Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

They will delay it till after Christmas, they want to sell as many PS3/360 versions of the game as possible and when that demand winds down, then they will announce it, but as I mentioned here before I would prefer not to see it on next-gen and let them focus on other games like RDR 2 or Agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Xenji wrote: »
    They will delay it till after Christmas, they want to sell as many PS3/360 versions of the game as possible and when that demand winds down, then they will announce it, but as I mentioned here before I would prefer not to see it on next-gen and let them focus on other games like RDR 2 or Agent.

If GTA online is really going to grow as they've said I'd rather not be playing it on current gen in 2 years time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Right, I'll be going to an Xbox One hands on later tonight, so will report what it's like later/tomorrow.

If there's a chance for a few questions, I'll ask, so if there's a burning question you want answered, post below.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

CatInABox wrote: »
    Right, I'll be going to an Xbox One hands on later tonight, so will report what it's like later/tomorrow.

If there's a chance for a few questions, I'll ask, so if there's a burning question you want answered, post below.

see if you can get the messurements of the actual xbox mate, cause im trying to see if it will fit in the alocated spot i have for it :pac: (serious question)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 988 ✭✭✭deadeye187

Check will it do my taxes!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    see if you can get the messurements of the actual xbox mate, cause im trying to see if it will fit in the alocated spot i have for it :pac: (serious question)

W: 34.3cm
    D: 26.3cm
    H: 8cm

Was worked out by taking the USB port apparently and extrapolating the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

W: 34.3cm
    D: 26.3cm
    H: 8cm

Was worked out by taking the USB port apparently and extrapolating the rest.

well if their correct it will do :) thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

- can you bring your 360 controller with you so you can do a hands on comparison ?
    - Noise when its running ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Ask about GTA V :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

syboit wrote: »
    - can you bring your 360 controller with you so you can do a hands on comparison ?
    - Noise when its running ?

Leaving now, but pockets not big enough. Will check the size of the 360's now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭mark_m360

Leaving now, but pockets not big enough. Will check the size of the 360's now.

Find out the price of the games on Xbox Live. If they will be RRP or whatever.

Outside the place now, as expected, totally male. Even from five feet away, the controller looks bogger, but isn't. Just looks that way because it is flatter along the top, between the shoulder buttons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Even from five feet away, the controller looks bogger,

How's she cuttin, hai?

Ha, bigger!

feels different in the hand, took half a lap on forza to get used to it. Finished first, having played more like it was burnout, then crashed the console and handed it to the next person.

Ha, bigger!

feels different in the hand, took half a lap on forza to get used to it. Finished first, having played more like it was burnout, then crashed the console and handed it to the next person.

Crashed the console?

Are they playing on Xbox One's or PC's?

mark_m360 wrote: »
    Crashed the console?

Are they playing on Xbox One's or PC's?

Console, definitely. The OS is clearly not finished on these, the reps are at pains to point it out.

The games themselves seem to be fine, no problems in them really, but all the crashes are once you go to the guide

Console, definitely. The OS is clearly not finished on these, the reps are at pains to point it out.

The games themselves seem to be fine, no problems in them really, but all the crashes are once you go to the guide

So the rumours of an unfinished OS were not far off. At least they are playing on consoles. Will they be doing more of these sessions here in the lead up to the launch?

Just got back in afterwards, the event I was at was organised by the guardian, and was in their coffee shop in Shoreditch boxpark. Around 30 people were invited to this event, and it had about 4 Microsoft people there as well.

The controller is almost exactly the same size, but getting it into your hands for the first time, it does feel strange, it's like the two prongs are slightly longer, so it feel different in your palms. The trigger buttons are now curved along the horizontal, making them both wider and easier to press. It also gives more surface area for the rumble, which is itself very good. The thumb sticks have a more pronounced lip, so for me it seemed easier to get grip. All in all, I can see it being better than the 360 controller.

The console is big, but not as big as people would think. When the console was up on the pedestal for pictures, it looked big, but once it was under a tv, it didn't catch my eye at all. That's my standard for whether something is big or not. I didn't hear any of the consoles, even when my ear was within a foot of it. It was a relatively noisy room though, and the disk drive wasn't in use at all. I put my hand on top of it and the heat was pretty warm, but I'd expect a console that was on since the early afternoon(someone asked) to be warmer.

The Kinect wasn't used or demonstrated at all, so all I can tell you is the impressions of the size, and I did think it was large. I didn't pick it up, but it looked a little larger than the current Kinect. Then again, I haven't really looked at my Kinect in ages either.

The first game I tried was Forza, one track, one lap, five cars. I tried all five cars, which were a mix of old, new, and supercars. The game looks fantastic, both exterior and interiors are like sitting in the car, and every thing is butter smooth as well. The only pop up visible is in the on screen mirrors. The game isn't really my cup of tea, I'm more of an arcade racer to be honest, but in fairness, playing it like burnout did result in a fair bit of car damage. The rumble in the controllers on this was fantastic, and was definitely something that got you thinking "why didn't anyone think of this before?". It gave me instant feedback on whether I was getting wheel spin or the ABS had kicked in.

The next game I tried was Killer Instinct, which again, isn't my cup of tea, I just don't really click with them. I had a few games of that, which was two player, and it was quite fun. I employed the age old tactic of mashing buttons, which seemed to work out well for me. There was two stages, with four characters to choose from. I tried them all out, and was quite impressed with it. No rumble on this.

The final game, Ryse, was not working unfortunately, which was the only game I really wanted to test out. Hadn't really followed it at all, but because it's more my type of game, it's the one I wanted to check out. I asked why it wasn't work, and they said that the version on the consoles is constantly updated from the Crytek servers, and the most recent update broken the game. I'd be inclined to believe her on this one, as someone did go into the game, and took a look around, it seemed more like a finished game than the other two, i.e. there was menu screens, level select, multiplayer options. Eventually one of the Microsoft people put him back into Forza.

At times, I pressed the Xbox Guide button, and it popped right back out to the menu. Felt faster than the 360 for moving around. It was also clear that this was a work in progress. A lot of the icons had "Coming soon" as their name. If you went somewhere unexpected, there was a chance that the console would crash, and reset. I think I saw one game crash, and it was all handled by the OS brilliantly. The Xbox just went back to the OS, and continued on, no reset required.

All in all, I was impressed by my hands on, and will be looking forward to seeing more.

Also, the brownies in the guardiancoffee are lovely! Staff also seemed really nice, both the Guardian and Microsoft staff.

mark_m360 wrote: »
    So the rumours of an unfinished OS were not far off. At least they are playing on consoles. Will they be doing more of these sessions here in the lead up to the launch?

Not sure, I asked would there be more, and there was a few others like the eurogamer expo, but there was no mention of any in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭DK224

I wonder if the fact Ryse wasn't playable at the Guardian playtest maybe means it is the launch game that had to undergo the last minute Audio overhaul we heard about a few weeks back?

Add that possibility to the news that the game isn't running at full 1080p but at a native 900p and also the poor reviews people have given to the earlier demo and it looks like it'll end up being a disappointment

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ryse-runs-at-900p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

DK224 wrote: »
    I wonder if the fact Ryse wasn't playable at the Guardian playtest maybe means it is the launch game that had to undergo the last minute Audio overhaul we heard about a few weeks back?

Add that possibility to the news that the game isn't running at full 1080p but at a native 900p and also the poor reviews people have given to the earlier demo and it looks like it'll end up being a disappointment
    Which will likely be something that isn't going to surprise a lot of people.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Which will likely be something that isn't going to surprise a lot of people.

Yeah, even though it is definitely more my type of game than the others, it wasn't a game I was ever really thinking of getting. I think the history of it, the fact that it was originally meant to be a Kinect game has really dampened expectations for it. At this stage, if it is fairly good, it could probably be considered a success.

The Microsoft person I spoke to said that it was 95% percent complete.

Xbox One TV will not work outside of the US and Japan for the foreseeable future and also quite a few more features that the 360 has at the moment will not work either, but Panello would not elaborate on them. It is quite possible that the likes of Netflix and Sky Go will also be affected by this.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/09/20/xbox-one-wont-get-a-lot-of-stuff-360-has-for-for-a-while-admits-penello/
    “TV, if you want to continue, would be another criticism. We talk a lot about TV and that's only going to work basically in Japan and the U.S. at launch where you have HDMI-in scenarios, so you'll say 'hey, what if I have a terrestrial over the air?' We won't have a solution for that right away, but we still sell it as part of the vision. So it's honest criticism and you'd love to have the new launch be everything that you had before and more, but unfortunately it's an untenable [proposition].”
    But what about the fact that Xbox One won't have the full TV functionality at launch? Penello sees it as a demographic question. “It's not going to be us – it's not the early adopters that this is a problem [for] - which is why we're not prioritising solving it right off the bat, because the price of the consoles will have to come down like they do in every generation, the market will expand, we'll eventually catch up to the people who are probably laggards in TV, and by that time we'll have a more robust story than we have at launch.” So in summary – the TV stuff's not really for you, but by the time your mum and dad want a machine it'll totally work.

Also you should not leave your console upright or it could damage your system.
    Panello revealed to GameSpot at the Tokyo Game Show, "We don't support vertical orientation; do it at your own risk." He clarified that "it wouldn't be a cooling problem, we just didn't design the drive for vertical. Because it's a slot loading drive, we just didn't design it for both".

The Xbox One isn't the only system to feature a slot loading drive; both the PlayStation 3--original and slim models--and PlayStation 4 have a similar design, and users are free to orient those consoles horizontally or vertically without risking damage to the console.

Panello stated that Microsoft discovered that "we found, interestingly enough, that 80 percent of people, believe it or not, have their Xbox [360] horizontally".

The Xbox One is scheduled for launch in North America, most European markets, Australia, and New Zealand on November 22 this year, with follow-up releases in Japan and the remaining European markets in 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

In my opinion, Sony are better at hardware, but I'm still not sure I'd risk either console on its side.

The full and very candid interview with Albert Penello, TGS: Microsoft on its Vision for Xbox One......And why that vision won't be reality at launch......

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/09/20/tgs-microsoft-on-its-vision-for-xbox-one

It is a good read, very surprised that they are being so open about the issues they are facing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Xenji wrote: »
    The full and very candid interview with Albert Penello, TGS: Microsoft on its Vision for Xbox One......And why that vision won't be reality at launch......

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/09/20/tgs-microsoft-on-its-vision-for-xbox-one

It is a good read, very surprised that they are being so open about the issues they are facing.

I think they absolutely have to be at this late stage especially since most of the news regarding tv for us isn't particularly good news if you are into that feature.

tok9 wrote: »
    I think they absolutely have to be at this late stage especially since most of the news regarding tv for us isn't particularly good news if you are into that feature.

Yeah, it's not just about getting information about the Xbox One across anymore, it's about rebuilding the trust that the Xbox One reveal destroyed.

Not terribly surprising that it won't have as much stuff on it. All the apps on the 360 will need to be re-coded, not just for the change in processor architecture, but for all the features that the Xbox One supports.

Has anyone heard if netflix will be available on Xbox and PS4? With both Sony and Microsoft getting into TV, it will be interesting to see what happens in that space.

Yeah, it's not just about getting information about the Xbox One across anymore, it's about rebuilding the trust that the Xbox One reveal destroyed.

Not terribly surprising that it won't have as much stuff on it. All the apps on the 360 will need to be re-coded, not just for the change in processor architecture, but for all the features that the Xbox One supports.

Has anyone heard if netflix will be available on Xbox and PS4? With both Sony and Microsoft getting into TV, it will be interesting to see what happens in that space.

Sony will have all major streaming services such as Netflix and Hulu, Yoshida confirmed it on twitter months ago, you also do not need PS+ to use them. I think Sony's TV service will be different as they own all the content, so you would not have any copyright or distribution issues, the same cannot be said for Xbox TV though as they will be more like Netflix.

Microsoft have not announced any deals yet and I have not even read any rumors about them offering Netflix or Sky Go. With the launch of Xbox TV you would think that they would not offer these services as they would be competing against themselves, also you need a Live subscription to watch any potential streaming services including their own.

Iam also guessing ps4 will come with cinavia out of the box (or whatever the next iteration is!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Iam also guessing ps4 will come with cinavia out of the box (or whatever the next iteration is!)

So will the ONE, all Blu ray player manufactured since 2012 have to have it as part of the licence.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement