will be, but the PS3 has 149 exclusive titles at the moment and the 360 has 120 exclusive titles. So you will see that trend continue for the new generation and possibly even more so depending on how the consoles pan out, I can see more Japanese studios going PS4 exclusive.

I thought that the gap would be more to be honest. Perhaps these past couple of years, where the PS3 has had a golden age of exclusives against the 360s relative drought has skewed my perspective.

The more Japanocentric studios may want to, yes, but the Xbox One will do fine in America, so any studio that wants to appeal to as wide an audience as possible will still release on Xbox One.

In other words, both consoles will do fine, with consumers being the clear winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

syboit wrote: »

Are the COD exclusives on the XBO not timed too? Or is it the Destiny stuff you had thought was not coming to both systems eventually?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

Otacon wrote: »
    Are the COD exclusives on the XBO not timed too? Or is it the Destiny stuff you had thought was not coming to both systems eventually?

From what I had read I believe the COD dlc is a timed exclusive, its just that I thought that the destiny dlc was for ps4 only.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

once again....the ps4 is way faster, but of course...none of you care about that....the games, right?

lol....you'll care about it in two years time!

http://www.edge-online.com/news/power-struggle-the-real-differences-between-ps4-and-xbox-one-performance/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

once again....the ps4 is way faster, but of course...none of you care about that....the games, right?

http://www.edge-online.com/news/power-struggle-the-real-differences-between-ps4-and-xbox-one-performance/

You are such a **** stirrer Richard. Complaining in both threads...

Carry on.

miralize wrote: »

Carry on.

Stirring?,,,no sir!, providing information to make a CHOICE!....a very large purchasing choice. Why would you complain about the PS4 thread??...its an article dedicated to BOTH consoles!

It talks about the X1 and PS4....so both posting in the relevant threads are legit, not stirring.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Stirring?,,,no sir!, providing information to make a CHOICE!....a very large purchasing choice. Why would you complain about the PS4 thread??...its an article dedicated to BOTH consoles!

It talks about the X1 and PS4....so both posting in the relevant threads are legit, not stirring.....

Over in the PS4 thread you're complaining about how a game doesn't look "next-gen" enough, and in the X1 thread you're posting about how the PS4 is sooo much more powerful than the X1.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I won't care about it in two years time as if that is the case ill but a ps4 from some peasant stuck for cash and lord it out with both consoles...

• Advertisement

miralize wrote: »
    Carry on.

An interesting article Richard, one in which the developers have said that either the politics of the two consoles, or the economics realities of development will mean that there is not much difference between third party games. Will first party games look better? Sure, no doubt, but that's something that we all knew about two months ago.

The reason you're being called **** stirring is because you come across as way too emotionally invested in the PS4. I come in here to discuss the various pros and cons of the consoles, and expect others to do the same. You do not. You seem to come in here to score points over faceless people on the internet, all over the choice of two luxury items. You don't contribute. You don't participate. You don't debate.

I'd call you a shill, but a shill would have higher standards.

I don't mean to be offensive, and if you do take offence, then I apologise.

Over in the PS4 thread you're complaining about how a game doesn't look "next-gen" enough, and in the X1 thread you're posting about how the PS4 is sooo much more powerful than the X1.

ITS MY OPINION!....i dont think Driveclub looks next gen!, it think graphically it looks weaker then PS3 GT6....that is my opinion.

So if anything i'm slamming BOTH Sony and MS for different reasons. You think its trolling....fair enough, its my opinion.

I want a 500 euro product to DELIVER on what next gen is being touted as....NEXT GEN!, not shoddy looking current gen!

I won't care about it in two years time as if that is the case ill but a ps4 from some peasant stuck for cash and lord it out with both consoles...

Yet i get slammed for "wasting money" on the new xbox 360.....but its Ok if you guys buy another console :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Yet i get slammed for "wasting money" on the new xbox 360.....but its Ok if you guys buy another console :rolleyes:

You are going on ignore for my sanity I can't read all this tripe

CatInABox wrote: »
    An interesting article Richard, one in which the developers have said that either the politics of the two consoles, or the economics realities of development will mean that there is not much difference between third party games. Will first party games look better? Sure, no doubt, but that's something that we all knew about two months ago.

The reason you're being called **** stirring is because you come across as way too emotionally invested in the PS4. I come in here to discuss the various pros and cons of the consoles, and expect others to do the same. You do not. You seem to come in here to score points over faceless people on the internet, all over the choice of two luxury items. You don't contribute. You don't participate. You don't debate.

I'd call you a shill, but a shill would have higher standards.

I don't mean to be offensive, and if you do take offence, then I apologise.

I do debate, i do discuss.....i post articles thet relay info, i have been negative on Sony too, its just Microsoft have more negative points to pick up on.

I've said its a plus and minus game...it is, one console scores one point, the next day the other console loses a point etc.

Its pros and cons, i have no loyality to any brand....its just MS have handled next gen in a totally shambolic way.

You are going on ignore for my sanity I can't read all this tripe

That is you excercising choice, i encourage that :)

Yeah that is very reassuring if you are getting a Xbone, she basically dodged the question and came up with a stock answer, they are not really gonna come out and say that their console is slower, it would damage their sale. We will just have to wait and see if all this is true, but if it is and when people can compare both in their own homes and see one is better, what is going to happen.

Xenji wrote: »
    Yeah that is very reassuring if you are getting a Xbone, she basically dodged the question and came up with a stock answer, they are not really gonna come out and say that their console is slower, it would damage their sale. We will just have to wait and see if all this is true, but if it is and when people can compare both in their own homes and see one is better, what is going to happen.

Here is another piece, a piece that says....pinch of salt re: edge article:

http://techland.time.com/2013/09/13/id-be-skeptical-of-reports-about-the-playstation-4-being-50-faster-than-xbox-one/#ixzz2enu3eqLR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Jesus Richard, your just a fountain of knowledge. Wikileaks my hole:pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement