Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Right oh, i think you've nipped that conversation in the bud. :P

Since you have no interest in indie games, chiming in on discussions about them only lends to sidetrack from any relevant discussion about indie games

I gave my opinion on an article and people replied to me, of course I am going to reply back :) this is the xbone discussion thread isnt it? I'm simply discussing my views on indie games on being with the xbox one, I didnt derail this topic , its other people who replied to me saying I dont like indie games :pac: fact they seem annoyed over it is hilarious :pac:

so back to my orginal post, I personaly do not care if indie games come to the "xbox one" because I dont like them and it seems like a backwards move in terms of technology, but like I said if their was/is a vote , I'll happily vote in the majority for people who do enjoy them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I think Microsoft have been too slow to bring out details of their plan for Indie games, but overall I think they will have the better process.

Sony do seem to have gone to great lengths to get 'Indie' developers on board, but really they are only including small studios which aren't attached to a publisher. They don't (AFAIK) cater to 'guy in a bedroom' developers, which are sometimes the ones who come out with the most revolutionary stuff. Minecraft is a good example of this. If it had not been a big success on the PC first it would probably never have been accepted for consoles.

Microsoft's 'Every Xbox is a dev kit' plan, if it works the way we all think it should, means literally anyone can try their hand at making an Xbox game. And they get an easy distribution channel to millions of customers built in. It means the next Minecraft type success could potentially be built and distributed on Xbox first, by developers that Sony haven't even heard of.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

How can you not like what you haven't played?

And for the record I don't think anyone is annoyed or 'taking it anal' whatever that's supposed to mean. I think most just wonder how you claim not to like something you haven't played.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

maximoose wrote: »
    Care to recommend a few?

Journey, Guacamelee, Thomas Was Alone, Hotline Miami (the last three are regularly played on my Vita)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    I gave my opinion on an article and people replied to me, of course I am going to reply back :) this is the xbone discussion thread isnt it? I'm simply discussing my views on indie games on being with the xbox one, I didnt derail this topic , its other people who replied to me saying I dont like indie games :pac: fact they seem annoyed over it is hilarious :pac:

so back to my orginal post, I personaly do not care if indie games come to the "xbox one" because I dont like them and it seems like a backwards move in terms of technology, but like I said if their was/is a vote , I'll happily vote in the majority for people who do enjoy them.

I completely agree with you, you should be entirely ignored :P

So what's this about indie games? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

And for the record I don't think anyone is annoyed or 'taking it anal' whatever that's supposed to mean. I think most just wonder how you claim not to like something you haven't played.

It's an odd stance alright. I can understand not liking a genre, say FPS or strategy games but "Indie games" aren't a genre really, just a way of describing a game made by a smaller team. That said I think it's going to be a lot harder to distinguish between the two now that it seems Sony and MS will be lumping them in with every type of game regardless of team size or budget which can only be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I'm not really sure how someone can dislike Indie games.

Indie isn't a genre, it's not like a shooter or adventure game, it can be any type of genre.

The sooner we stop calling them indie games, the better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Is the Day One Xbox Live 12 month sub worth it?:
    http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Day-One-12-Month-Xbox-Live-Gold-Membership/productID.282262700

If so, will we be getting it over here?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

shuffles03 wrote: »
    Is the Day One Xbox Live 12 month sub worth it?:
    http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Day-One-12-Month-Xbox-Live-Gold-Membership/productID.282262700

If so, will we be getting it over here?

You will have to get one anyway if you plan on using any services like Netflix or playing online, although with Xbox TV you probably will not see other services such as Sky Go or Netflix as they would be competing against themselves, the only added bonus is some special stuff for Killer Instinct.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

That comment should be directed to everyone on this thread (and other threads all over the internet) that have been scathing in their criticism of the xbone and more specifically kinect. If you use it and dont like it fair enough, but to whinge and complain about something you have never seen, never read a review of or never interacted with baffles me.

Never played an indie game in my life but I want any console I have to have as big a library of games as possible. More games = more players = more sold = more new games developed etc.

• Advertisement

That comment should be directed to everyone on this thread (and other threads all over the internet) that have been scathing in their criticism of the xbone and more specifically kinect. If you use it and dont like it fair enough, but to whinge and complain about something you have never seen, never read a review of or never interacted with baffles me.

Never played an indie game in my life but I want any console I have to have as big a library of games as possible. More games = more players = more sold = more new games developed etc.

A honest question to go along with that, how will people feel if all the internet rumors ended up being true, such as the X1 not being as powerful as the PS4, cross platform games not looking as good, lack of Indie titles ect.......will you regret buying it, be angry over it or just make the best of it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Xenji wrote: »
    A honest question to go along with that, how will people feel if all the internet rumors ended up being true, such as the X1 not being as powerful as the PS4, cross platform games not looking as good, lack of Indie titles ect.......will you regret buying it, be angry over it or just make the best of it.

Did people regret buying the Playstation 3 in this generation? Technically the cross platform games on that were worse for years, and I don't know of anyone that regretted purchasing one.

I won't regret it, or feel anything, but then again, I don't really get tech envy.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Did people regret buying the Playstation 3 in this generation? Technically the cross platform games on that were worse for years, and I don't know of anyone that regretted purchasing one.

I won't regret it, or feel anything, but then again, I don't really get tech envy.

I do think tech envy is far more commonplace and rampant now than it was 7 years ago, I also think people are more informed about their purchases as well with money being so tight for so many at the moment and they try and get the best bang for their buck so to speak as it is a big investment, of course not everybody is like that and people will buy it regardless.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I do think tech envy is far more commonplace and rampant now than it was 7 years ago, I also think people are more informed about their purchases as well with money being so tight for so many at the moment and they try and get the best bang for their buck so to speak as it is a big investment, of course not everybody is like that and people will buy it regardless.

Yeah, tech envy and the need to feel like you have made the right choice are the root cause of the currently rampant fanboyism that's currently going around.

I feel it'll all settle down in six months to a year, and people will be too busy enjoying new games to worry about such things. I live in constant hope......:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

It isn't going to be a concern. It'll just be a factor in whether I buy a game for one console or the other. And I'll buy the exclusives I want on the console to which it is exclusive.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

That comment should be directed to everyone on this thread (and other threads all over the internet) that have been scathing in their criticism of the xbone and more specifically kinect. If you use it and dont like it fair enough, but to whinge and complain about something you have never seen, never read a review ofy or never interacted with baffles me.

If you can find a post of mine where I do any of the above then feel free to quot. But I think you'll find I was very much part of the wait and see brigade.

I've pre-ordered too btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

If you can find a post of mine where I do any of the above then feel free to quot. But I think you'll find I was very much part of the wait and see brigade.

I've pre-ordered too btw.

Totally not directed at you mate, completely general comment about the console

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

I remember FEAR on the xbox360/ps3. All the reviews said FEAR looked so much better on the 360, I just couldnt see it myself and we had both copies in the house. (maybe I'm just going blind :)

It will be interesting to see some cross platform games, and if the 360 is less powerful or harder to dev on, will time contraints on the devs show this ? As it was said before they might just dumb down the version that looks better so they are all the same.

Exclusives is what I look for first, I'm hoping for some new halo/gears games. I just love the look of titanfall and that alone would convince me to stay with xbox, and not care what the other side are doing.

This is the Guardian Xbox One event I was at recently. Absolutely no new information in it.

See here

Somewhat unrelated, but Paul Thurrott has tweeted that Microsoft has demonstrated Halo 4 running on a windows phone. Their version of "OnLive", powered by their Azure cloud.

Paul Thurrott is a Microsoft watcher, and is usually right regarding inside scoops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭rob808

When Ms gona announce there bundles Sony already started

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

rob808 wrote: »
    When Ms gona announce there bundles Sony already started

No bundles this year.
    http://www.themoderngamer.com/articles/2013/9/22/qa-session-with-xboxs-major-nelson

What hell really guess they like screwing customers like with play and charge kit instead of building it into the controller like Sony Ds4.I hope they do another 180 and announce bundles kinda strange they don't when Sony doing great bundle are Ms going backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

New PS4 mega bundle might tip a few if us to the dark side http://www.geek.com/games/ps4-killzone-mega-bundle-confirmed-for-uk-matches-xbox-one-price-1571992/ have both booked for day one, I still think there's life left in the 360 and I'm starting to drift to the Sony after a 13 year divorce, if somebody brings out a 360 controller for the ps4 I'm gone. The playstation controller just feels odd and old these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The playstation controller just feels odd and old these days.

It's gone and replaced, the DS4 controller is bigger and chunkier with improved triggers and sticks. It's actually designed for man sized hands now thank feck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

New PS4 mega bundle might tip a few if us to the dark side http://www.geek.com/games/ps4-killzone-mega-bundle-confirmed-for-uk-matches-xbox-one-price-1571992/ have both booked for day one, I still think there's life left in the 360 and I'm starting to drift to the Sony after a 13 year divorce, if somebody brings out a 360 controller for the ps4 I'm gone. The playstation controller just feels odd and old these days.

Its probably the symmetrical thumbsticks that are your main complaint, but I'd suggest trying the new controller before condemning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

So used to the xbox controller, it just feels way more natural. The modern playstation one still feels like something from the early 90's...

I'm getting both but feel like MS screwing people over more than Sony no bundles like come on MS give us value for our money and no build in recharge batteries I'm no fanboy but the ps4 seem the better console to buy and funny thing is Sony in a worse state than MS money wise and Sony give us better value:D

So used to the xbox controller, it just feels way more natural. The modern playstation one still feels like something from the early 90's...

Yes and I agree 100% but the PS4 has a new controller design. I have only gotten used to the PS3 controller recently, not comfortable at all but usable. I loved the Xbox controller the big one released in 2001, the 360 one is very good too but nothing as comfortable as the first chunky monkey controller.

• Advertisement

rob808 wrote: »
    I'm getting both but feel like MS screwing people over more than Sony no bundles like come on MS give us value for our money and no build in recharge batteries I'm no fanboy but the ps4 seem the better console to buy and funny thing is Sony in a worse state than MS money wise and Sony give us better value:D

Don't forget the value of PS Plus compared to Games with Gold, MS are a joke in that line.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement